Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You didn't honestly think I was kicking you out, did you?
    Not really. But I wanted to be sure.

Now about mossy hatesifying me...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      ...If nothing else this has to be better for their lungs.
      ...If nothing else this has to be less bad for their lungs.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
        Perhaps, but our society has changed a lot since then. It's the combination of factors that I think is such a problem.

Also, the last few times I've looked at the numbers, violent crime in general has declined significantly since the 70s (I believe). The mass shootings, however, are an interesting exception to that. Or course 24-hour news media cycle, though, would lead one to believe that violent crime is getting worse...and that police are killing civilians as at much higher rate, for that matter.

Added for clarity: I'm very pro-2nd Amendment and a bit of a gun-nut myself. I'm paranoid about gun control, I just have to acknowledge that in countries with less guns, they also see less gun violence.

I'm strongly pro- gun control - not abolition. but yeah, of course if you have fewer guns, you have less gun violence. But I also think that's an unworkable solution in the US - and as much as I hate to admit it, maybe not as necessary.

We see less gun violence when people have a healthier respect for guns - and are taught not to point even toys at people. There's some evidence to back this up - but it also stands to reason. If a kid gets used to the idea of pointing 'toy' or even virtual guns at people there's not going to be as much of an inhibition for the real thing.

I think we need to move as a culture to where we no longer accept the casual glorification of slaughtering human beings, be it in movies, video games or political discussion - until we think life is sacred, we won't quit defending the factors we know contribute.

And we are going to have to address the school system - I think the warehouse system we use is one of the major contributing factors. It guarantees not only that bullying will occur but that it will go on indiscriminately. Why wouldn't it - it's effectively the same as putting a weak chick in the coop - and then wondering why it gets torn up.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]38959[/ATTACH]

I believe that video games can indeed be art. As a fan of series like Fire Emblem Resident Evil Final Fantasy and more I believe that stories can be used to help teach people things.
          Sure - and table top D&D was great for kids with poor social skills back in the day because it gave them something to socialize with.

But running a CE character isn't really uplifting - quite the opposite. We all balked when D&D was accused of causing problems - but in all honesty, yeah, for some people, it did.

You can use a tool for good or ill. And some people do not need to play with power tools - or sharp things. Blindly defending the tool without consideration of its limitations is foolishness. Was when we did it for D&D (seriously, running evil characters isn't doing anything good - there's a reason Paul tells us to concentrate on the good and noble instead) - it is now when people reflexively defend video games.

I still think table top D&D is a great thing for kids who have trouble with socializing - might even be a good way to introduce today's cyber-junkies to human beings - but it also has potential for harm. If I were counseling a parent about their kid's game play, I'd want to know what characters they played. I'm not nearly as concerned with the kid that always plays the LG paladin as the one that always plays the LE assassin.
          Last edited by Teallaura; 08-10-2019, 06:17 PM.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            High THC content pot was around even back in the 20th century what with such strains as "Maui Wowee," "Kona Gold," "Thai Sticks" and "Skunk Weed" (the latter seems to be the "grandfather" of many of the current powerful strains). The difference now is that they're much more prevalent than back then.

Among my friends who still smoke, I've noticed that they smoke a lot less to get the desired results -- taking a half dozen "hits" (or even less) as opposed to smoking a joint or two. If nothing else this has to be better for their lungs.
            Brain cells, not so much...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              I'm strongly pro- gun control - not abolition. but yeah, of course if you have fewer guns, you have less gun violence. But I also think that's an unworkable solution in the US - and as much as I hate to admit it, maybe not as necessary.

We see less gun violence when people have a healthier respect for guns - and are taught not to point even toys at people. There's some evidence to back this up - but it also stands to reason. If a kid gets used to the idea of pointing 'toy' or even virtual guns at people there's not going to be as much of an inhibition for the real thing.

I think we need to move as a culture to where we no longer accept the casual glorification of slaughtering human beings, be it in movies, video games or political discussion - until we think life is sacred, we won't quit defending the factors we know contribute.

