Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The link between pot and mass shootings may be closer than we think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    That does seem to be the direction of the thread although not necessarily you specifically.
    How can we distinguish between arguing that something is harmful and that it should be illegal?

I hate marijuana with a burning passion (pun not intended). I have townhouse neighbors who hotbox their living room and let it seep through the wall every day. I'm unwilling to go on record defending it as a good thing. I'm simply not convinced it's so bad it justifies incarceration.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      How can we distinguish between arguing that something is harmful and that it should be illegal?

I hate marijuana with a burning passion (pun not intended). I have townhouse neighbors who hotbox their living room and let it seep through the wall every day. I'm unwilling to go on record defending it as a good thing. I'm simply not convinced it's so bad it justifies incarceration.
      The question for society is two fold: does it harm the individual and does it harm society as a whole. Marijuana, in my opinion, does both.

The question then becomes is incarceration the best punitive measure against the user? I think the answer is sometimes yes, but more often, no. There are other punitive measures we can take - and I would argue they should be coupled with measures that discourage repeat use. But incarceration is cheap relative to creating new programs with adequate funding to actually work. Usually, advocates claim the things save money - which they might in the long run - but aren't honest about the start up costs.

We have a lot of things in place we could modify - but it will take vision and a few dead kids. The reality is that people are so sold on this 'it's harmless' nonsense that there will have to be a wake up call that no one wants.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The question for society is two fold: does it harm the individual and does it harm society as a whole. Marijuana, in my opinion, does both.
        Does having a net negative for society as a whole justify making something illegal, or is a higher bar necessary? I readily grant this is the case for marijuana. However, I also believe one could say this about video games and hardly anybody argues for banning them (though Prince Harry did suggest banning Fortnite because kids are so hooked on it). I would argue for a higher bar because of a philosophical belief that a free society requires the ability to make poor decisions, within reason.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The question then becomes is incarceration the best punitive measure against the user? I think the answer is sometimes yes, but more often, no. There are other punitive measures we can take - and I would argue they should be coupled with measures that discourage repeat use. But incarceration is cheap relative to creating new programs with adequate funding to actually work. Usually, advocates claim the things save money - which they might in the long run - but aren't honest about the start up costs.

We have a lot of things in place we could modify - but it will take vision and a few dead kids. The reality is that people are so sold on this 'it's harmless' nonsense that there will have to be a wake up call that no one wants.
          And yet, in the words of Jimmy Carter (who I don't often find myself in agreement with):

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            And yet, in the words of Jimmy Carter (who I don't often find myself in agreement with):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39068[/ATTACH]
            Um, how does that disagree with what I said?
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment