Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

On Marty Sampson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like superheroes, but they are essentially fantastic versions of volunteer emergency services workers. Why cut out the middle man and say Jesus is like a volunteer emergency services worker that came to save the lost. And people should not compare Jesus to a certain fictional environmental refugee.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      I like superheroes, but they are essentially fantastic versions of volunteer emergency services workers. Why cut out the middle man and say Jesus is like a volunteer emergency services worker that came to save the lost. And people should not compare Jesus to a certain fictional environmental refugee.
      You know why God created Firemen?

Because cops needed heroes.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        You know why God created Firemen?

Because cops needed heroes.

Firefighters save lives. Jesus saves souls! Hmmm... Jesus was a one man medical field, how would He do against a fire? They had house fires in ancient times.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Thanks. Never much cared for Hillsong, which would help explain my ignorance.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Thanks. Never much cared for Hillsong, which would help explain my ignorance.
            Is Hillsong one of the "Jesus is my girlfriend" outfits? Lots of emotion and mood stuff?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

OK, so I found this ....Why Hillsong Music is Dangerous For Your Church

Houston, we have a problem!

Brian Houston, that is. Arguably one of the most influential figures of today’s professing church, Houston, is currently the senior pastor of the worldwide multi-site megachurch known as Hillsong. The church, founded by Houston’s paedophile father, Frank Houston, dominates the contemporary worship music scene, with their songs being played in churches of every denomination around the entire world.

Popular songs like Oceans and Forever Reign with lyrics like “Spirit lead me, where my trust is without borders,” and “nothing compares to your embrace” fill the IMAG screens of Baptist churches, Methodist churches, Pentecostal churches, Catholic churches–churches of every kind during Sunday morning worship. From raging electric guitars, drums, and professional soloists to small choirs with nothing more than a keyboard and a few singers, the music is emotionally captivating, bringing many to tears and arms lifted high, as they sing out praises to God.

So what’s not to like?

First, Hillsong is a cult. Particularly, a cult of personality. In a blog post on Hillsong’s website entitled Five Things That Should Matter to a Worship Leader, one of Hillsong’s foremost worship leaders, Jonathan Douglass writes:

2. We are about fulfilling our Senior Pastor’s vision (not our own)

It is so important that as amazing as our creative ideas might be, if they don’t ultimately line up with what our Senior Pastor and leaders want, then we happily put them aside.The church doesn’t exist to build our worship teams… our worship teams exist to build the Church!!

Comment

Is Hillsong one of the "Jesus is my girlfriend" outfits? Lots of emotion and mood stuff?
                Maybe? It's been at the forefront of praise & worship music for a couple decades, I think. I'm pretty far removed from that now.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Maybe? It's been at the forefront of praise & worship music for a couple decades, I think. I'm pretty far removed from that now.
                  Yeah, that's not my thing --- and I just posted something that, if true, is rather concerning.

Comment

Yeah, that's not my thing --- and I just posted something that, if true, is rather concerning.
                    Well, Pulpit & Pen is not an even-handed source; they're the ones who excoriated Hank Hanegraaff for "leaving the Christian faith" when he became Orthodox.

sigpic

Comment

Well, Pulpit & Pen is not an even-handed source; they're the ones who excoriated Hank Hanegraaff for "leaving the Christian faith" when he became Orthodox.
                      OK - I hereby proudly declare I'm not an authority on contemporary music or the criticism thereof.

Comment

OK - I hereby proudly declare I'm not an authority on contemporary music or the criticism thereof.
                        I'm not saying their points aren't valid - I'm no authority on that either - just that their polemics might not be on-point.

sigpic

Comment

I'm not saying their points aren't valid - I'm no authority on that either - just that their polemics might not be on-point.
                          Fair enough - we'll see if anybody else knows more than we do, even collectively.

Comment

yeah, they tend to be a "only those who fit our narrow definition of Christians are Christians" bunch.

for example as a Charismatic they consider me to be one of the worst types of heretics.
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              It's okay to use appropriate metaphors for God. Otherwise, David would have been wrong to write "the Lord is my shepherd".

And, to be blunt, Pulpit and Pen is a garbage site that turns Christians against Christians and uses riposte in unjustified circumstances.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                It's okay to use appropriate metaphors for God. Otherwise, David would have been wrong to write "the Lord is my shepherd".

And, to be blunt, Pulpit and Pen is a garbage site that turns Christians against Christians and uses riposte in unjustified circumstances.
                                I found their treatment of Nabeel Qureshi particularly distasteful.
                                sigpic

Comment