Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    It's a pretty well known fact. I've seen articles and such about it, pretty sure I've seen it in formal training classes at work. If I remember right, marijuana in the 70s (a lot of it at least) had THC content of around 5-7%, and a lot of strains nowadays are running around 20-25% THC levels.
    High THC content pot was around even back in the 20th century what with such strains as "Maui Wowee," "Kona Gold," "Thai Sticks" and "Skunk Weed" (the latter seems to be the "grandfather" of many of the current powerful strains). The difference now is that they're much more prevalent than back then.

Among my friends who still smoke, I've noticed that they smoke a lot less to get the desired results -- taking a half dozen "hits" (or even less) as opposed to smoking a joint or two. If nothing else this has to be better for their lungs.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    you gotsa be kidding --- not to my faborite brudder!
    Aw shucks

So what is it that you want this time?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    True. I've haven't really read up on that because of how new it is. I understand that there are health concerns with vaping, though it's probably safer than actually smoking. It's really a whole different thing, though if they're using nicotine they have that in common.
    It can be - the amount of nicotine can be controlled - it's also frequently used to wean off of tobacco. I have no idea how frequently it succeeds or people just switch.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Aw shucks
    You didn't honestly think I was kicking you out, did you?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    The whole discussion is pretty dumb anyway Even if it is weed and ban it, that doesn't mean kids will stop smoking it anymore than gun control will keep guns out of the hands of the wrong people. However, if SSRIs are a factor, that can be controlled.
    Well, that's how we totally got rid of all the other problems! We simply made the drugs illegal, and they're all gone now!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

6. Amen seanD amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You didn't honestly think I was kicking you out, did you?
    Not really. But I wanted to be sure.

Now about mossy hatesifying me...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    ...If nothing else this has to be better for their lungs.
    ...If nothing else this has to be less bad for their lungs.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Perhaps, but our society has changed a lot since then. It's the combination of factors that I think is such a problem.

Also, the last few times I've looked at the numbers, violent crime in general has declined significantly since the 70s (I believe). The mass shootings, however, are an interesting exception to that. Or course 24-hour news media cycle, though, would lead one to believe that violent crime is getting worse...and that police are killing civilians as at much higher rate, for that matter.

Added for clarity: I'm very pro-2nd Amendment and a bit of a gun-nut myself. I'm paranoid about gun control, I just have to acknowledge that in countries with less guns, they also see less gun violence.

I'm strongly pro- gun control - not abolition. but yeah, of course if you have fewer guns, you have less gun violence. But I also think that's an unworkable solution in the US - and as much as I hate to admit it, maybe not as necessary.

We see less gun violence when people have a healthier respect for guns - and are taught not to point even toys at people. There's some evidence to back this up - but it also stands to reason. If a kid gets used to the idea of pointing 'toy' or even virtual guns at people there's not going to be as much of an inhibition for the real thing.

I think we need to move as a culture to where we no longer accept the casual glorification of slaughtering human beings, be it in movies, video games or political discussion - until we think life is sacred, we won't quit defending the factors we know contribute.

And we are going to have to address the school system - I think the warehouse system we use is one of the major contributing factors. It guarantees not only that bullying will occur but that it will go on indiscriminately. Why wouldn't it - it's effectively the same as putting a weak chick in the coop - and then wondering why it gets torn up.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    Attachment 38959

I believe that video games can indeed be art. As a fan of series like Fire Emblem Resident Evil Final Fantasy and more I believe that stories can be used to help teach people things.
    Sure - and table top D&D was great for kids with poor social skills back in the day because it gave them something to socialize with.

But running a CE character isn't really uplifting - quite the opposite. We all balked when D&D was accused of causing problems - but in all honesty, yeah, for some people, it did.

You can use a tool for good or ill. And some people do not need to play with power tools - or sharp things. Blindly defending the tool without consideration of its limitations is foolishness. Was when we did it for D&D (seriously, running evil characters isn't doing anything good - there's a reason Paul tells us to concentrate on the good and noble instead) - it is now when people reflexively defend video games.

I still think table top D&D is a great thing for kids who have trouble with socializing - might even be a good way to introduce today's cyber-junkies to human beings - but it also has potential for harm. If I were counseling a parent about their kid's game play, I'd want to know what characters they played. I'm not nearly as concerned with the kid that always plays the LG paladin as the one that always plays the LE assassin.
    Last edited by Teallaura; 08-10-2019 at 04:17 PM.

My Personal Blog

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    High THC content pot was around even back in the 20th century what with such strains as "Maui Wowee," "Kona Gold," "Thai Sticks" and "Skunk Weed" (the latter seems to be the "grandfather" of many of the current powerful strains). The difference now is that they're much more prevalent than back then.

Among my friends who still smoke, I've noticed that they smoke a lot less to get the desired results -- taking a half dozen "hits" (or even less) as opposed to smoking a joint or two. If nothing else this has to be better for their lungs.
    Brain cells, not so much...

My Personal Blog