Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Good Guy With A Gun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Well the OP article says "former firefighter" - I am assuming retired.
    Yeah, I think I saw something newer....

Off-Duty Firefighter Stops Man With Rifle in Missouri Walmart

A man carrying a rifle and wearing body armor was detained Thursday evening after causing a panic at a Missouri Walmart, according to police and local media reports.

The white male, who appeared to be in his 20s, walked into the Walmart Neighborhood Market in Springfield, Missouri wearing body armor and military fatigues and carrying tactical weapons as well as more than one hundred rounds of ammunition, the Springfield Police Department said, which responded within three minutes of being called.

The man was filming himself walking around the store pushing a cart when the store manager pulled the fire alarm to warn customers to escape. The man exited through an emergency exit.

An off-duty firefighter then held the heavily armed man at gunpoint until police arrived.

“His intent was not to cause peace or comfort to anybody that was in the business,” Police Lieutenant Mike Lucas said. “In fact, he’s lucky to be alive still to be honest.”

“Nobody was harmed, thankfully,” Lucas said. “Just a really scary, dangerous situation that thankfully got resolved, and everyone’s going home tonight.”

“All we know is the fact that he walked in here heavily armed with body armor on, in military fatigues and caused a great amount of panic inside the store. So he certainly had the capability the potential to harm people.”

By the way - I think THAT should be prosecutable, though he probably didn't break any current laws. Any reasonable person "knew, or should have known, that this conduct would cause panic..."
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yeah, I think I saw something newer....

Off-Duty Firefighter Stops Man With Rifle in Missouri Walmart

A man carrying a rifle and wearing body armor was detained Thursday evening after causing a panic at a Missouri Walmart, according to police and local media reports.

The white male, who appeared to be in his 20s, walked into the Walmart Neighborhood Market in Springfield, Missouri wearing body armor and military fatigues and carrying tactical weapons as well as more than one hundred rounds of ammunition, the Springfield Police Department said, which responded within three minutes of being called.

The man was filming himself walking around the store pushing a cart when the store manager pulled the fire alarm to warn customers to escape. The man exited through an emergency exit.

An off-duty firefighter then held the heavily armed man at gunpoint until police arrived.

“His intent was not to cause peace or comfort to anybody that was in the business,” Police Lieutenant Mike Lucas said. “In fact, he’s lucky to be alive still to be honest.”

“Nobody was harmed, thankfully,” Lucas said. “Just a really scary, dangerous situation that thankfully got resolved, and everyone’s going home tonight.”

“All we know is the fact that he walked in here heavily armed with body armor on, in military fatigues and caused a great amount of panic inside the store. So he certainly had the capability the potential to harm people.”

By the way - I think THAT should be prosecutable, though he probably didn't break any current laws. Any reasonable person "knew, or should have known, that this conduct would cause panic..."
      If nothing else couldn't he be charged with creating a disturbance?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As some have predicted, the guy's motive was a "second amendment test". https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missour...ond-amendment/
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          As some have predicted, the guy's motive was a "second amendment test". https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missour...ond-amendment/

The second amendment is only limited protection against public nuisance laws - even more so when all the other gun owners are calling you a jerk for doing it.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            The second amendment is only limited protection against public nuisance laws - even more so when all the other gun owners are calling you a jerk for doing it.
            "Jerk." Yeah, that's one word for it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              If nothing else couldn't he be charged with creating a disturbance?
              In our town with our laws, yes --- don't know about other states and municipalities.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In our town with our laws, yes --- don't know about other states and municipalities.
                Was this the one they took into custody? If so, they've got something they think they can charge him with...

So many idiots to keep track of!
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Was this the one they took into custody? If so, they've got something they think they can charge him with...

So many idiots to keep track of!
                  I'll never forget my instructor at my Police Academy many years ago -- he was a Irish Whale, complete with authentic accent and all. One of his favorite sayings...

"Tis a poor policeman who cannot think of a legitimate charge between the time of arrest and the time he gets to the station - even if he has to drive around the block a few times to come up with it".

Comment

I'll never forget my instructor at my Police Academy many years ago -- he was a Irish Whale, complete with authentic accent and all. One of his favorite sayings...

"Tis a poor policeman who cannot think of a legitimate charge between the time of arrest and the time he gets to the station - even if he has to drive around the block a few times to come up with it".

Does nothing for community trust - but it is funny...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Does nothing for community trust - but it is funny...
                      He got a real kick when I told him my story....

I was dispatched to a local bar where some guy was wanting to take on the neighborhood. As I approached the location, there was this guy on the front porch in some Karate Kid stance warning me not to come any closer.

