Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Good Guy With A Gun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I don't know, but I am betting a lot more businesses and stores will have a "no guns allowed" policy.

I think it depends on the state but if you have a license to carry, you are not allowed to carry in places that have a posted policy against guns. That alone could probably get you arrested and your license revoked.

‘No Guns Allowed’ – What Should You Do?

The most important thing is that you know what the laws in your specific state are when it comes to businesses with these signs. A great resource for gun laws is the USCCA’s Gun Laws by State Map.

And remember, laws can vary greatly based on time and place. For example, in the state of Wisconsin (at the time of this filming), if you missed the sign and a business notices that you are carrying, the business must give you notice. You are given the chance to leave and comply. You only end up in legal hot water if you fail to leave after receiving that notice. However, in some other states, you may run into some serious legal problems just for missing the sign and entering the business. It is on you from a liability standpoint if you missed it. No warnings, no second chances; you will face charges if you are caught.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that there are some places without signs posted but that have strict “no carry” laws and policies. One example would be post offices. Also, depending on the building you are entering, the ramifications you may encounter could be because of federal laws, state laws or local laws.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...ns-what-to-do/

And the open carry aspect - which is what was being exploited - often does not have the same restrictions as legal concealed carry permit holders do. I suspect this will be another wave of profitability for lawyers.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Since this has been a big issue with other hardcore Sov-Cit, 2nd Amendment types (as the videos I've posted have demonstrated), I wonder how this will mark legal precedent if it goes to court.
      They will be lucky if they aren't laughed out of the trial court - the appellate courts will probably not even take it.

Very little case law is based on the Second Amendment - and the Court threw a monkey wrench at most of that with incorporation - but none of it holds that you have a right to disturb the peace just because you have a right to carry a weapon. The Second Amendment is not a license to act like a fool - or to misuse weapons or to cause others to fear legitimately for their safety. There's nothing in this 'lookie, we're being jerks' kind of 'test' that works in favor of gun rights - these morons are helping gun CONTROL if they are helping anything. But mostly, the courts aren't going to look at the Second Amendment since it doesn't grant the right to be a public nuisance.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        And the open carry aspect - which is what was being exploited - often does not have the same restrictions as legal concealed carry permit holders do. I suspect this will be another wave of profitability for lawyers.
        Legislatures, more likely. Probably see some laws and ordinances coming in places where they wanna be sure to have a valid law on the books to bust the first idiot that tries something like this. Yay, gun control!

Usually, gun control advocates are its worst enemies - sometimes, the other guy gets to wear the shoe!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          They will be lucky if they aren't laughed out of the trial court - the appellate courts will probably not even take it.

Very little case law is based on the Second Amendment - and the Court threw a monkey wrench at most of that with incorporation - but none of it holds that you have a right to disturb the peace just because you have a right to carry a weapon. The Second Amendment is not a license to act like a fool - or to misuse weapons or to cause others to fear legitimately for their safety. There's nothing in this 'lookie, we're being jerks' kind of 'test' that works in favor of gun rights - these morons are helping gun CONTROL if they are helping anything. But mostly, the courts aren't going to look at the Second Amendment since it doesn't grant the right to be a public nuisance.
          Yeah, they're too smart by half. By pushing the limits, I think (and hope) the limits get pushed back.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah you are right, these guys are helping gun control, because it means they will more pass laws restricting where you can carry guns, and pretty soon while you are able to own a gun, you can't take it anywhere. Kinda like smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Yeah you are right, these guys are helping gun control, because it means they will more pass laws restricting where you can carry guns, and pretty soon while you are able to own a gun, you can't take it anywhere. Kinda like smoking.
              And it's a vicious cycle -- the more idiots like this push the limits, the more gun control will be advocated, and the more gun control is advocated, the more gun sales go up.

Comment

So one wonders what the aim is then, and why/how they've been able to get away with it before now.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  So one wonders what the aim is then, and why/how they've been able to get away with it before now.
                  I'm pretty sure the term 'idiot' sums it up. They wanted to prove something - and they didn't even get anyone to hold their beer!

There's one in every crowd - thinks they know everything and then proves the opposite.

They probably didn't try anything so extreme - or they got lucky and the cop just let them do their thing, get bored and leave, an option the cops have when the entire country isn't on edge.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment