Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Good Guy With A Gun...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

A Good Guy With A Gun...

Thankfully no one was hurt...

Former firefighter stops man armed with 100 rounds of ammunition at south Springfield Walmart

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. The Springfield Police Department says it responded to a call of an active shooter at the Walmart Neighborhood Market at Republic Rd., near Golden Ave., Thursday evening.

The Springfield Police Department arrived on scene within three minutes of the call. Police stated that a young white male, appearing to be in his twenties, pulled up to the Walmart, where he donned body armor and military fatigues. Police say the man had tactical weapons.

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Hea...528602951.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From the articles I'm reading, people are speculating that he might have been an open carry activist who was flexing his rights in Missouri after the two recent incidences. It's a strange tactic by open carry activists to walk through heavily populated areas with AR-15s strapped to their back so that they can get into confrontations and explain the law to people. Here's some examples of it happening in different Walmarts.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As I mentioned in the other thread, the tactic Adrift mentioned ended up backfiring by prompting several businesses to adopt no-carry policies.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

4. Amen Adrift, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well there is "exercising your rights" and there is, "I am a complete moron, who thinks it's OK to brandish a loaded weapon in public"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    When this first started becoming a trend, the NRA website had a blog post up asking people not to do this because people find it "weird". A friend of mine (combat veteran and gun enthusiast) was pointing to this as an example of how most gun owners are reasonable at heart.

Then the next day, they took down that post and put up a new one about how there was nothing wrong with exercising your rights. He was mad.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

7. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Walking around in public with a rifle slung around your neck? That is just asking for trouble and causing public panic. They might not be able to arrest you specifically for illegally carrying a rifle in public but they could get you for disturbing the peace or acting in a threatening manner.

9. Amen QuantaFille amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Well there is "exercising your rights" and there is, "I am a complete moron, who thinks it's OK to brandish a loaded weapon in public"
    This is where I'm 100% in support of tightening up the intent portion -- currently, most of these laws seem to require the police to show intent that the person was brandishing the weapon in a threatening manner...

To me, it should be "in such a way that a reasonable person would be concerned" or something like that.

Certainly, a guy openly carrying an AR-15 in Walmart after we just had a mass shooting in a Walmart is a GROSS abuse of the "right to bear arms" concept.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

11. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    When this first started becoming a trend, the NRA website had a blog post up asking people not to do this because people find it "weird". A friend of mine (combat veteran and gun enthusiast) was pointing to this as an example of how most gun owners are reasonable at heart.
    This!!!

Then the next day, they took down that post and put up a new one about how there was nothing wrong with exercising your rights. He was mad.
    Yeah, not that!

13. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'll have to review my CHL training material, but I THOUGHT it was the law in Texas that, when encountering a person with a firearm, the police officer has the legal right to require the armed person to temporarily surrender their weapon (for the officer's safety during the encounter) or to secure it.

But I think that the "out" is the fact that, in a traffic stop, the officer would already have had probable cause to temporarily detain the driver. In the case of somebody standing on the street with a weapon, there is no such probable cause.

(just publicly thinking this through )

15. Amen KingsGambit, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'll have to review my CHL training material, but I THOUGHT it was the law in Texas that, when encountering a person with a firearm, the police officer has the legal right to require the armed person to temporarily surrender their weapon (for the officer's safety during the encounter) or to secure it.

But I think that the "out" is the fact that, in a traffic stop, the officer would already have had probable cause to temporarily detain the driver. In the case of somebody standing on the street with a weapon, there is no such probable cause.

(just publicly thinking this through )
    I've seen a lot of these open carry videos (I only grabbed the few I could find quickly), and generally speaking it always seems like they end up getting away with it. I think the big problem is that, even if the officer is correct about it being a nuisance, they simply don't have the law memorized, whereas these sovereign citizen type guys will rattle off a bunch of laws (most of which do not apply), and get the officer all confused, and it becomes a hassle no one wants to deal with.

Recently there was a big open carry protest in some Southern state where a bunch of people were marching with AR-15s strapped to their backs, and I believe the chief of police got into some hot water for attempting to squelch it, even though it was freaking out people in the neighborhood who called the police. I'll have to see if I can find the article.

17. Amen KingsGambit, Teallaura amen'd this post.