Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 95

Thread: The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

  1. #81
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,938
    Amen (Given)
    1235
    Amen (Received)
    22027
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    IIRC, the vast majority of those cases related to you in your younger days.
    Only mossy was around in the 1890s.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  2. #82
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,779
    Amen (Given)
    14037
    Amen (Received)
    28895
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    And IIRC there are a bunch of studies that have found that stoned drivers are less dangerous than drunk drivers -- not that I'd want either on the road.
    A) It's hard to know, because the vast majority of persons driving while under the influence are not caught
    2) I think part of that may be that the stoned person has enough wherewithal to recognize a police car, and "straighten up" a tad, where the drunk is pretty much oblivious.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

  3. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  4. #83
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,938
    Amen (Given)
    1235
    Amen (Received)
    22027
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    A) It's hard to know, because the vast majority of persons driving while under the influence are not caught
    2) I think part of that may be that the stoned person has enough wherewithal to recognize a police car, and "straighten up" a tad, where the drunk is pretty much oblivious.
    Many of the studies tested people after they were given some pot by the researchers. IIRC, one of the big differences was that drunk drivers don't realize just how impaired they were and thought they were doing just fine, whereas the stoned drivers were actually more cautious because they understood they were impaired.

    And this leads to the old joke that the easiest way to spot a stoned driver was look for the car going 40 on a road with a 55 mph speed limit.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  5. #84
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,779
    Amen (Given)
    14037
    Amen (Received)
    28895
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Many of the studies tested people after they were given some pot by the researchers.
    OK, that's different.

    IIRC, one of the big differences was that drunk drivers don't realize just how impaired they were and thought they were doing just fine, whereas the stoned drivers were actually more cautious because they understood they were impaired.
    Makes total sense. And also touches on the notion that pot smokers are still aware of their surroundings, and recognize the police car.

    And this leads to the old joke that the easiest way to spot a stoned driver was look for the car going 40 on a road with a 55 mph speed limit.
    Either a stoner or a senior adult, or maybe a stoned senior adult.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

  6. Amen rogue06 amen'd this post.
  7. #85
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    A) It's hard to know, because the vast majority of persons driving while under the influence are not caught
    2) I think part of that may be that the stoned person has enough wherewithal to recognize a police car, and "straighten up" a tad, where the drunk is pretty much oblivious.
    *emphasis mine

    It doesn't last. I've had people come in for interview I thought were okay (probably not 'fine') and about a third of the way through it is like talking to a kinda sleepy three year old.

    If YOU don't know if you've had a symptom, how the heck am I supposed to know?!?!?!

    I have completed some of those interviews - the ones where getting them back in was iffy - but others I've just rescheduled. There's no point - they can't help you and there's no way to help them.

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  8. #86
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    ...

    Either a stoner or a senior adult, or maybe a stoned senior adult.

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  9. #87
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,938
    Amen (Given)
    1235
    Amen (Received)
    22027
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Does it help that I had the same thought when I posted what he was responding to?

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  10. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  11. #88
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    If they can do their job and meet acceptable standards,

    There are very few brain surgeons out there. It seems like an oddly specific thing to extrapolate broad policy from.
    Okay, but I don't think explaining that they are incompetent to assist in STD interview is gonna make nearly as much sense to other people.

    The point is, the more frequent their usage, the less competent they become. I've interviewed patients who believably stated they hadn't used in the last 48 hrs (it matters in some treatments) yet did use regularly - the majority of those were difficult interviews and I'm not counting the folks who just didn't want to be interviewed. Their long term memories are full of holes and, oh dear Lord, you don't want to ask them about time frames! It's not so evident just talking, but when we get into the details - I'd truly rather interview someone who was born mentally impaired. At least they don't TRY to make obvious nonsense make sense - try and fail, that is, because the marijuana users think they remember when they don't.

    Light usage and we don't see that - unless they come in stoned (which happens way too often) - I grant.

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  12. #89
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I really wouldn't care if a doctor giving me a check up smoked pot on occasion but wouldn't want any sort of surgeon who frequently used any psychoactive drug operating on me. Heck, I would be leery of one who drank a dozen cups of coffee a day.

    So what is your point? Did you think I was claiming that pot is harmless?
    That does seem to be the direction of the thread although not necessarily you specifically.

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  13. #90
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Does it help that I had the same thought when I posted what he was responding to?
    You thought about MY driving?

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •