Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

Legalize pot, ban guns!

You can’t walk through the streets of Manhattan these days without smelling weed.

Even as evidence mounts of the health problems associated with marijuana, New York has insisted on joining other greedy states scrambling to legalize this deceptively dangerous drug.

It makes no sense at a time when American youth is suffering from an unprecedented mental health crisis.

And, in all honesty, we cannot rule out a connection between increasing marijuana use, mental illness and the recent spate of mass shootings by disturbed young males.

We don’t yet know much about the mental state or drug use of the El Paso or Dayton killers. But a former girlfriend of Dayton killer Connor Betts, 24, has indicated he was mentally ill, and two of his friends interviewed by reporters this week mentioned his previous drug use.

Just last year, the Parents Opposed to Pot lobby group tried to sound the alarm on the link between marijuana and mass shootings, compiling a list of mass killers it claims were heavy users of marijuana from a young age, from Aurora, Colo., shooter James Holmes and Tucson, Ariz., shooter Jared Loughner to Chattanooga, Tenn., shooter Mohammad Abdulazeez.

Until we understand those links, it is nuts to enact lax laws that *encourage more young people to use a drug proven to trigger mental illness.

President Trump was right to highlight mental illness in his remarks Wednesday on the El Paso and Dayton shootings, not that his unscrupulous critics will listen, so determined are they to brand him a white supremacist.

We know from a 2018 FBI report that 40% of “active shooters” in the US between 2008 and 2013 had been diagnosed with a mental illness before the attack and 70% had “mental health stressors” or “mental health concerning behaviors.”

So for anyone actually interested in preventing future such massacres, the so-called “red flag” legislation Trump is advocating to deny people with mental illness access to firearms is the most logical measure and the one most likely to be embraced by both sides of politics.
    see also
    Dayton shooter's ex says he heard voices, talked about 'dark, evil things'

But it also should apply to marijuana use, seeing as the two go hand in hand.

You can’t address the youth mental health crisis without considering the effect of rising teen marijuana use.

Among American teenagers, the drug’s “daily use has become as, or more, popular than daily cigarette smoking” according to the National Institute of Health’s 2017 Monitoring the Future study.

We’ve successfully demonized cigarettes while new laws send kids the message that marijuana is harmless.

Yet we’ve known for more than a decade of the link between marijuana and psychosis, depression and schizophrenia.

In 2007 the prestigious medical journal Lancet recanted its previous benign view of marijuana, citing studies showing “an increase in risk of psychosis of about 40 percent.”

A seminal long-term study of 50,465 Swedish army conscripts found those who had tried marijuana by age 18 had 2.4 times the risk of being diagnosed with schizophrenia in the following 15 years than those who had never used the drug. Heavy users were 6.7 times more likely to be admitted to a hospital for schizophrenia.

Another study, of 1,037 people in New Zealand, found those who used cannabis at ages 15 and 18 had higher rates of psychotic symptoms at age 26 than non-users.

A 2011 study in the British Medical Journal of 2,000 teenagers found those who smoked marijuana were twice as likely to develop psychosis as those who didn’t.

Another BMJ study estimated that “13 percent of cases of schizophrenia could be averted if all cannabis use were prevented.”

That’s more than 400,000 Americans who could be saved from a fate worse than death.

Young people and those with a genetic predisposition are most at risk, particularly during adolescence, when the brain is exquisitely vulnerable.

The evidence of harm is overwhelming, and it defies logic to think that legalizing marijuana won’t increase the harm.

And yet marijuana activists pretend there is no problem and baby-boomer lawmakers, perhaps recalling their own youthful toking, *ignore the science.

To make matters worse, the marijuana sold at legal dispensaries today is five times more potent than the pot of the 1970s and ’80s, according to a thoroughly researched new book by former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson: “Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Violence and Mental Health.”

Berenson reports that the first four states to legalize marijuana, Alaska, Colorado, Oregon and Washington, have seen “sharp increases” in violent crime since 2014.

If we care about mental illness, which has been spiking up at an alarming rate in recent years among young people, especially teenage boys, we should care about the convincing evidence of marijuana-induced psychosis.

We didn’t have to wait for three mass shootings in two weeks to know that young males are in *crisis.

Youth suicide is at an all-time high and rates of serious mental illness in this country are on the rise, especially among people aged 18 to 25, the cohort most likely to use marijuana.

Young people born in 1999, the birth year of the El Paso shooter, were 50% more likely than those born in 1985 to report feeling “serious psychological distress” in the previous month, according to an alarming study published this year in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology.

With all we know, it’s time to put the brakes on marijuana legalization before it’s too late.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

This seems like useless clickbait to me. For instance, the article references an NIH study about how marijuana use is more popular for daily use among teenagers than cigarette use....without really explaining how far cigarette use has fallen among teenagers. https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...l-youth-trends

Additionally, most of the data she's highlighted show correlation, not causation. And...we haven't talked about whether or not these legalization laws in select states make marijuana legal for teenagers (which I don't believe any do). So she's saying that marijuana use is bad for developing minds and claiming that legalizing it for adults is a problem. While ignoring that cigarettes are illegal for kids and legal for adults, and we've pretty effectively demonized cigarette use and caused the rate of teenage tobacco use to plummet.

All I'm getting form this is that we need to caution kids to not smoke weed.
    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
      This seems like useless clickbait to me. For instance, the article references an NIH study about how marijuana use is more popular for daily use among teenagers than cigarette use....without really explaining how far cigarette use has fallen among teenagers. https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...l-youth-trends

Additionally, most of the data she's highlighted show correlation, not causation. And...we haven't talked about whether or not these legalization laws in select states make marijuana legal for teenagers (which I don't believe any do). So she's saying that marijuana use is bad for developing minds and claiming that legalizing it for adults is a problem. While ignoring that cigarettes are illegal for kids and legal for adults, and we've pretty effectively demonized cigarette use and caused the rate of teenage tobacco use to plummet.

