Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 95

Thread: The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

  1. #21
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,518
    Amen (Given)
    11615
    Amen (Received)
    24835
    Unfortunately, the link to "Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence" is simply a link to purchase the book on Amazon.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  2. #22
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    574
    Amen (Given)
    53
    Amen (Received)
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, maybe God was smart after all when He designed the family unit -- a mom and a dad with kids related by blood! (and I am pro-adoption, so let's not leave that out)

    It's amazing now how un-PC it is to talk about a family unit being a mom and a dad and kids. That's homophobic, xenophobic...
    Yup! I'll try to find the example...but this podcast I heard specifically talked about how fathers tend to 'rough house' with kids with things like play wrestling, and how that helps reinforce social boundaries in young children by demonstrating respect for others, teaching limits about the use of physical force and how fun can be had within boundaries set by the authority figure.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

  3. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  4. #23
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,518
    Amen (Given)
    11615
    Amen (Received)
    24835
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    Yup! I'll try to find the example...but this podcast I heard specifically talked about how fathers tend to 'rough house' with kids with things like play wrestling, and how that helps reinforce social boundaries in young children by demonstrating respect for others, teaching limits about the use of physical force and how fun can be had within boundaries set by the authority figure.
    Ya know, that's a natural thing... I used to love watching the neighbor dog, Sandy, come over to play with Jake. They'd play chase, and King on the Mountain, and wrestle, and just about the time you thought, "OK, this is getting vicious", one of them would yelp, and they would both immediately pull away and just stand there looking at each other like, "OK, sorry, got carried away".

    I can't remember which one, but one of the black celebrities (not Cosby) talked about that - the role of the father was to teach the son limitations on "mixing it up", and not going too far.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  5. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  6. #24
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    50,766
    Amen (Given)
    1078
    Amen (Received)
    18437
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Unfortunately, the link to "Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence" is simply a link to purchase the book on Amazon.
    IOW this was nothing more than someone exploiting tragedy for profit.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  7. #25
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,518
    Amen (Given)
    11615
    Amen (Received)
    24835
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    IOW this was nothing more than someone exploiting tragedy for profit.
    If the emphasis on selling the book was the main one, yes, but it appears to be only a reference.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  8. #26
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,917
    Amen (Given)
    211
    Amen (Received)
    775
    It's going to be a sad state of affairs if, while guns obviously end up being the political left scapegoat, marijuana turns out to be the political right scapegoat
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

  9. #27
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    574
    Amen (Given)
    53
    Amen (Received)
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Ya know, that's a natural thing... I used to love watching the neighbor dog, Sandy, come over to play with Jake. They'd play chase, and King on the Mountain, and wrestle, and just about the time you thought, "OK, this is getting vicious", one of them would yelp, and they would both immediately pull away and just stand there looking at each other like, "OK, sorry, got carried away".

    I can't remember which one, but one of the black celebrities (not Cosby) talked about that - the role of the father was to teach the son limitations on "mixing it up", and not going too far.
    Yup. Found the link: https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...ith-your-kids/
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

  10. #28
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    50,766
    Amen (Given)
    1078
    Amen (Received)
    18437
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    If the emphasis on selling the book was the main one, yes, but it appears to be only a reference.
    Kinda looks like it was the reference.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  11. #29
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,518
    Amen (Given)
    11615
    Amen (Received)
    24835
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Kinda looks like it was the reference.
    Go away!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  12. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  13. #30
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,518
    Amen (Given)
    11615
    Amen (Received)
    24835
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    That would drive the socialists absolutely bonkers!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •