Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Good Guy With A Gun...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    I've seen a lot of these open carry videos (I only grabbed the few I could find quickly), and generally speaking it always seems like they end up getting away with it. I think the big problem is that, even if the officer is correct about it being a nuisance, they simply don't have the law memorized, whereas these sovereign citizen type guys will rattle off a bunch of laws (most of which do not apply), and get the officer all confused, and it becomes a hassle no one wants to deal with.

Recently there was a big open carry protest in some Southern state where a bunch of people were marching with AR-15s strapped to their backs, and I believe the chief of police got into some hot water for attempting to squelch it, even though it was freaking out people in the neighborhood who called the police. I'll have to see if I can find the article.
    I think it all comes down to "no probable cause". When the activist is within his legal rights, there is no official reason for the police to be interacting with him, so no legitimate reason to ID or detain. I think it's a case of bad law.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here's the incident I was thinking of,

https://www.kcentv.com/article/news/.../500-532698226

Here are a couple other similar incidences,

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...guns-on-campus

https://www.dailycamera.com/2018/04/...uring-protest/

After awhile you start seeing certain advocate names pop up a lot like C.J. Grisham and Joey Gibson.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think it all comes down to "no probable cause". When the activist is within his legal rights, there is no official reason for the police to be interacting with him, so no legitimate reason to ID or detain. I think it's a case of bad law.
    I just wish the police knew the ordinances better, or at least had a list of city ordinances handy, because I've seen too many officers back down. For example, I remember one video where a open-carry guy was walking down a major highway's breakdown lane with an AR-15 strapped to his back. The police stopped him to see what he was up to, and, if I remember correctly, just let him on his way when he pointed out that he was well within his legal right. Drivers down the freeway were rightfully freaked out, but there wasn't much the police could do about it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I just wish the police knew the ordinances better, or at least had a list of city ordinances handy, because I've seen too many officers back down. For example, I remember one video where a open-carry guy was walking down a major highway's breakdown lane with an AR-15 strapped to his back. The police stopped him to see what he was up to, and, if I remember correctly, just let him on his way when he pointed out that he was well within his legal right. Drivers down the freeway were rightfully freaked out, but there wasn't much the police could do about it.
    See, to me that guy knew he would be freaking people out and scaring them and did it anyway, "because it was legal"

While it might be legal to carry the gun in public, causing a public panic is not. People could have been hurt in an attempt to get away from the guy for instance.

If some hunter were dressed up like a hunter and was carrying a shotgun or rifle around in a rural area where there are lots of such things going on, I don't see a problem. The context is that he is just going about his normal business and not trying to cause a panic. Take that same guy and put him in downtown New York and you have someone doing it to cause a panic. There is no hunting in downtown New York. No reason for someone to be carrying a rifle in public. It doesn't offer self defense, he could carry a handgun for that. It's only purpose is to "prove a point" while scaring people to post it on youtube.

6. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    See, to me that guy knew he would be freaking people out and scaring them and did it anyway, "because it was legal"

While it might be legal to carry the gun in public, causing a public panic is not. People could have been hurt in an attempt to get away from the guy for instance.

If some hunter were dressed up like a hunter and was carrying a shotgun or rifle around in a rural area where there are lots of such things going on, I don't see a problem. The context is that he is just going about his normal business and not trying to cause a panic. Take that same guy and put him in downtown New York and you have someone doing it to cause a panic. There is no hunting in downtown New York. No reason for someone to be carrying a rifle in public. It doesn't offer self defense, he could carry a handgun for that. It's only purpose is to "prove a point" while scaring people to post it on youtube.
    The crazy thing is that the sov-cits are usually the ones posting it to Youtube themselves. As if they are so certain of their right-ness, that they make it a point to post the videos themselves proving to the world that they're right. They don't seem to understand that you can be legally right, and also still a jerk.

8. Amen Sparko, One Bad Pig, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But I think that's the point - it's not that the officer doesn't know the ordinance - it's that the ordinance doesn't allow him to do anything to somebody lawfully complying with an open carry statute, regardless of how freaked people may be.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

10. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The crazy thing is that the sov-cits are usually the ones posting it to Youtube themselves. As if they are so certain of their right-ness, that they make it a point to post the videos themselves proving to the world that they're right. They don't seem to understand that you can be legally right, and also still a jerk.
    Sovereign Citizens are bonkers to begin with. I crack up when I see them on LivePD. "I don't need a license, I'm traveling!" - they have zero understanding of the constitution or the law.

12. Amen Adrift, Teallaura, KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Americans celebrating, also enjoying freedom, is demi supposed to be surprised?
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But I think that's the point - it's not that the officer doesn't know the ordinance - it's that the ordinance doesn't allow him to do anything to somebody lawfully complying with an open carry statute, regardless of how freaked people may be.
    My guess is it's a bit of both. The officer took the test, got the memo, knew the thing - and hasn't had an issue with it for two years. I mean, yeah, I could rat off all sorts of facts about chancroid - but the one time I had a suspected case I had to look up the tx. It was the one and only time I ever had someone treated for it in 18 years.

These guys keep fooling around and they will find officers better versed than they are - and new laws they didn't want just to make them stop being a public nuisance.

15. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    With SovCits, I bet there's instances where the officer knows they could nail them on something if they really wanted to but figures it's not worth the effort to deal with somebody so annoying.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

17. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.