And we are going to have to address the school system - I think the warehouse system we use is one of the major contributing factors. It guarantees not only that bullying will occur but that it will go on indiscriminately. Why wouldn't it - it's effectively the same as putting a weak chick in the coop - and then wondering why it gets torn up.
              Yup. My main problem with most forms of gun control in the U.S. isn't philosophical or political, it's practical. We've got so many guns here that I think most forms of gun control won't work. If law abiding citizens have to give up their rights to have guns, we'd better be sure the law is gonna work.

I'm not so sure that we have to stop glorifying violence entirely -- but if we don't, we need to figure out a way to limit access to such content for children and the mentally ill. I doubt it has very much affect on mentally stable adults.

And yes, I'd like to see some major changes to our education systems.
              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

The sad thing is that the solution to the last few shootings was so simple. All the recent shooters, including the Florida shooter, showed a whole slew of OBVIOUS signs beforehand, yet everyone ignored it. So, instead of the simple solution, the solution both sides propose is to blame each other and initiate more bureaucracy (gun control, drug prohibition, censor media violent content, etc). Yeah, that'll help.

Comment

I do have one idea for how we could potentially help with the violence issue. Namely show folks in greater detail how to solve problems nonviolently and that nonviolence can work. When I was taking martial arts I was taught that self defense and sport are admirable, but abuse is not. Differentiate between forms of violence because they are not the same. You guys brought up D&D. In my time learning about the game I have heard that trying to resolve issues peacefully can make for a rewarding experience. Games like undertake and later metal gear games allow you to spare your opponents.

I was honestly a bully in my youth. Part of what made me realize how wrong that was was the golden rule.

I also want to say that love is a powerful thing that changes lives every day. Sometimes it is easy to forget that those we disagree with have loved ones too and that they want to make them safe and happy.

I want to live a life where people can say that I was loving
                  sigpic

Comment

I do have one idea for how we could potentially help with the violence issue. Namely show folks in greater detail how to solve problems nonviolently and that nonviolence can work....
                    When you take the concealed handgun class in Texas, a LARGE PART of the course is how to de-escalate situations, and that the use of the firearm should be the very last resort. In fact, they drill down pretty hard on the fact that EVEN THOUGH you may be found criminally not guilty, you could still lose your shirt and your houset and your car in a CIVIL suit.

So, yes, how to deal with conflict should be something taught in our public schools. But, heck, they can't even teach how to make change for a TEN at McDonald's.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When you take the concealed handgun class in Texas, a LARGE PART of the course is how to de-escalate situations, and that the use of the firearm should be the very last resort. In fact, they drill down pretty hard on the fact that EVEN THOUGH you may be found criminally not guilty, you could still lose your shirt and your houset and your car in a CIVIL suit.

So, yes, how to deal with conflict should be something taught in our public schools. But, heck, they can't even teach how to make change for a TEN at McDonald's.
                      Wanna watch a kid stand and stare like a dummy? Give them a $20 plus whatever the total over ten was - they will stare at it for hours as the tiny wheels come off the rails..

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Wanna watch a kid stand and stare like a dummy? Give them a $20 plus whatever the total over ten was - they will stare at it for hours as the tiny wheels come off the rails..

I avoid that like the plague! The cash register often tells them what change to return, so if you try to.... yeah. I try my best not to confuse them.

Cashier - "that's -$5.47
                        Me - "here's $10.47"
                        Cashier - um.....

They look like you're trying to scam them.

Comment

Conflict resolution is something I feel should absolutely be taught.
                          I am reading MLKand look at what he accomplished
                          sigpic

Comment

Conflict resolution is something I feel should absolutely be taught.
                            I am reading MLKand look at what he accomplished
                            There are two main mistakes people make regarding conflict resolution.

A) they avoid conflict at all costs, which only delays the crisis and often magnifies it greatly
                            2) they see it as a battle they must win, not a problem they can help solve.

I have been in crisis management and problem resolution for many years, and one of my favorite questions to ask the parties is "what is the object of this exercise?"

Meaning - if the object is to battle it out to see who wins, we need to rethink the exercise.

Comment

By the way, Jesus had something to say about conflict resolution in Matthew 18:15-17.

Comment

...If nothing else this has to be less bad for their lungs.
                                00000000000000ars3.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment