Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    What good does blaming gaming do for that? What good can possibly come from people thinking the other is a moron or worse? I dont get it.
    As I said, "In some cases I don't think it is finger pointing."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Can you please give an example?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    The fact is, I would be much more believing that liberals care about the crisis if it was not ONLY a focus on "gun control". If they were to announce that they were ALSO looking for why people do this, I'd be more impressed.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am just annoyed with the conspiratorial attitudes. What good does all the finger pointing and blaming video games and cannabis do for anyone? It doesnt help us understand each other or create a more just society. Paranoia breeds loathing and isolation.
    Yeah. Several years back, I studied a lot of the research on violent media in general (video games, tv, movies, etc) and the impact on violence. Basically, I could only identify violent media as a contributing factor to violent acts because of the frequent exposure in developing minds and a more significant contributing factor in those with mental illness (particularly so when the mentally ill person is still young). The research on that was pretty solid.

I personally think that the mass shooting phenomenon is a result of many factors. Particularly: our culture's glorification of violence, the frequent and sometimes subliminal exposure to acts of violence without significant negative consequence via media on developing and/or mentally ill minds, our ease of access to guns, our entirely inadequate mental health system, our aversion to creating better physical security apparatus at target locations, a rise in social sandboxing because of the internet, and a desire among marginalized young men to commit masked suicide by killing others (thus achieving infamy)....a lot of which is fueled by our morally bankrupt main stream media organizations.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

5. Amen NorrinRadd, Teallaura, One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    Yeah. Several years back, I studied a lot of the research on violent media in general (video games, tv, movies, etc) and the impact on violence. Basically, I could only identify violent media as a contributing factor to violent acts because of the frequent exposure in developing minds and a more significant contributing factor in those with mental illness (particularly so when the mentally ill person is still young). The research on that was pretty solid.

I personally think that the mass shooting phenomenon is a result of many factors. Particularly: our culture's glorification of violence, the frequent and sometimes subliminal exposure to acts of violence without significant negative consequence via media on developing and/or mentally ill minds, our ease of access to guns, our entirely inadequate mental health system, our aversion to creating better physical security apparatus at target locations, a rise in social sandboxing because of the internet, and a desire among marginalized young men to commit masked suicide by killing others (thus achieving infamy)....a lot of which is fueled by our morally bankrupt main stream media organizations.
    Along with all of that - the breakdown of discipline in the schools. There was a time when the teachers were to be respected, and - as was the policy in my home as a kid - if I got a "swat" at school, I got TWO at home. But, it's a whole different world we live in now.

7. Amen Teallaura, One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Guns were easier to access in America prior to the 90s, after which mass shootings begin a parabolic move upwards.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Along with all of that - the breakdown of discipline in the schools. There was a time when the teachers were to be respected, and - as was the policy in my home as a kid - if I got a "swat" at school, I got TWO at home. But, it's a whole different world we live in now.
    Yep. In general, our culture has a lot less respect for authority than it used to. Also, for a variety of reasons, there are a lot of young men in our country who don't have a father figure in their life. While moms are great, I think not having a present father really negatively impacts all children, but in particular young men. They grow up subconsciously searching for a way to define and express their masculinity, with disastrous results when they find the wrong example to follow. I've done some casual research into this before, and their are some interesting studies out there talking about how a father figure impacts child development and how men and women in general parent differently...which is good for children's development.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

10. Amen Teallaura, One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Guns were easier to access in America prior to the 90s, after which mass shootings begin a parabolic move upwards.
    Perhaps, but our society has changed a lot since then. It's the combination of factors that I think is such a problem.

Also, the last few times I've looked at the numbers, violent crime in general has declined significantly since the 70s (I believe). The mass shootings, however, are an interesting exception to that. Or course 24-hour news media cycle, though, would lead one to believe that violent crime is getting worse...and that police are killing civilians as at much higher rate, for that matter.

Added for clarity: I'm very pro-2nd Amendment and a bit of a gun-nut myself. I'm paranoid about gun control, I just have to acknowledge that in countries with less guns, they also see less gun violence.
    Last edited by myth; 08-10-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Can you please give an example?
    Look at myth's post #17 for one example.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yep. In general, our culture has a lot less respect for authority than it used to. Also, for a variety of reasons, there are a lot of young men in our country who don't have a father figure in their life. While moms are great, I think not having a present father really negatively impacts all children, but in particular young men. They grow up subconsciously searching for a way to define and express their masculinity, with disastrous results when they find the wrong example to follow. I've done some casual research into this before, and their are some interesting studies out there talking about how a father figure impacts child development and how men and women in general parent differently...which is good for children's development.
    So, maybe God was smart after all when He designed the family unit -- a mom and a dad with kids related by blood! (and I am pro-adoption, so let's not leave that out)

It's amazing now how un-PC it is to talk about a family unit being a mom and a dad and kids. That's homophobic, xenophobic...