Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I'm strongly pro- gun control - not abolition. but yeah, of course if you have fewer guns, you have less gun violence. But I also think that's an unworkable solution in the US - and as much as I hate to admit it, maybe not as necessary.

We see less gun violence when people have a healthier respect for guns - and are taught not to point even toys at people. There's some evidence to back this up - but it also stands to reason. If a kid gets used to the idea of pointing 'toy' or even virtual guns at people there's not going to be as much of an inhibition for the real thing.

I think we need to move as a culture to where we no longer accept the casual glorification of slaughtering human beings, be it in movies, video games or political discussion - until we think life is sacred, we won't quit defending the factors we know contribute.

And we are going to have to address the school system - I think the warehouse system we use is one of the major contributing factors. It guarantees not only that bullying will occur but that it will go on indiscriminately. Why wouldn't it - it's effectively the same as putting a weak chick in the coop - and then wondering why it gets torn up.
    Yup. My main problem with most forms of gun control in the U.S. isn't philosophical or political, it's practical. We've got so many guns here that I think most forms of gun control won't work. If law abiding citizens have to give up their rights to have guns, we'd better be sure the law is gonna work.

I'm not so sure that we have to stop glorifying violence entirely -- but if we don't, we need to figure out a way to limit access to such content for children and the mentally ill. I doubt it has very much affect on mentally stable adults.

And yes, I'd like to see some major changes to our education systems.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

2. Amen Teallaura, TheWall amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The sad thing is that the solution to the last few shootings was so simple. All the recent shooters, including the Florida shooter, showed a whole slew of OBVIOUS signs beforehand, yet everyone ignored it. So, instead of the simple solution, the solution both sides propose is to blame each other and initiate more bureaucracy (gun control, drug prohibition, censor media violent content, etc). Yeah, that'll help.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I do have one idea for how we could potentially help with the violence issue. Namely show folks in greater detail how to solve problems nonviolently and that nonviolence can work. When I was taking martial arts I was taught that self defense and sport are admirable, but abuse is not. Differentiate between forms of violence because they are not the same. You guys brought up D&D. In my time learning about the game I have heard that trying to resolve issues peacefully can make for a rewarding experience. Games like undertake and later metal gear games allow you to spare your opponents.

I was honestly a bully in my youth. Part of what made me realize how wrong that was was the golden rule.

I also want to say that love is a powerful thing that changes lives every day. Sometimes it is easy to forget that those we disagree with have loved ones too and that they want to make them safe and happy.

I want to live a life where people can say that I was loving

5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    I do have one idea for how we could potentially help with the violence issue. Namely show folks in greater detail how to solve problems nonviolently and that nonviolence can work....
    When you take the concealed handgun class in Texas, a LARGE PART of the course is how to de-escalate situations, and that the use of the firearm should be the very last resort. In fact, they drill down pretty hard on the fact that EVEN THOUGH you may be found criminally not guilty, you could still lose your shirt and your houset and your car in a CIVIL suit.

So, yes, how to deal with conflict should be something taught in our public schools. But, heck, they can't even teach how to make change for a TEN at McDonald's.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    When you take the concealed handgun class in Texas, a LARGE PART of the course is how to de-escalate situations, and that the use of the firearm should be the very last resort. In fact, they drill down pretty hard on the fact that EVEN THOUGH you may be found criminally not guilty, you could still lose your shirt and your houset and your car in a CIVIL suit.

So, yes, how to deal with conflict should be something taught in our public schools. But, heck, they can't even teach how to make change for a TEN at McDonald's.
    Wanna watch a kid stand and stare like a dummy? Give them a $20 plus whatever the total over ten was - they will stare at it for hours as the tiny wheels come off the rails..

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

8. Amen Cow Poke, NorrinRadd, Littlejoe amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Wanna watch a kid stand and stare like a dummy? Give them a $20 plus whatever the total over ten was - they will stare at it for hours as the tiny wheels come off the rails..

I avoid that like the plague! The cash register often tells them what change to return, so if you try to.... yeah. I try my best not to confuse them.

Cashier - "that's -$5.47
    Me - "here's $10.47"
    Cashier - um.....

They look like you're trying to scam them.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

10. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Conflict resolution is something I feel should absolutely be taught.
    I am reading MLKand look at what he accomplished

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    Conflict resolution is something I feel should absolutely be taught.
    I am reading MLKand look at what he accomplished
    There are two main mistakes people make regarding conflict resolution.

A) they avoid conflict at all costs, which only delays the crisis and often magnifies it greatly
    2) they see it as a battle they must win, not a problem they can help solve.

I have been in crisis management and problem resolution for many years, and one of my favorite questions to ask the parties is "what is the object of this exercise?"

Meaning - if the object is to battle it out to see who wins, we need to rethink the exercise.

13. Amen KingsGambit, Teallaura, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    By the way, Jesus had something to say about conflict resolution in Matthew 18:15-17.

15. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    ...If nothing else this has to be less bad for their lungs.
    00000000000000ars3.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

17. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.