I kept my distance as he pointed to a brightly colored patch on his jacket, and proudly proclaimed "See this patch? THAT means I'm a black belt in Judo!" Then he pointed to another patch, "See THIS patch? That means I'm a black belt in Karate!" Then he resumed his Karate Kid pose.

I put my right hand on my .357, and with my left hand, I pointed to the metal badge over my nameplate - "See THIS little metal thing? That is my Sharpshooter Metal, and means I can put 3 rounds in your chest with no effort at all".

His eyes got real big, and he sounded stunned as he asked, "you would DO THAT?" I said, "well, I don't want to, but you just told me you're a deadly threat, so...."

He put his hands up and said, "Naw, man, I was only funnin', I don't want any trouble...."

Comment

from the article:

In a statement announcing the charge, Greene County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Patterson compared the man's actions to "falsely shouting fire in a theater causing a panic." "Missouri protects the right of people to open carry a firearm, but that does not allow an individual to act in a reckless and criminal manner endangering other citizens," Patterson said.

If convicted, the felony charge of making a terrorist threat in the second degree is punishable by up to four years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000, according to the prosecutor's office. The charge means he showed reckless disregard for the risk of causing an evacuation or knowingly caused fear that lives were in danger.

Comment

from the article:

In a statement announcing the charge, Greene County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Patterson compared the man's actions to "falsely shouting fire in a theater causing a panic." "Missouri protects the right of people to open carry a firearm, but that does not allow an individual to act in a reckless and criminal manner endangering other citizens," Patterson said.

If convicted, the felony charge of making a terrorist threat in the second degree is punishable by up to four years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000, according to the prosecutor's office. The charge means he showed reckless disregard for the risk of causing an evacuation or knowingly caused fear that lives were in danger.
                          good - I hope it sticks.

Comment

from the article:

Since this has been a big issue with other hardcore Sov-Cit, 2nd Amendment types (as the videos I've posted have demonstrated), I wonder how this will mark legal precedent if it goes to court.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              Since this has been a big issue with other hardcore Sov-Cit, 2nd Amendment types (as the videos I've posted have demonstrated), I wonder how this will mark legal precedent if it goes to court.
                              I don't know, but I am betting a lot more businesses and stores will have a "no guns allowed" policy.

I think it depends on the state but if you have a license to carry, you are not allowed to carry in places that have a posted policy against guns. That alone could probably get you arrested and your license revoked.

‘No Guns Allowed’ – What Should You Do?

The most important thing is that you know what the laws in your specific state are when it comes to businesses with these signs. A great resource for gun laws is the USCCA’s Gun Laws by State Map.

And remember, laws can vary greatly based on time and place. For example, in the state of Wisconsin (at the time of this filming), if you missed the sign and a business notices that you are carrying, the business must give you notice. You are given the chance to leave and comply. You only end up in legal hot water if you fail to leave after receiving that notice. However, in some other states, you may run into some serious legal problems just for missing the sign and entering the business. It is on you from a liability standpoint if you missed it. No warnings, no second chances; you will face charges if you are caught.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that there are some places without signs posted but that have strict “no carry” laws and policies. One example would be post offices. Also, depending on the building you are entering, the ramifications you may encounter could be because of federal laws, state laws or local laws.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...ns-what-to-do/

Comment

I don't know, but I am betting a lot more businesses and stores will have a "no guns allowed" policy.

I think it depends on the state but if you have a license to carry, you are not allowed to carry in places that have a posted policy against guns. That alone could probably get you arrested and your license revoked.

‘No Guns Allowed’ – What Should You Do?

The most important thing is that you know what the laws in your specific state are when it comes to businesses with these signs. A great resource for gun laws is the USCCA’s Gun Laws by State Map.

And remember, laws can vary greatly based on time and place. For example, in the state of Wisconsin (at the time of this filming), if you missed the sign and a business notices that you are carrying, the business must give you notice. You are given the chance to leave and comply. You only end up in legal hot water if you fail to leave after receiving that notice. However, in some other states, you may run into some serious legal problems just for missing the sign and entering the business. It is on you from a liability standpoint if you missed it. No warnings, no second chances; you will face charges if you are caught.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that there are some places without signs posted but that have strict “no carry” laws and policies. One example would be post offices. Also, depending on the building you are entering, the ramifications you may encounter could be because of federal laws, state laws or local laws.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...ns-what-to-do/

Yeah, you're probably right. I wonder if anything will change for those types who open-carry AR-15s on their back through city streets. I imagine not, but it should make things interesting.

Comment