Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Epstein Found Dead In Cell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I didn't think of that. Most life insurance policies have a suicide exclusion.
    I think they only bind the first two years, in most cases.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I didn't think of that. Most life insurance policies have a suicide exclusion.
      Makes sense. There's a slightly similar situation in a local case of a widowed husband who is seeking to collect $1 million from Prudential Insurance Company on life insurance policies covering his deceased wife and son, both of whom were murdered two years ago. The case has gone unsolved. But Prudential refuses to pay until he is cleared of suspicion of murder. Something about a "slayer statute" in New Jersey.

https://www.nj.com/burlington/2019/0...ce-payout.html
      When I Survey....

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I thought he had been reassigned. Fired, for real?
        I can't get the link to copy. I think they said it was the cheif of the prison systems, whatever that is. So that may be not correct.

I think I'll ask a friend who works in the Victorville prison. He may be able to clarify.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          Was it noted here that the warden of that prison has been fired by the AG?
          I believe he was transferred rather than fired.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I believe he was transferred rather than fired.
            That's what the public sector does --- just move the problem child to a different position so he can screw things up there, as well.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Ah okay. Got the link to copy. Yeah it was the head of the Bureau and she was transferred out of the job she'd held TEMPORARILY. Hm, temporarily, for more than a year? Yeah I'd say the prisons system had issues when such a high postion is held...temporarily.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeffrey...ay-2019-08-19/

*former fed employee mulling that over*
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                Ah okay. Got the link to copy. Yeah it was the head of the Bureau and she was transferred out of the job she'd held TEMPORARILY. Hm, temporarily, for more than a year? Yeah I'd say the prisons system had issues when such a high postion is held...temporarily.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeffrey...ay-2019-08-19/

*former fed employee mulling that over*
                OK, but let's clarify -- he wasn't the warden, was he? He was the acting director of the Federal Bureau of Prisons -- that's usually the guy over all the wardens.

The acting director of the Federal Bureau of Prisons has been removed from his position more than a week after Jeffrey Epstein died by suicide while in federal custody. Attorney General William Barr announced Hugh Hurwitz's reassignment Monday, stating that he will be replaced by Dr. Hawk Sawyer.
                (NEW YORK) — Two guards assigned to watch Jeffrey Epstein the night he apparently killed himself in jail have been placed on leave and the warden has been removed as federal authorities investigate the financier’s death, the Justice Department said Tuesday.

I think we're talking about two different people - still checking for the warden's name.
                Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-19-2019, 04:17 PM.

Comment

OK, but let's clarify -- he wasn't the warden, was he? He was the acting director of the Federal Bureau of Prisons -- that's usually the guy over all the wardens.

(NEW YORK) — Two guards assigned to watch Jeffrey Epstein the night he apparently killed himself in jail have been placed on leave and the warden has been removed as federal authorities investigate the financier’s death, the Justice Department said Tuesday.

I think we're talking about two different people - still checking for the warden's name.
                  Yes, apparently two separate men... Hugh Hurwitz and warden Lamine N'Diaye

What did the Department of Justice say?

In a statement, Mr Barr "directed the Bureau of Prisons to temporarily assign" warden Lamine N'Diaye to a regional office, pending a full investigation.

He will be replaced by James Petrucci, the warden of the federal prison in Otisville, New York.

Comment

• It seems fairly clear at this point in time that Epstein really did kill himself. I think it would be more relevant to address why guards are working such intense overtime hours because that could actually result in something productive happening.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      It seems fairly clear at this point in time that Epstein really did kill himself. I think it would be more relevant to address why guards are working such intense overtime hours because that could actually result in something productive happening.
                      money

Comment

• Neither men, Lamine N'Diaye - warden of the MCC, or Hugh Hurwitz - director of the BOP was fired. They were both reassigned. Lamine N'Diaye was assigned to a different prison (in Philaphedia where he was assigned earlier and actually under fire for a food sickness debacle previously - I guess in government, job security is pretty solid no matter what).

As far as Hugh Hurwitz...

Attorney General William Barr has removed the acting director of the Bureau of Prisons from his position more than a week after millionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein took his own life while in federal custody.

Hugh Hurwitz’s reassignment Monday comes amid mounting evidence that guards at the chronically understaffed Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York abdicated their responsibility to keep the 66-year-old Epstein from killing himself while he awaited trial on charges of sexually abusing teenage girls. The FBI and the Justice Department’s inspector general are investigating his death.

Barr named Kathleen Hawk Sawyer, the prison agency’s director from 1992 until 2003, to replace Hurwitz. Hurwitz is moving to a role as a deputy in charge of the bureau’s reentry programs, where he will work with Barr on putting in place the First Step Act, a criminal justice overhaul.

Times
                        Gee that's some punishment. He's not only been reassigned, but he's working with Barr.

I guess someone in the know here can tell us if moving between those two bureaus is actually a (position/pay?) downgrade because I honestly have no idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          Neither men, Lamine N'Diaye - warden of the MCC, or Hugh Hurwitz - director of the BOP was fired. They were both reassigned. Lamine N'Diaye was assigned to a different prison (in Philaphedia where he was assigned earlier and actually under fire for a food sickness debacle previously - I guess in government, job security is pretty solid no matter what).

As far as Hugh Hurwitz...

Gee that's some punishment. He's not only been reassigned, but he's working with Barr.

I guess someone in the know here can tell us if moving between those two bureaus is actually a (position/pay?) downgrade because I honestly have no idea.
                          My experience with "Civil Service" is that it's nearly impossible to get fired. Kinda like many teacher or public school positions. They simply ignore the problem until it's too glaring, then they "reassign". And it all has to do with unions.

I seriously doubt it will be a decrease in pay OR a loss of pension.

Comment

My experience with "Civil Service" is that it's nearly impossible to get fired. Kinda like many teacher or public school positions. They simply ignore the problem until it's too glaring, then they "reassign". And it all has to do with unions.

I had one co-worker at the post office who kept his job after drinking in his mail truck. I had another who kept her job after getting videotaped by a trainee (admittedly illegally due to two way recording laws) speeding, texting and driving, and not wearing a seatbelt, all at the same time. I had another one who kept his job after having 3-4 accidents, and being taken back to the station in the back of a police car after going 20 over through a neighborhood while screaming and cursing at customers and telling one to put their autistic child in a cage. (Apparently the final video made its way on Facebook, though I never saw it.)
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

And, speaking of unions in situations like this, if the guy is anywhere near his retirement, he is often allowed to retire with full pension. PICK ME, PICK ME!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                I had one co-worker at the post office who kept his job after drinking in his mail truck. I had another who kept her job after getting videotaped by a trainee (admittedly illegally due to two way recording laws) speeding, texting and driving, and not wearing a seatbelt, all at the same time. I had another one who kept his job after having 3-4 accidents, and being taken back to the station in the back of a police car after going 20 over through a neighborhood while screaming and cursing at customers and telling one to put their autistic child in a cage. (Apparently the final video made its way on Facebook, though I never saw it.)
                                It is absolutely sickening - that is NOT what unions were for!

Comment