Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Every Democrat in the Senate Against Free Speech

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    ...and perhaps the democrats outdid the republicans for the first time in 2018 in garnering special interest donations...
    Perhaps?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This is about campaign financing, Sparko, not about Hollywood or the movies they make. As far as movies are concerned, you see what you want to see.
    so you didn't read the article then? Or even the first paragraph of CP's OP?

Every Democrat in the Senate is backing a constitutional amendment that aims to overturn Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, the 2010 decision in which the Supreme Court lifted legal restrictions on what corporations and unions are allowed to say about politics at election time. That would be troubling enough, since Citizens United, which involved a film that was banned from TV because it was too critical of Hillary Clinton, simply recognized that Americans do not lose their First Amendment rights when they organize themselves in a disfavored way. But the so-called Democracy for All Amendment goes much further than nullifying one Supreme Court decision. It would radically rewrite the constitutional treatment of political speech, allowing Congress and state legislatures to impose any restrictions on election-related spending they consider reasonable.

The case they want to revoke with this new amendment was regarding a movie that was critical to Hillary. The case was decided that spending money to criticize a candidate was within the free speech rights of a company no matter how much they spent on it. Revoking that would mean that the government could limit how much money could be spent on such a movie or project, making it impossible to make or show on TV. So Trump could say, you can't spend more than 1000 on any movies that are critical to him, or in support of any Democratic candidate.

3. Amen Cow Poke, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You obviously don't have a grasp of this whole concept.

I bet you even typed that with a straight face.

What the Democrat party thinks is a fine idea is getting REPUBLICAN special interest big money out of politics, but allowing their own.
    The question remains, why do you want special interests money to remain in politics?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The question remains, why do you want special interests money to remain in politics?
    Please show me where I ever said I did.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Democrats could care less about special interest money in politics. The records show they took tons of it in 2018. They only care when Republicans get money.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Democrats could care less about special interest money in politics. The records show they took tons of it in 2018. They only care when Republicans get money.
    And Republicans are just as bad - it's just that the Democrats are, in this case, the ones trying to change the rules. Just like eliminating the electoral college --- "we can't win fair and square, so we're gonna change the rules".

8. Amen RumTumTugger, Teallaura, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And Republicans are just as bad - it's just that the Democrats are, in this case, the ones trying to change the rules. Just like eliminating the electoral college --- "we can't win fair and square, so we're gonna change the rules".
    So, like I asked before, and you denied it, why do you want special interest money in politics? Democrats are trying to change those rules, because it leads to a corrupt system. So why don't you want to change that? My guess is that you understand that it is you republicans that can't win in a fair election.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, like I asked before, and you denied it, why do you want special interest money in politics?
    Jim, you can play this stupid little game, but it's pretty transparent what you're doing. How bout growing up a bit?

Democrats are trying to change those rules, because it leads to a corrupt system.
    Democrats are trying to change the rules so they can have an advantage, just like getting rid of the electoral college.

So why don't you want to change that? My guess is that you understand that it is you republicans that can't win in a fair election.
    Sure, Jim - you've got it all figured out.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Jim, you can play this stupid little game, but it's pretty transparent what you're doing. How bout growing up a bit?

Democrats are trying to change the rules so they can have an advantage, just like getting rid of the electoral college.

Sure, Jim - you've got it all figured out.
    CP, you just gave yourself away. You just admitted that you want special interest money in elections because without it, democrats win. Checkmate, you lose.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    CP, you just gave yourself away. You just admitted that you want special interest money in elections because without it, democrats win. Checkmate, you lose.
    That's an outright lie, Jim -- but no surprise from you whatsoever. But feel free to play your stupid moronic games.