Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

If They Found This Thing We Know Why The Aliens Haven't Shown Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    . . . because he strongly objected without specific reason what he would have made the message contain in the limited space available at the time.

Actually the technologically advanced aliens on distant planets would learn far more from our radio, television, and other communication transmissions that preceded and transmitted since that the very limited brief greeting contents of the pioneer 10 space probe.
    Go reread her post, she had an objection unrelated to your rant here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      er what?

The Pioneer 10 only had a metal plaque on it. Voyager 1 and 2 had the record with the data on it. Teal was talking about the Voyager probes.
      The problem is the same.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

. . . because he strongly objected without specific reason what he would have made the message contain in the limited space available at the time.

Actually the technologically advanced aliens on distant planets would learn far more from our radio, television, and other communication transmissions that preceded and transmitted since that the very limited brief greeting contents of the pioneer 10 space probe.
        So, you didn't understand the OP and you can't spell 'she'.

Please leave my thread.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          Go reread her post, she had an objection unrelated to your rant here.
          The problem is the same whether pioneer or voyager probes. No rant just the question that remains unanswered.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            So, you didn't understand the OP and you can't spell 'she'.

Please leave my thread.
            Will do, with the question remains unanswered.

Frank

Comment

Ungracious as ever.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The problem is the same.
                no. Her "problem" was that she thinks that Sagan and crew did not include enough variety of human culture.

But I think they did a pretty good job.

Here is a web site about the record and it's contents.

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-record/

Comment

May I remind the denizens of this thread that one should not further respond or refer to the posts of those who have been asked to leave?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    May I remind the denizens of this thread that one should not further respond or refer to the posts of those who have been asked to leave?
                    I was writing my post during the time Teal was kicking him out.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Would that include all posters or just those who are inhabiting or residing in the thread?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        no. Her "problem" was that she thinks that Sagan and crew did not include enough variety of human culture.

But I think they did a pretty good job.

Here is a web site about the record and it's contents.

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-record/
                        I would agree with you. But I was more of a mind that we shouldnt tell the prospective aliens anything about us, given they are just as likely to want to invade as to be friends.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Would that include all posters or just those who are inhabiting or residing in the thread?
                          Yes.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Here was a comment I left on another Youtube video with similar subject matter, "Not only will no intelligent life ever find it in the vastness of space, but the odds that intelligent alien life will even have the ability to listen to it, never mind the ability/technology to play it, play it at the proper speed, and be able to discern what they're listening to is, well, the odds are more than astronomical. It's a completely ridiculous concept created by people who were more caught up in science fiction than science fact."

There are soooooooooo many factors to take into consideration when assuming that ETs could ever listen to an album. Not least including that our biology is largely adapted to our environment. Assuming, somehow, that ETs even have the biological mechanisms to perceive sonic vibrations through an atmosphere, it will most likely sound completely distorted in whatever atmosphere it's played in. There's a great podcast called Twenty Thousand Hertz that actually delved into this a bit ago where they simulated what certain things would sound like just on planets within our solar system.

https://www.20k.org/episodes/space
                            This was a pretty neat podcast episode; thanks for sharing this.
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

IF there are aliens, which I doubt, I think the likelihood of the probes being found is quite high...

Of course

The Odds

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                IF there are aliens, which I doubt, I think the likelihood of the probes being found is quite high...

Of course

The Odds

Much too small. The chances are infinitessinal would be my assassment.

Jim
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment