Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Reason Why a Democrat Presidency in 2020 is an Extremely Bad Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Oh horse hockey. Talk about squirming to justify an inconsistent position. The fact is, "the people will speak" in November, and we will not know who the president will be until late in the day on November 3rd, 2020. So the same principle (the people's will) applies, if you're going to be consistent. McConnell is doing what he always does - finding some niggling little hole to squirm through to justify his inconsistent and misleading positions. When he first ran for the Senate, he had his people dig into the financial records of his opponent and found a few times when his opponent had not been present for a Senate vote because he was giving a money-raising speech for his campaign. Together with Roger Ailes, McConnell cooked up a brilliant add campaign about a hunting dog looking for his opponent who was not to be found. Hidden behind all of that was the fact that a) every Senator misses votes for campaign events, and b) his opponent had one of the best attendance records (96%) in the Senate. So McConnell could claim he actually told the truth when the fact was he was twisting the truth to leave a false impression.

He's doing it again. And if you swallow this steaming pile of horse manure, then I guess you deserve exactly the kind of leadership you're getting...
    Sounds like the opponent had a terrible campaign manager - that one would have been easy and fun to counter.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Remember? The Dems do it all the time! Remember Obamacare?
      Remember? He is fake moderate. So first fault always on Rep side.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Remember? The Dems do it all the time! Remember Obamacare?
        OK, this has me curious. While I am aware both sides do rules twisting, how does Obamacare even begin to resemble the disingenuous rules twisting McConnell did?
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Sounds like the opponent had a terrible campaign manager - that one would have been easy and fun to counter.

Not the point, Teal. The point was the deceptiveness of the ad campaign itself and McConnell's "strategy," demonstrating that there is one objective to this man: win.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Americans - not just Southerners - believed slavery was a perfectly moral institution. Doesn't make it right.

There is no rational argument for the fetus (literally 'young child') being anything other than a human child. So if they wanna believe the earth is flat - let 'em - as long as they aren't in charge of navigation. They are welcome to believe children aren't actually children - but that does NOT grant the right to slaughter human beings, period.

There was no 'twisting of the rules' - the Constitution does NOT specify a time frame and no Congress got around to creating one. The expectation is that the president serving will make the nomination - but the Constitution doesn't spell out what happens if the vacancy occurs a week before inauguration.

I think it was unfair given that there was time to complete the process. I am dubious that there was time if the Senate voted down a nominee to repeat the process - which seemed likely - but still, it could have been done with at least one. Regardless, it was a political move and, yeah, unfair. Not illegal, not even underhanded - just unfair.

So, you didn't get an at bat but there wasn't a rule that said you HAD to get it. Life stinks sometimes. But literally tens of millions of children may now have a future - so no, I'm not seeing the injustice here.
            Heck, there isn't even a requirement to nominate/confirm someone at all. The size of the USSC isn't enshrined into law anywhere, which is why packing the court is theoretically possible in the first place.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

OK, this has me curious. While I am aware both sides do rules twisting, how does Obamacare even begin to resemble the disingenuous rules twisting McConnell did?
              Obama's was worse - he even broke his own rules. Remember all the promises of transparency, and that he "will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days."

Would you call that disingenuous?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Obama's was worse - he even broke his own rules. Remember all the promises of transparency, and that he "will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days."

Would you call that disingenuous?
                No. While I don't applaud that choice, there is a difference between campaigning and governing. Politicians say many things on the campaign trail, only to discover that governing is a different animal and having to go back on things they said on the trail. To show "disingenuous" you'd have to show that he made the pledge knowing he was not going to do it. The pledge was made in his first campaign for president, when he had zero experience AS president. For example, Trump promised to cancel all finding of sanctuary cities. If he did so KNOWING he would not keep the promise, that would be disingenuous. Much as I find the man repugnant, I have no basis for believing he did that. The available information suggests he wanted to, and discovered he was making a promise that he legally could not keep.

Now one might ask how it would be possible for him to NOT know the legality of what he was promising. That is a different issue. For Obama, the issue was not a legal one, and I have no idea why he ultimately elected to not keep the campaign promise. In general, I think people should keep their promises. But I also think people should be up-front if they have made a promise they later decide was not in anyone's best interests and own the reason for their change. Obama never gave us a reason (which I deplore), and Trump blamed everyone else (instead of simply saying, "I made a promise without understanding the legal implications"), which I also deplore.

Again - neither of these things is anything like what McConnell did in 2016, which he clearly does not intend (according to him) to follow through on if it happens again in 2020. His track record is clear: honesty takes second place to "winning."

Comment

No. While I don't applaud that choice, there is a difference between campaigning and governing.
                  Of course there is. Silly silly me.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Of course there is. Silly silly me.
                    You mean, like Obama, who campaigned about 416 times in 417 weeks while governing?
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The grossly unfair ramming it down everyone's throat after promising to be 'cooperative' and try to be 'bipartisan' - just before saying 'but we won' part.

McConnell didn't twist or distort the rules - he defied convention but this ain't the UK. Neither 'broke' the rules - both were unfair.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        You mean, like Obama, who campaigned about 416 times in 417 weeks while governing?

Comment

Not the point, Teal. The point was the deceptiveness of the ad campaign itself and McConnell's "strategy," demonstrating that there is one objective to this man: win.
                          Wasn't addressing the point - it had nothing to do with the argument that I could see anyway.

If you aren't bright enough to beat the bully when he's doing stupid things...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The grossly unfair ramming it down everyone's throat after promising to be 'cooperative' and try to be 'bipartisan' - just before saying 'but we won' part.

McConnell didn't twist or distort the rules - he defied convention but this ain't the UK. Neither 'broke' the rules - both were unfair.
                            So clearly you won't object when the Dems do the same thing when they inevitably get the reins of power back in their hands...

Comment

So clearly you won't object when the Dems do the same thing when they inevitably get the reins of power back in their hands...
                              I already said we should fix this before it becomes a 'thing' and both parties start undermining the presidency.

I'm still not seeing the injustice - and the rules weren't 'twisted' - you can't twist rules that don't exist.

As for 'inevitably' I'd normally agree - but I'm unsure if the Democratic party will survive should Trump win in 2020, which [ WAY TOO EARLY in the game to call, I know!] it looks like he well might.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                That's different, he's the One.

Comment