Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Which aspect of his post are you referring to with that study?
    That it leads to violence. IIRC, the British Indian Hemp Drugs Commission Report re-examined nearly a hundred cases where cannabis had been linked to violence and found that there was no link at all.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      That it leads to violence. IIRC, they re-examined nearly a hundred cases where cannabis had been linked to violence and found that there was no link at all.
      IIRC, the vast majority of those cases related to you in your younger days.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This conversation reminds me of one estranged family member of mine who claimed to oppose marijuana legalization because "we don't need people driving around stoned". This person is a functioning alcoholic.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

And seriously, would you want a doctor who used marijuana frequently? Forget the typical stoner - even frequent use can have an effect. Want a brain surgeon that gets stoned every weekend?
          I really wouldn't care if a doctor giving me a check up smoked pot on occasion but wouldn't want any sort of surgeon who frequently used any psychoactive drug operating on me. Heck, I would be leery of one who drank a dozen cups of coffee a day.

So what is your point? Did you think I was claiming that pot is harmless?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This conversation reminds me of one estranged family member of mine who claimed to oppose marijuana legalization because "we don't need people driving around stoned". This person is a functioning alcoholic.
            And IIRC there are a bunch of studies that have found that stoned drivers are less dangerous than drunk drivers -- not that I'd want either on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              IIRC, the vast majority of those cases related to you in your younger days.
              Only mossy was around in the 1890s.

Comment

And IIRC there are a bunch of studies that have found that stoned drivers are less dangerous than drunk drivers -- not that I'd want either on the road.
                A) It's hard to know, because the vast majority of persons driving while under the influence are not caught
                2) I think part of that may be that the stoned person has enough wherewithal to recognize a police car, and "straighten up" a tad, where the drunk is pretty much oblivious.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A) It's hard to know, because the vast majority of persons driving while under the influence are not caught
                  2) I think part of that may be that the stoned person has enough wherewithal to recognize a police car, and "straighten up" a tad, where the drunk is pretty much oblivious.
                  Many of the studies tested people after they were given some pot by the researchers. IIRC, one of the big differences was that drunk drivers don't realize just how impaired they were and thought they were doing just fine, whereas the stoned drivers were actually more cautious because they understood they were impaired.

And this leads to the old joke that the easiest way to spot a stoned driver was look for the car going 40 on a road with a 55 mph speed limit.

Comment

Many of the studies tested people after they were given some pot by the researchers.
                    OK, that's different.

IIRC, one of the big differences was that drunk drivers don't realize just how impaired they were and thought they were doing just fine, whereas the stoned drivers were actually more cautious because they understood they were impaired.
                    Makes total sense. And also touches on the notion that pot smokers are still aware of their surroundings, and recognize the police car.

And this leads to the old joke that the easiest way to spot a stoned driver was look for the car going 40 on a road with a 55 mph speed limit.
                    Either a stoner or a senior adult, or maybe a stoned senior adult.

Comment

*emphasis mine

It doesn't last. I've had people come in for interview I thought were okay (probably not 'fine') and about a third of the way through it is like talking to a kinda sleepy three year old.

If YOU don't know if you've had a symptom, how the heck am I supposed to know?!?!?!

I have completed some of those interviews - the ones where getting them back in was iffy - but others I've just rescheduled. There's no point - they can't help you and there's no way to help them.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Either a stoner or a senior adult, or maybe a stoned senior adult.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Does it help that I had the same thought when I posted what he was responding to?

Comment

If they can do their job and meet acceptable standards,

There are very few brain surgeons out there. It seems like an oddly specific thing to extrapolate broad policy from.
                            Okay, but I don't think explaining that they are incompetent to assist in STD interview is gonna make nearly as much sense to other people.

The point is, the more frequent their usage, the less competent they become. I've interviewed patients who believably stated they hadn't used in the last 48 hrs (it matters in some treatments) yet did use regularly - the majority of those were difficult interviews and I'm not counting the folks who just didn't want to be interviewed. Their long term memories are full of holes and, oh dear Lord, you don't want to ask them about time frames! It's not so evident just talking, but when we get into the details - I'd truly rather interview someone who was born mentally impaired. At least they don't TRY to make obvious nonsense make sense - try and fail, that is, because the marijuana users think they remember when they don't.

Light usage and we don't see that - unless they come in stoned (which happens way too often) - I grant.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I really wouldn't care if a doctor giving me a check up smoked pot on occasion but wouldn't want any sort of surgeon who frequently used any psychoactive drug operating on me. Heck, I would be leery of one who drank a dozen cups of coffee a day.

So what is your point? Did you think I was claiming that pot is harmless?
                              That does seem to be the direction of the thread although not necessarily you specifically.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Does it help that I had the same thought when I posted what he was responding to?
                                You thought about MY driving?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment