Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Every Democrat in the Senate Against Free Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    How did you get to be such a smarmy little conniving conman? Oh, yeah, you're a LIBERAL!!!!
    NOTICE: This post is not in jest, nor is it intended to be sarcastic...

My sincere apologies to liberals everywhere. I know quite a few in real life, and not a single one of them* is a 'smarmy little conniving conman**'. They are, to a person, good honest decent people who are simply wrong about political things!

*OK, there's Martin, but I don't think it's because he's a liberal
    ** Truth be told, I don't think Jim is, either - I think he's just screwed-up-in-the-head who's only here (for the most part) to be a pain in the butt

ETA: I think we have some liberals on Tweb who are also decent honest people - wanted to make sure I included that.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-16-2019, 10:13 AM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

NOTICE: This post is not in jest, nor is it intended to be sarcastic...

My sincere apologies to liberals everywhere. I know quite a few in real life, and not a single one of them* is a 'smarmy little conniving conman**'. They are, to a person, good honest decent people who are simply wrong about political things!
      I've met a number of liberals who are kind, decent people until the subject veers into politics, and then they suddenly become smarmy little conniving con-men. It's one of the reasons I generally avoid political discussions in person.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

"Some of my best friends are liberals."

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Most of the people I work with at the "faith based mission" thing are liberals -- both religiously and politically. We most certainly discuss politics, and avoid the same sex marriage thing.

We put all that aside to focus on the needs of the people to whom we minister.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Pirates have friends?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I see the US is making a bid to become a fascist theocracy with proposed changes to labour laws.

The rule would “clarify that the religious exemption allows religious contractors not only to prefer in employment individuals who share their religion, but also to condition employment on acceptance of or adherence to religious tenets as understood by the employing contractor.”

In other words, not only could a religious hospital that contracts with the government refuse to hire someone who is Muslim or Jewish, they could also refuse to hire someone in a same-sex marriage or fire someone who had sex before marriage.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                I see the US is making a bid to become a fascist theocracy with proposed changes to labour laws.
                I see you failed to provide a source for this OPINION of an uncited rule.

Comment

I see you failed to provide a source for this OPINION of an uncited rule.
                  The U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) announced a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking intended to clarify the civil rights protections afforded to religious organizations that contract with the federal government. The proposed rule ensures that conscience and religious freedom are given the broadest protection permitted by law. The proposed rule is currently available for public inspection and will be published in the Federal Register tomorrow, August 15, 2019.
                  This proposed rule is intended to promote religiously inspired employment discrimination. I heard about it on 'Opening Arguements' 306.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

This proposed rule is intended to promote religiously inspired employment discrimination. I heard about it on 'Opening Arguements' 306.
                    You don't know how to do a link to the actual cite? It's not that I don't trust you --- I just doubt your veracity.

Here's the link you should have provided.

This is the actual proposed rule from the Federal Register.

Let's see if you are capable of explaining how this fits your claim that

...the US is making a bid to become a fascist theocracy with proposed changes to labour laws.
                    How does this proposed rule do that?

Comment

You don't know how to do a link to the actual cite? It's not that I don't trust you --- I just doubt your veracity.
                      Or, "it's not that I don't believe you, but you never tell the truth."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Or, "it's not that I don't believe you, but you never tell the truth."
                        I can't say that he NEVER tells the truth. It's just that, when he does, he's just very creative in the way he dresses it.

Comment

I can't say that he NEVER tells the truth. It's just that, when he does, he's just very creative in the way he dresses it.
                          I should note that I wasn't directing that at ff per se, as it is a saying I picked up years ago (hence the quotation marks) and use from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I should note that I wasn't directing that at ff per se, as it is a saying I picked up years ago (hence the quotation marks) and use from time to time.
                            Understood - and I don't find ff a particularly dishonest fellow - I believe that he believes the incredible distortions of truth he purveys. He's just so frequently incredibly incorrect.

Comment

I see the US is making a bid to become a fascist theocracy .
                              Why you progs like to make big theocracy bogey?
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Pretty sure that is already the law, that religious organizations can discriminate based on religion. Why wouldn't they? Why should a Muslim organization have to hire Christians, or vice versa?

Can Religious Organizations Discriminate?

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 generally prohibits any sort of employment discrimination based on sex, race, national origin, or religion. However, there is a notable exception to the rule: religious organizations are allowed to discriminate on the basis of their religion.

The reason is because they have the right to free exercise of religion. It also has a basis in common sense. For instance, a Catholic school would want to hire Catholic nuns rather than atheists, and the same goes with priests, etc. This exception encompasses all employees of a religious organization, and not just those in the top tier.
                                https://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...te.html?form=2

Comment