Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Epstein Found Dead In Cell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, I don't like the long "cut up" stuff either, but how else can you respond to the various points made?

The only way around that, in this venue, would be for each person to keep their initial post short and succinct, limited to one major point.

I think that's why I poke my good friend Carpe so much about verbosity.
    you mean like:

Post Length Considerations
    The maximum post length is 24K characters not including quoted material. Do not use multiple posts to circumvent this restriction. Please keep your points concise and limit the number of major points made in a debate/discussion to 1 or 2 per post max as this encourages discourse. Rebuttal posts get undesirably lengthy from both a writer's and a reader's perspective when there are too many points to address. Additionally, please allow the other person to respond to your post before making additional substantive posts and points directed towards that same person (i.e. back-to-back responses to a single post are not allowed.)

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Just wanted to inform you that it isn't anything personal on your part. This has been a pet peeve of his for years.
      Ah, ok. Gotcha. Yeah, I remember when he first started making the complaint before the crash. I think I even got into a discussion with him about it then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        you mean like:

Post Length Considerations
        The maximum post length is 24K characters not including quoted material. Do not use multiple posts to circumvent this restriction. Please keep your points concise and limit the number of major points made in a debate/discussion to 1 or 2 per post max as this encourages discourse. Rebuttal posts get undesirably lengthy from both a writer's and a reader's perspective when there are too many points to address. Additionally, please allow the other person to respond to your post before making additional substantive posts and points directed towards that same person (i.e. back-to-back responses to a single post are not allowed.)
        Kinda sorta pretty much almost exactly like that. I think so much can get convoluted in these lengthy "back and forth"s.

I think sometimes, we need to stop and say, "ok, wait, make sure I understand you...."

But, yeah, kinda like that.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Please keep your points concise and limit the number of major points made in a debate/discussion to 1 or 2 per post max
          Never have I ever in my entire time on this forum disregarded this rule.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
            I have showed that so it is not a fact. http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post659210

Prediction: In this case it wont make a difference whether Reuters or an unmaned source said something though MM usually does not trust unnamed sources. This is going to be the convenient exception. Or the reply will simply focus on something else.
            Posts like this are why I find it difficult to take your accusations seriously, Charles. I clicked through to the Breitbart article you linked. Turns out, the article cites to, and links, a Reuters article. This means that the headline is accurate after all. Fail harder next time.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              It's not a "butchering" of a post. With the exception of MM, just about everyone else on Theologyweb is fine (and has been fine since it's inception) with replying to posts point by point. It's one of the benefits of discussion in an online written format. This is not a formal debate. In real life, I'd interject to make a point, or to rebut a misunderstanding. Here I can do so by using multiple quotes.
              Answering a post sentence by sentence is like having a conversation with someone who constantly interrupts you and often leads to taking points out of context and misrepresenting your opponent's arguments. It also makes it very difficult for others to follow a debate. In my experience, the practice almost always creates obscurity rather than clarity.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Answering a post sentence by sentence is like having a conversation with someone who constantly interrupts you and often leads to taking points out of context and misrepresenting your opponent's arguments. It also makes it very difficult for others to follow a debate. In my experience, the practice almost always creates obscurity rather than clarity.
                The point of it isn't to go sentence by sentence; it's to go point by point. I don't see how it should result in taking anything out of context; if anything, it should help pin down the context, especially in a conversation where multiple talking points are being debated.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  The point of it isn't to go sentence by sentence; it's to go point by point. I don't see how it should result in taking anything out of context; if anything, it should help pin down the context, especially in a conversation where multiple talking points are being debated.
                  Which is a WHOLE lot better than somebody "summarizing" or "paraphrasing" or "totally misrepresenting" what you said. I like to see the actual quote, so I can see the context.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In many cases they do it intentionally to obfuscate the main argument or point of the post. Just one example is Adrift implying I was arguing about fairness in the media in how they represented Trump and that's not AT ALL what I was arguing. I was making a point why I believe they wouldn't state false facts about the case. But he conveniently snipped it so he could in fact make that argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      But it often does result in taking things out of context.

Comment

Which is a WHOLE lot better than somebody "summarizing" or "paraphrasing" or "totally misrepresenting" what you said. I like to see the actual quote, so I can see the context.
                        That's why you quote the whole post you're replying to, so people can easily see the entire context of what you're replying to.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          In many cases they do it intentionally to obfuscate the main argument or point of the post. Just one example is Adrift implying I was arguing about fairness in the media in how they represented Trump and that's not AT ALL what I was arguing. I was making a point why I believe they wouldn't state false facts about the case. But he conveniently snipped it so he could in fact make that argument.
                          I don't think Adrift operates like that. I think he was responding to what he believed you were saying. That's why I don't like long posts.... somebody can be answering point by point, having derailed early in the response, and the rest of the response is along that derailed misperception.

That's why I think it's way better to keep posts short and concise, so there's time to say, "no, that's not at all what I meant"....

Comment

That's why you quote the whole post you're replying to, so people can easily see the entire context of what you're replying to.
                            OR, at least use the quote function so that somebody can see the context from which you stripped the limited quote.

Comment

OR, at least use the quote function so that somebody can see the context from which you stripped the limited quote.
                              If you use the quote function then anyone who wants can see the entire post that is being responded to for themselves even if it is a couple pages back with one simple click.

I just don't understand what the big deal is

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't think Adrift operates like that. I think he was responding to what he believed you were saying. That's why I don't like long posts.... somebody can be answering point by point, having derailed early in the response, and the rest of the response is along that derailed misperception.

That's why I think it's way better to keep posts short and concise, so there's time to say, "no, that's not at all what I meant"....
                                I made the same argument in two posts. The second one he misrepresented was the second post I made with my same points. I thought I made as clear as I could what my point was. If you want to think Adrift just isn't that smart, cool

Comment