Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Muslims Resisting Muslims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslims Resisting Muslims

I've been asking for this.

I've been looking for "where are the 'reasonable' Muslims exposing and standing up to the 'radical' Muslims"?

Maybe this is it...

In France, Even Muslims Have Had It With Radical Muslims

PARIS - They call themselves Les Resilientes, the Resisters, and they meet every week in a couple of modest rooms in the immigrant neighborhood of Saint-Denis, on the northern outskirts of Paris. Their main purpose is to provide a refuge for women who have been victims of violence, but they are fighting another battle as well.

Though most of the Resilientes are Muslims of North African heritage, they are resisting other Muslims -- the growing influence and strength of a conservative, fundamentalist Islam in their neighborhood.

“What worries me is that it's developing; it's not retreating,” the group’s founder and president, Rachida Hamdan, told me during a visit in June to the Resilientes center, located on a charmless avenue lined with public housing estates. “More and more, for example, you see little girls wearing the veil, which I oppose because I see it as a symbol of female submission. But it's also an act of open defiance against the Republic,” she said, referring to French laws that limit wearing certain religious identifiers in public. “You see it in front of the schools, mothers telling other mothers that their children should be veiled. I've been told by 17-year-old boys that I'm not a true Muslim because I'm not veiled. Who is telling them to say things like that?”

“If they force us to close our doors, they will have everything,” she said, “they” being the conservative imams and elected officials who, she says, depend on the Muslim vote in her immigrant neighborhood. “They'll have the city hall, the cafes, the movie theaters, the schools, the money. If we go, there will be nothing in the way of their radical program.”

Hamdan's worries reflect a striking change in France. For decades, raising alarms about what is widely called “Islamization” has been the province of the far right, especially the anti-immigrant National Front, now called the Rally for the Nation, which is the country's second most powerful political party. And today too, many French of liberal persuasion resist criticism of Islam because it echoes, in their view, the racism and anti-Semitism that has afflicted France's and Europe's past, including the attempted anti-Muslim genocide in the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s.

But four years ago France was profoundly jolted by two terrorist attacks carried out by extremist Muslims ‒ one at the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo where 12 journalists were gunned down, and a series of three coordinated attacks a few months later in which 130 people were killed, including 90 during a concert at the Bataclan theater. Over the months and years since then, the worry about Islamization has clearly gone mainstream.

“We're totally past the point where it's the fascist far right and the National Front electorate who are standing up against Islamization,” Marie-Laure Brossier, a city councilor from the Paris suburb of Bagnolet and an ally of Hamdan’s, told me. “The Islamo-left labels us fascists and right-wingers, but that's just an effort on their part to discredit us. Practically all of the activists that I work with and who are fighting against the Islamist effort to push religion into the public space are on the left.”

“It's clear that there is a big change,” Pierre Manent, a political philosopher at the prestigious School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences in Paris. “We've had a substantial immigration, the major part of which consists of Muslims coming from North Africa, Afghanistan, Syria, and other places. The doctrine of successive governments has been to minimize the changes that this has brought about and especially to say that any worries about it are exaggerated. The policy has even prevented us from having clear statistics, because of the idea that the republic is open to all. So the tendency has been to prevent a calm discussion of the question. But a growing part of the culture is Muslim, much of which resists assimilation. That's a fact.

“When you reach a certain critical mass,” he continued, “integration becomes impossible. It isn't even desirable any more for any of the parties in question. We may already be there.”

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

demi was looking for this, too. Leftists against Diversity

Practically all of the activists that I work with and who are fighting against the Islamist effort to push religion into the public space are on the left.

“It's clear that there is a big change,” Pierre Manent, a political philosopher at the prestigious School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences in Paris. “We've had a substantial immigration, the major part of which consists of Muslims coming from North Africa, Afghanistan, Syria, and other places. The doctrine of successive governments has been to minimize the changes that this has brought about and especially to say that any worries about it are exaggerated. The policy has even prevented us from having clear statistics, because of the idea that the republic is open to all. So the tendency has been to prevent a calm discussion of the question. But a growing part of the culture is Muslim, much of which resists assimilation. That's a fact.
    When things get too bad, even some libs notice! Maybe too late though!!!

“When you reach a certain critical mass,” he continued, “integration becomes impossible. It isn't even desirable any more for any of the parties in question. We may already be there.”
    Sad!
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      demi was looking for this, too. Leftists against Diversity
      Demi, with all due respect, as thread owner, I'm asking you to leave the thread. I really don't think you have anything helpful to contribute.

Consistent with our rules on expulsion, you have the right to ONE response, then please unsubscribe.

Thanks
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

demi understands, you look high, also for rare tree, finally found it! Maybe can share with friends, 'not all of them like that!' Then demi spoils buzz, 'don't focus on tree, look at forest'.

Hear demi: in this case, resisting is cos they converted, in very real sense. They converted to become secular, leftist French prog, become secularised Muslim. Else why would they resist?

More interesting is big picture

For decades, raising alarms about what is widely called “Islamization” has been the province of the far right,
        Eventually some libs will admit 'far right' is correct, but too late then. They wake up only when too late. In fact, maybe is accurate sign: when they finally finally wake up, then really really too late.
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Not sure if it isn't too little, too late - but who knows? Maybe.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment