Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Fellowship (The Family)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I guess Mrs CP and I will give this a look.

Our experience with previous Netflix series is that they tend to start out "decent", then get progressively worse. We were really blown away when "designated survivor" suddenly devolved into a "F-word" context in the (3rd? 4th?) season, and we could no longer watch it.
    Yeah, Designated Survivor went downhill, Like the last season of Anne with the whole gay thing. And Netflix does tend liberal but this is an interesting story nonetheless.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Yeah, Designated Survivor went downhill, Like the last season of Anne with the whole gay thing. And Netflix does tend liberal but this is an interesting story nonetheless.
      There was another series we were watching -- a detective show -- where the first couple seasons were good, then it turned really dark, and everybody seemed to be having affairs with everybody else...

I think the same thing happened in... what's that show where the Sheriff says "I AM 911"...... it got really dark in subsequent episodes.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm a bit suspicious of attempts to "expose" religious groups from outsiders who don't know anything about religion. Former Kansas Senator Sam Brownback was a member of a Catholic group called Opus Dei that provided him fellowship in DC. Yeah, they did some weird stuff like mild self mutilation ("mortification"), but one New York Times writer tried to imply that he had Nazi connections because of it. That was ridiculous.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          I'm watching this Netflix
          Why watch Netflix? Like eating poisoned apple, so shiny on outside at first, not too bad then ugliness, evil, depravity of content hits.
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I'm a bit suspicious of attempts to "expose" religious groups from outsiders who don't know anything about religion. Former Kansas Senator Sam Brownback was a member of a Catholic group called Opus Dei that provided him fellowship in DC. Yeah, they did some weird stuff like mild self mutilation ("mortification"), but one New York Times writer tried to imply that he had Nazi connections because of it. That was ridiculous.
            I think the Netflix documentary series Wild Wild Country (about the Rajneesh cult) was very balanced. Probably a little too balanced, as a lot of it was pretty darn sinister, but yeah, based on personal experience, I tend to take outsider talk about cults with a bit of salt.

Comment

I guess Mrs CP and I will give this a look.

Our experience with previous Netflix series is that they tend to start out "decent", then get progressively worse. We were really blown away when "designated survivor" suddenly devolved into a "F-word" context in the (3rd? 4th?) season, and we could no longer watch it.
              well Designated survivor was a network show that started out decent, but the last season was a political hackjob. The producer decided to get all preachy about various political views. The first two seasons pretty much stayed away from polarized views (the President was an Independent) - and was more about spies and conspiracies - like who was behind the bombing and all that. I don't think I will watch season 4 IF it comes out.

Comment

There was another series we were watching -- a detective show -- where the first couple seasons were good, then it turned really dark, and everybody seemed to be having affairs with everybody else...

I think the same thing happened in... what's that show where the Sheriff says "I AM 911"...... it got really dark in subsequent episodes.
                Longmire.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Longmire.
                  Yeah, just remembered it in the other thread where BtC and I are discussing Indians.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

well Designated survivor was a network show that started out decent, but the last season was a political hackjob. The producer decided to get all preachy about various political views. The first two seasons pretty much stayed away from polarized views (the President was an Independent) - and was more about spies and conspiracies - like who was behind the bombing and all that. I don't think I will watch season 4 IF it comes out.
                    I think we only watched episode 1 and 2 of the third season, thinking that maybe episode 1 was a fluke, where characters were tossing around the F-bomb where they never did in the first two seasons. Episode 2 was just as bad, so we didn't even finish watching it. And, yeah, the plot kinda went all crazy.

Comment

I'm nearing the end of this documentary. A lot of the information they're providing about the group doesn't really seem that bad. I'm not, in principal, opposed to the concept of a losely affiliated group of Christians trying to grow a network of influence and make the world better.

However, things like having 'bibles' that only have a few chapters of the actual Bible in it concern me. I have some serious doctrinal concerns about the way they're casting some of the group's beliefs (particularly their concept of being 'chosen' by God and that status' relationship to the ability to sin), but I can't tell how biased Netflix is on that issue. It's also concerning that the founder and prominent leaders of the group was so openly admiring of the Nazis and other horrific groups. They seem careful to say they're admiring the groups' strength, commitment, or brotherhood. But I question the judgement of anyone who is so openly admirable of such a group.

Additionally, they seem to want to do God's work quietly, but a lot of it looks like they make huge deal about being 'invisible'....which is different than my normal conception of going about work 'quietly'.

Also, I'm really surprised about their being basically the unseen force behind the National Prayer Breakfast. I had no idea.
                      "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post

However, things like having 'bibles' that only have a few chapters of the actual Bible in it concern me.
                        Yes, there is a long history of people doing that and it's generally not a good thing. Offhand, I can think of Marcion removing everything from the Bible except a few New Testament books, the "slave Bibles" where they only included a selection of chapters that wouldn't have any risk of inciting slave riots, and Thomas Jefferson removing everything miraculous from the New Testament. The Bible needs to be allowed to speak for itself.

I haven't watched the documentary so I don't actually know the context of what's going on; I'm just going off what you said.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Yes, there is a long history of people doing that and it's generally not a good thing. Offhand, I can think of Marcion removing everything from the Bible except a few New Testament books, the "slave Bibles" where they only included a selection of chapters that wouldn't have any risk of inciting slave riots, and Thomas Jefferson removing everything miraculous from the New Testament. The Bible needs to be allowed to speak for itself.

I haven't watched the documentary so I don't actually know the context of what's going on; I'm just going off what you said.
                          Well, it was kind of a passing reference in the documentary. I think it was described as a small book just labelled "Jesus" on the front, with like Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John in it. I may be wrong on the exact makeup, but I remember it was only like 4-6 books of the Bible. I just heard and thought, "Whoa, whoa....WHAT?!" I could be wrong, but if the producers of the documentary were more into Biblical doctrine, they'd have explained a lot of that better. But then again, they're trying to make a sensational documentary....so highlighting/exaggerating small portions of their doctrine and then focusing on other stuff probably gets a stronger reaction.
                          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

I have seen little pocket New Testament books that are sometimes handed out by evangelists.

Comment

I have seen little pocket New Testament books that are sometimes handed out by evangelists.
                              Heck, every US soldier who ever went to war (back in the day) received a Soldier's New Testament & Psalms, often with a forward written by a President (Woodrow Wilson) or a General (Pershing).

(technically, they weren't "issued", they were "made available")

Comment

So I watched episode 1 last night, and Mrs CP lost interest in it pretty quickly. I watched the rest of it, and.... it's a bit weird, but so far, nothing really "out there".

The Bible they are referring to was "the Jesus Book" which, if I recall, was only the Gospels and the Book of Acts. I can understand why they would include Acts, since it's often considered Volume II of a 2 Volume set - "written by the same guy to the same guy about the same guy".

Comment