Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Epstein Found Dead In Cell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    If you use the quote function then anyone who wants can see the entire post that is being responded to for themselves even if it is a couple pages back with one simple click.

I just don't understand what the big deal is
    In the case of posters like JimL, it's so he can twist your words into what he wants them to say. I think it's both cowardly and dishonest.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
      I made the same argument in two posts. The second one he misrepresented was the second post I made with my same points. I thought I made as clear as I could what my point was. If you want to think Adrift just isn't that smart, cool
      OK, I'll let him speak for himself - I just don't see him as doing that on purpose.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

MSM is mainly untrustworthy when they can exploit it with a partisan angle. In this case, since it works both against Clinton and Trump, there's not really any partisan angle MSM can really target without hurting one or the other. In most cases though, MSM works to dissuade conspiracy theories and tote the official line of the story (though there hasn't really been an official line with this story yet since it's still being investigated). There's already quite a few article hit pieces against Epstein conspiracy theories I've seen floating out there, especially against Trump's claim it was the Clintons. They've really jumped on that one. So it doesn't seem they'd be ready, perhaps even a bit reluctant to report unconfirmed facts that would fuel those theories even more.

It's funny that some people seem to forget this was propagated by the intelligence community. Sure the MSM took advantage of it because it worked against Trump, but this was the official government story reflecting off the MSM at the time and to question it dubbed Trump supporters as conspiracy theorists.
        True, it was a result of U.S. intelligence, which Trump has you all believing to be corrupt, just like he has you all believing the free press is corrupt, that judges are corrupt, that democracy itself is corrupt, and that only he, the liar and chief himself, can be believed. Well, we will soon see whether the U.S. democracy will survive, or whether your beloved and corrupt King Trump will triumph in the end. I'm putting my money on U.S. and democracy!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
          True, it was a result of U.S. intelligence, which Trump has you all believing to be corrupt, just like he has you all believing the free press is corrupt, that judges are corrupt, that democracy itself is corrupt, and that only he, the liar and chief himself, can be believed. Well, we will soon see whether the U.S. democracy will survive, or whether your beloved and corrupt King Trump will triumph in the end. I'm putting my money on U.S. and democracy!
          You're hilarious, Jimmy. You've become a parody of yourself.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

In many cases they do it intentionally to obfuscate the main argument or point of the post.
            This is simply untrue. That may be how someone takes it when they can't formulate a rebuttal to a point by point reply, but I imagine it isn't how most people on most forums take counter arguments that see a point-by-point reply.

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            Just one example is Adrift implying I was arguing about fairness in the media in how they represented Trump and that's not AT ALL what I was arguing.
            Regardless of what you intend, what I read is that you WERE talking about how the media represents Trump. I don't know how else to take your complaint, and I would have made the exact same counter-point regardless of whether or not I replied to your post in whole or point by point. It's because your point is apparently confused that I NEED to address each point on its own.

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            I was making a point why I believe they wouldn't state false facts about the case. But he conveniently snipped it so he could in fact make that argument.
            This is simply ad hom. I told you why I snipped your out the rest of your post, and even when I replied to your post in whole you balked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              But it often does result in taking things out of context.
              It does not. You and seanD are among the VERY few that believe this. Most people on this forum are comfortable with point by point replies. It provides clarity for most people about what exactly is being argued, and clears up any confusion that might be caused by replies that tend to drift. It's a perfectly fine way of discussing complicated matters on a text forum format. It's been this way for ages, and most people are not only okay with it, but find it helps follow the conversation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                OR, at least use the quote function so that somebody can see the context from which you stripped the limited quote.
                Yep. I make it a habit of always including the quote function for just this reason. And like most people, when a sentence or paragraph is snipped, that isn't to mislead people about the context of the quoted part, it's because the replier either has no qualms with the snipped bit, or feels that the snipped bit is irrelevant or intended for some other party in the discussion. This is really Message Forum 101, and it's frankly mindboggling to me why anyone would get upset about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  This is simply untrue. That may be how someone takes it when they can't formulate a rebuttal to a point by point reply, but I imagine it isn't how most people on most forums take counter arguments that see a point-by-point reply.

Regardless of what you intend, what I read is that you WERE talking about how the media represents Trump. I don't know how else to take your complaint, and I would have made the exact same counter-point regardless of whether or not I replied to your post in whole or point by point. It's because your point is apparently confused that I NEED to address each point on its own.

This is simply ad hom. I told you why I snipped your out the rest of your post, and even when I replied to your post in whole you balked.

It's not at all necessary for me to defend this anymore. Anyone can go to post #353 and see how you grossly misrepresented my point, which was the second post I made with the same points as previous. Stay truthful though, brother. Just sayin.

Comment

I made the same argument in two posts. The second one he misrepresented was the second post I made with my same points. I thought I made as clear as I could what my point was. If you want to think Adrift just isn't that smart, cool
                    And another ad hom. Nice. I did NOT misrepresent you. I followed the logic of your posts just fine. If you were making some other point that I either failed to address or misunderstood it's because you did not communicate the point well enough to be followed. I would have made the exact same sort of reply regardless of whether it was broken up or grouped into long-winded paragraphs.

Comment

It's not at all necessary for me to defend this anymore. Anyone can go to post #353 and see how you grossly misrepresented my point, which was the second post I made with the same points as previous. Stay truthful though, brother. Just sayin.
                      seanD, I did NOT misrepresent you, and I am NOT lying. I also invite forum members to reread the posts. I have nothing to be ashamed of, or to hide.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        It does not. You and seanD are among the VERY few that believe this.
                        I believe it because I've seen it happen to my own arguments.

Comment

I believe it because I've seen it happen to my own arguments.
                          IF it happens, I imagine it would have happened regardless of whether or not your posts were broken up or answered in whole, and my personal opinion is that it's more likely to happen when replied to in one chunk where individuals are more prone to talk past one another by not addressing every point they contend. For my part, I do NOT intentionally take people out of context. When I do snip, I am very careful to leave a quote link to the previous post. I believe it's an underestimation of the average reader of the forum to assume that they've somehow missed the greater context of the conversation because a post is broken up into point-by-point replies. In my opinion, it approximates real conversation where one person may interrupt the other for clarification before the first moves on to the next point.

Do you not think it's strange that almost every other person on the forum feels this way about posting on message forums other than yourself and seanD? In your opinion, why do so many others feel comfortable with this style of posting? For many years you yourself posted in this fashion, and seemed to have little issue with it. Occasionally, I still see you post in this fashion. I'm a member of several other forums (mostly non-religious/non-political in nature), and in my experience you two are the only ones I've EVER come across who've made such a complaint.

Comment

• Anyway, back on topic...

Epstein's death officially ruled a suicide.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/16/n...y-results.html

Comment

Anyway, back on topic...

Do you think that will end the conspiracy theory frenzy, or just feed it more?

Comment

Anyway, back on topic...

Nevertheless, it’s not exactly an open and shut case. Epstein's attorneys said they are not satisfied with the medical examiner's conclusions will conduct their own investigation into the circumstances of his death.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment