Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Epstein Found Dead In Cell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Can we proceed to trial on this case? Haven't various trials been undertaken when the criminal has already had his appointment with the undertaker?
    According to the Washington Post, Judge Berman said there would be no criminal trial...

There will be continued civil litigation. At least six of those who say they were victimized by Epstein have joined lawsuits against his estate, and representatives for others say they plan to make similar efforts, although the scope is unclear. Prosecutors also sought to assure the women that the investigation into those who might have aided Epstein would continue.

But Judge Richard M. Berman said at the outset the obvious yet painful truth: “Mr. Epstein’s death obviously means that a trial in which he is a defendant cannot take place.” Instead, Berman created a venue for the women to share their stories with each other and the world — some publicly for the first time, others retelling the now familiar horrors they endured in hopes of some bit of catharsis.

Somebody know something different?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Sadly, this will be yet another Lawyer Retirement Program.
      I'm hoping that the female victims get some sort of compensation. But I'm mainly hoping this will publicly expose his many high profile associates, political or otherwise.

Comment

• Mike was joking...
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

According to the Washington Post, Judge Berman said there would be no criminal trial...

There will be continued civil litigation. At least six of those who say they were victimized by Epstein have joined lawsuits against his estate, and representatives for others say they plan to make similar efforts, although the scope is unclear. Prosecutors also sought to assure the women that the investigation into those who might have aided Epstein would continue.

But Judge Richard M. Berman said at the outset the obvious yet painful truth: “Mr. Epstein’s death obviously means that a trial in which he is a defendant cannot take place.” Instead, Berman created a venue for the women to share their stories with each other and the world — some publicly for the first time, others retelling the now familiar horrors they endured in hopes of some bit of catharsis.

Sorta figure that it would be pointless to try a dead person. Now suing his estate OTOH... And going after co-conspirators... That's different.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

He didn't say there would be no criminal trial. He said Epstein is not a defendant obviously because he's dead. That doesn't mean investigations won't continue with not just the the means in how he died but future criminal indictments of his co-conspirators.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
              He didn't say there would be no criminal trial. He said Epstein is not a defendant obviously because he's dead. That doesn't mean investigations won't continue with not just the the means in how he died but future criminal indictments of his co-conspirators.
              Aren't you the guy who just whined about nit-picking? Epstein won't be on trial. Other factors will certainly be considered.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                I'm hoping that the female victims get some sort of compensation.
                Agreed.

But I'm mainly hoping this will publicly expose his many high profile associates, political or otherwise.
                And, let the chips fall where they may, though if there are people who are implicated who have any control over the process, it will be hot mess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  The simplest explanation of all the evidence we have is that he committed suicide and that the prison acted incompetently due to overworked staff. There isn't any good evidence to suggest anything else happened. While a conspiracy without being apriori implausible, it is still less plausible than the simplest explanation in this case given what evidence we have.
                  Actually, I think the problem is jumping to ANY conclusion based on the preliminary evidence we have.

I'm dubious of 'incompetence' as an explanation for multiple failures surrounding a very public inmate.
                  I'm dubious of 'conspiracy' as an explanation when all we have for evidence is innuendo about 'important' people.

There should be a full, independent inquiry. Once the bulldogs have finished, then we might know enough to draw conclusions.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

There are allegations of co-conspirators so this only eliminates the obvious - a trial of Epstein himself.

But it's too early to 'know' anything for sure.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      There are allegations of co-conspirators so this only eliminates the obvious - a trial of Epstein himself.

But it's too early to 'know' anything for sure.
                      As far as I'm concerned, the delinquent jailers and prison staff should be facing charges.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, the delinquent jailers and prison staff should be facing charges.
                        Probably - but don't forget the management/admin that put them there.

Separate discussion but I find most government agencies are top heavy - way more management than is justifiable. It's an outgrowth of several factors, including letting the fox guard the hen house.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          The simplest explanation of all the evidence we have is that he committed suicide and that the prison acted incompetently due to overworked staff. There isn't any good evidence to suggest anything else happened. While a conspiracy without being apriori implausible, it is still less plausible than the simplest explanation in this case given what evidence we have.
                          The operative phrase is given what evidence we have. For one thing, whether he hung himself or not, this is such a high profile and far reaching case, the American people need be assured, through investigation, exactly what the evidence shows. Too many unusual circumstances in connection with this death to just take what where told as fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Probably - but don't forget the management/admin that put them there.
                            I included them in "prison staff" - but, yeah, let's be clear - the prison ADMINISTRATION.

Separate discussion but I find most government agencies are top heavy - way more management than is justifiable. It's an outgrowth of several factors, including letting the fox guard the hen house.
                            That has been my issue with the public schools for AGES --- WAY too much "administration" and not enough foot soldiers / teachers.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              The operative phrase is given what evidence we have. For one thing, whether he hung himself or not, this is such a high profile and far reaching case, the American people need be assured, through investigation, exactly what the evidence shows. Too many unusual circumstances in connection with this death to just take what where told as fact.
                              But if Pelosi told you "what is", you'd buy it, no?

Comment

But if Pelosi told you "what is", you'd buy it, no?
                                Come on, that one isn't really fair.

Tempting, but not fair.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment