Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A Good Guy With A Gun...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    The second amendment is only limited protection against public nuisance laws - even more so when all the other gun owners are calling you a jerk for doing it.
    from the article:

In a statement announcing the charge, Greene County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Patterson compared the man's actions to "falsely shouting fire in a theater causing a panic." "Missouri protects the right of people to open carry a firearm, but that does not allow an individual to act in a reckless and criminal manner endangering other citizens," Patterson said.

If convicted, the felony charge of making a terrorist threat in the second degree is punishable by up to four years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000, according to the prosecutor's office. The charge means he showed reckless disregard for the risk of causing an evacuation or knowingly caused fear that lives were in danger.

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    from the article:

In a statement announcing the charge, Greene County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Patterson compared the man's actions to "falsely shouting fire in a theater causing a panic." "Missouri protects the right of people to open carry a firearm, but that does not allow an individual to act in a reckless and criminal manner endangering other citizens," Patterson said.

If convicted, the felony charge of making a terrorist threat in the second degree is punishable by up to four years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000, according to the prosecutor's office. The charge means he showed reckless disregard for the risk of causing an evacuation or knowingly caused fear that lives were in danger.
    good - I hope it sticks.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

4. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    from the article:

Since this has been a big issue with other hardcore Sov-Cit, 2nd Amendment types (as the videos I've posted have demonstrated), I wonder how this will mark legal precedent if it goes to court.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Since this has been a big issue with other hardcore Sov-Cit, 2nd Amendment types (as the videos I've posted have demonstrated), I wonder how this will mark legal precedent if it goes to court.
    I don't know, but I am betting a lot more businesses and stores will have a "no guns allowed" policy.

I think it depends on the state but if you have a license to carry, you are not allowed to carry in places that have a posted policy against guns. That alone could probably get you arrested and your license revoked.

‘No Guns Allowed’ – What Should You Do?

The most important thing is that you know what the laws in your specific state are when it comes to businesses with these signs. A great resource for gun laws is the USCCA’s Gun Laws by State Map.

And remember, laws can vary greatly based on time and place. For example, in the state of Wisconsin (at the time of this filming), if you missed the sign and a business notices that you are carrying, the business must give you notice. You are given the chance to leave and comply. You only end up in legal hot water if you fail to leave after receiving that notice. However, in some other states, you may run into some serious legal problems just for missing the sign and entering the business. It is on you from a liability standpoint if you missed it. No warnings, no second chances; you will face charges if you are caught.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that there are some places without signs posted but that have strict “no carry” laws and policies. One example would be post offices. Also, depending on the building you are entering, the ramifications you may encounter could be because of federal laws, state laws or local laws.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...ns-what-to-do/

7. Amen Adrift, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't know, but I am betting a lot more businesses and stores will have a "no guns allowed" policy.

I think it depends on the state but if you have a license to carry, you are not allowed to carry in places that have a posted policy against guns. That alone could probably get you arrested and your license revoked.

The most important thing is that you know what the laws in your specific state are when it comes to businesses with these signs. A great resource for gun laws is the USCCA’s Gun Laws by State Map.

And remember, laws can vary greatly based on time and place. For example, in the state of Wisconsin (at the time of this filming), if you missed the sign and a business notices that you are carrying, the business must give you notice. You are given the chance to leave and comply. You only end up in legal hot water if you fail to leave after receiving that notice. However, in some other states, you may run into some serious legal problems just for missing the sign and entering the business. It is on you from a liability standpoint if you missed it. No warnings, no second chances; you will face charges if you are caught.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that there are some places without signs posted but that have strict “no carry” laws and policies. One example would be post offices. Also, depending on the building you are entering, the ramifications you may encounter could be because of federal laws, state laws or local laws.

Yeah, you're probably right. I wonder if anything will change for those types who open-carry AR-15s on their back through city streets. I imagine not, but it should make things interesting.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

And the open carry aspect - which is what was being exploited - often does not have the same restrictions as legal concealed carry permit holders do. I suspect this will be another wave of profitability for lawyers.

10. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    They will be lucky if they aren't laughed out of the trial court - the appellate courts will probably not even take it.

Very little case law is based on the Second Amendment - and the Court threw a monkey wrench at most of that with incorporation - but none of it holds that you have a right to disturb the peace just because you have a right to carry a weapon. The Second Amendment is not a license to act like a fool - or to misuse weapons or to cause others to fear legitimately for their safety. There's nothing in this 'lookie, we're being jerks' kind of 'test' that works in favor of gun rights - these morons are helping gun CONTROL if they are helping anything. But mostly, the courts aren't going to look at the Second Amendment since it doesn't grant the right to be a public nuisance.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And the open carry aspect - which is what was being exploited - often does not have the same restrictions as legal concealed carry permit holders do. I suspect this will be another wave of profitability for lawyers.
    Legislatures, more likely. Probably see some laws and ordinances coming in places where they wanna be sure to have a valid law on the books to bust the first idiot that tries something like this. Yay, gun control!

Usually, gun control advocates are its worst enemies - sometimes, the other guy gets to wear the shoe!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    They will be lucky if they aren't laughed out of the trial court - the appellate courts will probably not even take it.

Very little case law is based on the Second Amendment - and the Court threw a monkey wrench at most of that with incorporation - but none of it holds that you have a right to disturb the peace just because you have a right to carry a weapon. The Second Amendment is not a license to act like a fool - or to misuse weapons or to cause others to fear legitimately for their safety. There's nothing in this 'lookie, we're being jerks' kind of 'test' that works in favor of gun rights - these morons are helping gun CONTROL if they are helping anything. But mostly, the courts aren't going to look at the Second Amendment since it doesn't grant the right to be a public nuisance.
    Yeah, they're too smart by half. By pushing the limits, I think (and hope) the limits get pushed back.

14. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Yeah you are right, these guys are helping gun control, because it means they will more pass laws restricting where you can carry guns, and pretty soon while you are able to own a gun, you can't take it anywhere. Kinda like smoking.

16. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.