Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On Marty Sampson

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OK, so I found this ....Why Hillsong Music is Dangerous For Your Church

Houston, we have a problem!

Brian Houston, that is. Arguably one of the most influential figures of today’s professing church, Houston, is currently the senior pastor of the worldwide multi-site megachurch known as Hillsong. The church, founded by Houston’s paedophile father, Frank Houston, dominates the contemporary worship music scene, with their songs being played in churches of every denomination around the entire world.

Popular songs like Oceans and Forever Reign with lyrics like “Spirit lead me, where my trust is without borders,” and “nothing compares to your embrace” fill the IMAG screens of Baptist churches, Methodist churches, Pentecostal churches, Catholic churches–churches of every kind during Sunday morning worship. From raging electric guitars, drums, and professional soloists to small choirs with nothing more than a keyboard and a few singers, the music is emotionally captivating, bringing many to tears and arms lifted high, as they sing out praises to God.

So what’s not to like?

First, Hillsong is a cult. Particularly, a cult of personality. In a blog post on Hillsong’s website entitled Five Things That Should Matter to a Worship Leader, one of Hillsong’s foremost worship leaders, Jonathan Douglass writes:

2. We are about fulfilling our Senior Pastor’s vision (not our own)

It is so important that as amazing as our creative ideas might be, if they don’t ultimately line up with what our Senior Pastor and leaders want, then we happily put them aside.The church doesn’t exist to build our worship teams… our worship teams exist to build the Church!!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Is Hillsong one of the "Jesus is my girlfriend" outfits? Lots of emotion and mood stuff?
    Maybe? It's been at the forefront of praise & worship music for a couple decades, I think. I'm pretty far removed from that now.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Maybe? It's been at the forefront of praise & worship music for a couple decades, I think. I'm pretty far removed from that now.
    Yeah, that's not my thing --- and I just posted something that, if true, is rather concerning.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, that's not my thing --- and I just posted something that, if true, is rather concerning.
    Well, Pulpit & Pen is not an even-handed source; they're the ones who excoriated Hank Hanegraaff for "leaving the Christian faith" when he became Orthodox.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

5. Amen Teallaura, Raphael, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, Pulpit & Pen is not an even-handed source; they're the ones who excoriated Hank Hanegraaff for "leaving the Christian faith" when he became Orthodox.
    OK - I hereby proudly declare I'm not an authority on contemporary music or the criticism thereof.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OK - I hereby proudly declare I'm not an authority on contemporary music or the criticism thereof.
    I'm not saying their points aren't valid - I'm no authority on that either - just that their polemics might not be on-point.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not saying their points aren't valid - I'm no authority on that either - just that their polemics might not be on-point.
    Fair enough - we'll see if anybody else knows more than we do, even collectively.

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    yeah, they tend to be a "only those who fit our narrow definition of Christians are Christians" bunch.

for example as a Charismatic they consider me to be one of the worst types of heretics.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    I like superheroes, but they are essentially fantastic versions of volunteer emergency services workers. Why cut out the middle man and say Jesus is like a volunteer emergency services worker that came to save the lost. And people should not compare Jesus to a certain fictional environmental refugee.
    It's okay to use appropriate metaphors for God. Otherwise, David would have been wrong to write "the Lord is my shepherd".

And, to be blunt, Pulpit and Pen is a garbage site that turns Christians against Christians and uses riposte in unjustified circumstances.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

11. Amen Teallaura, Raphael, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It's okay to use appropriate metaphors for God. Otherwise, David would have been wrong to write "the Lord is my shepherd".

And, to be blunt, Pulpit and Pen is a garbage site that turns Christians against Christians and uses riposte in unjustified circumstances.
    I found their treatment of Nabeel Qureshi particularly distasteful.

13. Amen Raphael amen'd this post.