Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    It can be - the amount of nicotine can be controlled - it's also frequently used to wean off of tobacco. I have no idea how frequently it succeeds or people just switch.
    Last I heard, the evidence is that it helps adults quit cigarettes, but leads teens to *start* smoking. But it's pretty preliminary.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Last I heard, the evidence is that it helps adults quit cigarettes, but leads teens to *start* smoking. But it's pretty preliminary.
    'Bout what I expected.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    That's my concern as well. I've never even tried marijuana, but I've always thought it stupid the federal government made it illegal without any scientific basis for doing so. I've seen some interesting studies about using cannabis as an alternative to opioids for pain management (among many other medical uses).

And...well, I've never met a person high on marijuana that was causing a problem. Cocaine, meth, alcohol and opioids now...that's a different story. As a cop, I've dealt with a lot of high/drunk people. And my community in particular is one of the worst in the state suffering from the opioid crisis. Lots of people are dying and I've personally had to look many people in the eye and explain how their son/daughter/dad/mom/brother/sister have died from an opioid overdose. I'll support dang near anything that can help manage this crisis.
    I have smoked it, and it doesn't make you want to go out and shoot up a school. In fact, you mostly just want to sit around watching TV and eating snacks. It makes you all relaxed and sleepy mostly. And a bit dizzy, so you wouldn't have the coordination to pull off a shooting.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I have smoked it, and it doesn't make you want to go out and shoot up a school. In fact, you mostly just want to sit around watching TV and eating snacks. It makes you all relaxed and sleepy mostly. And a bit dizzy, so you wouldn't have the coordination to pull off a shooting.
    Yup. Potheads are easy to deal with. Meth-heads and crackheads, not so much.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

6. Amen Teallaura, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    When it was first outlawed it was due to sensationalist stories claiming that it caused people to go out on killing sprees. Well that and a whole lot of racism (it was associated with Mexican migrant workers and blacks). The fact is that, as you said, it tends to make you sit around and just watch TV or the like. I believe they called it amotivational syndrome

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    Yup. Potheads are easy to deal with. Meth-heads and crackheads, not so much.
    Back in the early 70s when Nixon established the Shafer Commission (a.k.a., National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse) a number of police officials admitted that they focused their efforts on making pot busts because it was far safer than going after people dealing in drugs like heroin and speed.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Back in the early 70s when Nixon established the Shafer Commission (a.k.a., National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse) a number of police officials admitted that they focused their efforts on making pot busts because it was far safer than going after people dealing in drugs like heroin and speed.
    From what I understand, heroin also makes you just sit around and sleep. Never tried heroin, but I have had opioids in the hospital. Morphine for a kidney stone and dilaudid after major surgery. You just feel like you are all relaxed and floating. Then you fall asleep.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From what I understand, heroin also makes you just sit around and sleep. Never tried heroin, but I have had opioids in the hospital. Morphine for a kidney stone and dilaudid after major surgery. You just feel like you are all relaxed and floating. Then you fall asleep.
    In this case it was the dealers that they were talking about although many of them are junkies as well. Plus when you are a junkie you can do terrible things in order to get your fix.

11. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In this case it was the dealers that they were talking about although many of them are junkies as well. Plus when you are a junkie you can do terrible things in order to get your fix.
    That's true. A lot of burglars are trying to steal stuff to pawn to get a fix.

13. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Handling them, sure you want the stoners or others too far gone to give you any trouble. But the idea that marijuana is okay because the users are easier to handle really doesn't get at why we have laws regarding intoxicants in the first place. Partially to maintain public order, that's true - but it's also to minimize the social disruption of addiction. Perfect, it's not - no law ever will be. But we're already seeing problems directly related to marijuana usage in states that have legalized it. And it's probably not unrelated (though not causally related) to the opioid crisis. Yeah, gateway drugs really are a thing.

And seriously, would you want a doctor who used marijuana frequently? Forget the typical stoner - even frequent use can have an effect. Want a brain surgeon that gets stoned every weekend?