All I'm getting form this is that we need to caution kids to not smoke weed.
      For many vaping has all but replaced cigarette use.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This gives me reefer madness vibes. Honestly, I grow more and more annoyed of how news is done every day. Vague titles and commentary dominate where a facts only approach would do far better.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          For many vaping has all but replaced cigarette use.
          True. I've haven't really read up on that because of how new it is. I understand that there are health concerns with vaping, though it's probably safer than actually smoking. It's really a whole different thing, though if they're using nicotine they have that in common.
          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
            This gives me reefer madness vibes. Honestly, I grow more and more annoyed of how news is done every day. Vague titles and commentary dominate where a facts only approach would do far better.
            That's my concern as well. I've never even tried marijuana, but I've always thought it stupid the federal government made it illegal without any scientific basis for doing so. I've seen some interesting studies about using cannabis as an alternative to opioids for pain management (among many other medical uses).

And...well, I've never met a person high on marijuana that was causing a problem. Cocaine, meth, alcohol and opioids now...that's a different story. As a cop, I've dealt with a lot of high/drunk people. And my community in particular is one of the worst in the state suffering from the opioid crisis. Lots of people are dying and I've personally had to look many people in the eye and explain how their son/daughter/dad/mom/brother/sister have died from an opioid overdose. I'll support dang near anything that can help manage this crisis.

Comment

That's my concern as well. I've never even tried marijuana, but I've always thought it stupid the federal government made it illegal without any scientific basis for doing so. I've seen some interesting studies about using cannabis as an alternative to opioids for pain management (among many other medical uses).

And...well, I've never met a person high on marijuana that was causing a problem. Cocaine, meth, alcohol and opioids now...that's a different story. As a cop, I've dealt with a lot of high/drunk people. And my community in particular is one of the worst in the state suffering from the opioid crisis. Lots of people are dying and I've personally had to look many people in the eye and explain how their son/daughter/dad/mom/brother/sister have died from an opioid overdose. I'll support dang near anything that can help manage this crisis.
              I am just annoyed with the conspiratorial attitudes. What good does all the finger pointing and blaming video games and cannabis do for anyone? It doesnt help us understand each other or create a more just society. Paranoia breeds loathing and isolation.
              sigpic

Comment

I am just annoyed with the conspiratorial attitudes. What good does all the finger pointing and blaming video games and cannabis do for anyone? It doesnt help us understand each other or create a more just society. Paranoia breeds loathing and isolation.
                In some cases I don't think it is finger pointing but rather trying to figure out what in the heck is triggering (no pun intended) this.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The problem is the obvious. Adolescence and mass shootings is a much more recent event than adolescence and marijuana use. IMO, this just takes the focus away from the more obvious culprit that is also a recent event: adolescence and SSRIs.

Comment

In some cases I don't think it is finger pointing but rather trying to figure out what in the heck is triggering (no pun intended) this.
                    What good does blaming gaming do for that? What good can possibly come from people thinking the other is a moron or worse? I dont get it.
                    sigpic

Comment

What good does blaming gaming do for that? What good can possibly come from people thinking the other is a moron or worse? I dont get it.
                      As I said, "In some cases I don't think it is finger pointing."

Comment

Can you please give an example?
                        sigpic

Comment

The fact is, I would be much more believing that liberals care about the crisis if it was not ONLY a focus on "gun control". If they were to announce that they were ALSO looking for why people do this, I'd be more impressed.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah. Several years back, I studied a lot of the research on violent media in general (video games, tv, movies, etc) and the impact on violence. Basically, I could only identify violent media as a contributing factor to violent acts because of the frequent exposure in developing minds and a more significant contributing factor in those with mental illness (particularly so when the mentally ill person is still young). The research on that was pretty solid.

I personally think that the mass shooting phenomenon is a result of many factors. Particularly: our culture's glorification of violence, the frequent and sometimes subliminal exposure to acts of violence without significant negative consequence via media on developing and/or mentally ill minds, our ease of access to guns, our entirely inadequate mental health system, our aversion to creating better physical security apparatus at target locations, a rise in social sandboxing because of the internet, and a desire among marginalized young men to commit masked suicide by killing others (thus achieving infamy)....a lot of which is fueled by our morally bankrupt main stream media organizations.

Comment

Yeah. Several years back, I studied a lot of the research on violent media in general (video games, tv, movies, etc) and the impact on violence. Basically, I could only identify violent media as a contributing factor to violent acts because of the frequent exposure in developing minds and a more significant contributing factor in those with mental illness (particularly so when the mentally ill person is still young). The research on that was pretty solid.

I personally think that the mass shooting phenomenon is a result of many factors. Particularly: our culture's glorification of violence, the frequent and sometimes subliminal exposure to acts of violence without significant negative consequence via media on developing and/or mentally ill minds, our ease of access to guns, our entirely inadequate mental health system, our aversion to creating better physical security apparatus at target locations, a rise in social sandboxing because of the internet, and a desire among marginalized young men to commit masked suicide by killing others (thus achieving infamy)....a lot of which is fueled by our morally bankrupt main stream media organizations.
                              Along with all of that - the breakdown of discipline in the schools. There was a time when the teachers were to be respected, and - as was the policy in my home as a kid - if I got a "swat" at school, I got TWO at home. But, it's a whole different world we live in now.

Comment