Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Fellowship (The Family)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I guess Mrs CP and I will give this a look.

Our experience with previous Netflix series is that they tend to start out "decent", then get progressively worse. We were really blown away when "designated survivor" suddenly devolved into a "F-word" context in the (3rd? 4th?) season, and we could no longer watch it.
    well Designated survivor was a network show that started out decent, but the last season was a political hackjob. The producer decided to get all preachy about various political views. The first two seasons pretty much stayed away from polarized views (the President was an Independent) - and was more about spies and conspiracies - like who was behind the bombing and all that. I don't think I will watch season 4 IF it comes out.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    There was another series we were watching -- a detective show -- where the first couple seasons were good, then it turned really dark, and everybody seemed to be having affairs with everybody else...

I think the same thing happened in... what's that show where the Sheriff says "I AM 911"...... it got really dark in subsequent episodes.
    Longmire.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Longmire.
    Yeah, just remembered it in the other thread where BtC and I are discussing Indians.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    well Designated survivor was a network show that started out decent, but the last season was a political hackjob. The producer decided to get all preachy about various political views. The first two seasons pretty much stayed away from polarized views (the President was an Independent) - and was more about spies and conspiracies - like who was behind the bombing and all that. I don't think I will watch season 4 IF it comes out.
    I think we only watched episode 1 and 2 of the third season, thinking that maybe episode 1 was a fluke, where characters were tossing around the F-bomb where they never did in the first two seasons. Episode 2 was just as bad, so we didn't even finish watching it. And, yeah, the plot kinda went all crazy.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm nearing the end of this documentary. A lot of the information they're providing about the group doesn't really seem that bad. I'm not, in principal, opposed to the concept of a losely affiliated group of Christians trying to grow a network of influence and make the world better.

However, things like having 'bibles' that only have a few chapters of the actual Bible in it concern me. I have some serious doctrinal concerns about the way they're casting some of the group's beliefs (particularly their concept of being 'chosen' by God and that status' relationship to the ability to sin), but I can't tell how biased Netflix is on that issue. It's also concerning that the founder and prominent leaders of the group was so openly admiring of the Nazis and other horrific groups. They seem careful to say they're admiring the groups' strength, commitment, or brotherhood. But I question the judgement of anyone who is so openly admirable of such a group.

Additionally, they seem to want to do God's work quietly, but a lot of it looks like they make huge deal about being 'invisible'....which is different than my normal conception of going about work 'quietly'.

Also, I'm really surprised about their being basically the unseen force behind the National Prayer Breakfast. I had no idea.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post

However, things like having 'bibles' that only have a few chapters of the actual Bible in it concern me.
    Yes, there is a long history of people doing that and it's generally not a good thing. Offhand, I can think of Marcion removing everything from the Bible except a few New Testament books, the "slave Bibles" where they only included a selection of chapters that wouldn't have any risk of inciting slave riots, and Thomas Jefferson removing everything miraculous from the New Testament. The Bible needs to be allowed to speak for itself.

I haven't watched the documentary so I don't actually know the context of what's going on; I'm just going off what you said.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Yes, there is a long history of people doing that and it's generally not a good thing. Offhand, I can think of Marcion removing everything from the Bible except a few New Testament books, the "slave Bibles" where they only included a selection of chapters that wouldn't have any risk of inciting slave riots, and Thomas Jefferson removing everything miraculous from the New Testament. The Bible needs to be allowed to speak for itself.

I haven't watched the documentary so I don't actually know the context of what's going on; I'm just going off what you said.
    Well, it was kind of a passing reference in the documentary. I think it was described as a small book just labelled "Jesus" on the front, with like Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John in it. I may be wrong on the exact makeup, but I remember it was only like 4-6 books of the Bible. I just heard and thought, "Whoa, whoa....WHAT?!" I could be wrong, but if the producers of the documentary were more into Biblical doctrine, they'd have explained a lot of that better. But then again, they're trying to make a sensational documentary....so highlighting/exaggerating small portions of their doctrine and then focusing on other stuff probably gets a stronger reaction.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have seen little pocket New Testament books that are sometimes handed out by evangelists.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have seen little pocket New Testament books that are sometimes handed out by evangelists.
    Heck, every US soldier who ever went to war (back in the day) received a Soldier's New Testament & Psalms, often with a forward written by a President (Woodrow Wilson) or a General (Pershing).

(technically, they weren't "issued", they were "made available")

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So I watched episode 1 last night, and Mrs CP lost interest in it pretty quickly. I watched the rest of it, and.... it's a bit weird, but so far, nothing really "out there".

The Bible they are referring to was "the Jesus Book" which, if I recall, was only the Gospels and the Book of Acts. I can understand why they would include Acts, since it's often considered Volume II of a 2 Volume set - "written by the same guy to the same guy about the same guy".