Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This article seems to dispute the common belief that marijuana is only relaxing, not aggression-fostering.

More generally, it's my recollection that various substances can have paradoxical effects depending on dosage and on individual response. E.g., most people find opioids sedating, but in some people they induce near-manic highs.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    This article seems to dispute the common belief that marijuana is only relaxing, not aggression-fostering.

More generally, it's my recollection that various substances can have paradoxical effects depending on dosage and on individual response. E.g., most people find opioids sedating, but in some people they induce near-manic highs.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post

That kind of flies in the face of hundreds of studies going back at least as far the British Indian Hemp Drugs Commission Report from the 1890s.

Still, it is true that not everyone reacts to any substance the same way.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    That kind of flies in the face of hundreds of studies going back at least as far the British Indian Hemp Drugs Commission Report from the 1890s.

Still, it is true that not everyone reacts to any substance the same way.
    Which aspect of his post are you referring to with that study?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    And seriously, would you want a doctor who used marijuana frequently? Forget the typical stoner - even frequent use can have an effect. Want a brain surgeon that gets stoned every weekend?
    If they can do their job and meet acceptable standards,

There are very few brain surgeons out there. It seems like an oddly specific thing to extrapolate broad policy from.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Which aspect of his post are you referring to with that study?
    That it leads to violence. IIRC, the British Indian Hemp Drugs Commission Report re-examined nearly a hundred cases where cannabis had been linked to violence and found that there was no link at all.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    That it leads to violence. IIRC, they re-examined nearly a hundred cases where cannabis had been linked to violence and found that there was no link at all.
    IIRC, the vast majority of those cases related to you in your younger days.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

9. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This conversation reminds me of one estranged family member of mine who claimed to oppose marijuana legalization because "we don't need people driving around stoned". This person is a functioning alcoholic.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post

And seriously, would you want a doctor who used marijuana frequently? Forget the typical stoner - even frequent use can have an effect. Want a brain surgeon that gets stoned every weekend?
    I really wouldn't care if a doctor giving me a check up smoked pot on occasion but wouldn't want any sort of surgeon who frequently used any psychoactive drug operating on me. Heck, I would be leery of one who drank a dozen cups of coffee a day.

So what is your point? Did you think I was claiming that pot is harmless?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This conversation reminds me of one estranged family member of mine who claimed to oppose marijuana legalization because "we don't need people driving around stoned". This person is a functioning alcoholic.
    And IIRC there are a bunch of studies that have found that stoned drivers are less dangerous than drunk drivers -- not that I'd want either on the road.

13. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.