Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If They Found This Thing We Know Why The Aliens Haven't Shown Up

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

If They Found This Thing We Know Why The Aliens Haven't Shown Up

There's a link to a video below - it's interesting and what got me started on this topic but not essential for the discussion.

Well, the good news is we're expecting the Sun to be the same color in 40,000 years and Johnny B Goode will still be around - even if only in other solar systems. I remember reading about the Voyager program in the Smithsonian and Omni (I think - pretty sure). I don't remember anything other than 'team of experts' being mentioned for the group that selected material for and encoded the record that was to be sent with the probes.

Turns out, they were all friends and colleagues of Carl Sagan.

It's fifty years too late to worry about it - can't exactly fix it now! But that's a pretty poor way to select a team for something that's supposed to represent us all. Yeah, they were short on time - but not that short.

It bugs me because I was a kid when this was happening and it is another bite of cynicism into my childhood. I think it should be a cautionary lesson - a little cronyism now can cost you a lot of respect - or worse - later. And yeah, makes me wonder even more about Science! the profit* from on high (horse)! I really respected Sagan - and LOVED Cosmos!

The Celestial Message in a Bottle

*Not a spelling error.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We all know how it turns out... V'ger and Captain Kirk. and the other one probably went on to found the Borg in TNG.

Thanks Carl. Thanks a bunch.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    We all know how it turns out... V'ger and Captain Kirk. and the other one probably went on to found the Borg in TNG.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What would you expect be on it that was not?
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Bacon?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    You really think a narrow cadre will choose well things to represent other cultures? Or even to fully represent their own?

It's an incredibly narrow window into our world - it was bound to be American centric but by using a narrow group you only get narrower results.

Of course, big committees are big headaches - but you have to wonder if we showed it to the other cultures back then, would they have been happy with it? Because it's not just a narrow window into our world - it's a narrow window to our past.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    You really think a narrow cadre will choose well things to represent other cultures? Or even to fully represent their own?

It's an incredibly narrow window into our world - it was bound to be American centric but by using a narrow group you only get narrower results.

Of course, big committees are big headaches - but you have to wonder if we showed it to the other cultures back then, would they have been happy with it? Because it's not just a narrow window into our world - it's a narrow window to our past.
    Who cares though? It's not like the aliens would be able to know the difference or that our cultural differences would matter to them or anyone 40,000+ years from now. They would just be interested that another intelligent species exists out there, and were edible.

8. Amen One Bad Pig, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Eh, the sun isn't going to change a whole lot in 40k years. It'll get a tiny bit brighter.

Diversity would arguably make it more difficult for another civilization to make heads or tails of it; if you're looking to communicate, less is more.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here was a comment I left on another Youtube video with similar subject matter, "Not only will no intelligent life ever find it in the vastness of space, but the odds that intelligent alien life will even have the ability to listen to it, never mind the ability/technology to play it, play it at the proper speed, and be able to discern what they're listening to is, well, the odds are more than astronomical. It's a completely ridiculous concept created by people who were more caught up in science fiction than science fact."

There are soooooooooo many factors to take into consideration when assuming that ETs could ever listen to an album. Not least including that our biology is largely adapted to our environment. Assuming, somehow, that ETs even have the biological mechanisms to perceive sonic vibrations through an atmosphere, it will most likely sound completely distorted in whatever atmosphere it's played in. There's a great podcast called Twenty Thousand Hertz that actually delved into this a bit ago where they simulated what certain things would sound like just on planets within our solar system.

https://www.20k.org/episodes/space
    Last edited by Adrift; 08-13-2019 at 01:38 PM.

12. Amen Teallaura, Raphael, NorrinRadd, KingsGambit amen'd this post.