Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 70

Thread: A Reason Why a Democrat Presidency in 2020 is an Extremely Bad Idea

  1. #11
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Why can't the democrats every just play by the existing rules? Rather than winning within the bounds of the law, they decide to change the rules. They want to eliminate the electoral college because they lost the election, now they want to restructure the supreme court because Trump got some conservatives in.

    It's sad.
    I think they are simply too far left - they are actually influenced by Leftists. That translates to power being the only thing they actually care about. They showed there hand too early - that's probably due to Obama and gay marriage (taking the lid off the boiling pot might not be the best option...) in my opinion - but whatever caused it, they are stuck with the craziness and changing the rules is their only way to win.

    On the bright side, they have a mostly young base - ignorant enough to think socialism is a good idea, no where near the attention span to actually get a constitutional amendment done.

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  2. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  3. #12
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,969
    Amen (Given)
    253
    Amen (Received)
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I think Heart of Atlanta is correct - read it. The reason it was upheld isn't its innate constitutionality. They uphold despite its unconstitutionality.
    I did read Heart of Atlanta. They upheld it because they viewed as constitutional. That's straight up in the decision. Now, perhaps you feel they erred in that decision, but that's not what you claimed--you said that "The Court has always held that the CRA was unconstitutional" even though they never held that, not in Heart of Atlanta Motel nor in any other case. Please show me where in that opinion they stated it was unconstitutional, because the whole basis of the decision was that it wasn't unconstitutional. I'm feeling very confused, as if you're looking at a different case or law than I am.
    Last edited by Terraceth; 08-14-2019 at 05:23 PM.

  4. #13
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    I did read Heart of Atlanta. They upheld it because they viewed as constitutional. That's straight up in the decision. Now, perhaps you feel they erred in that decision, but that's not what you claimed--you said that "The Court has always held that the CRA was unconstitutional" even though they never held that, not in Heart of Atlanta Motel nor in any other case. Please show me where in that opinion they stated it was unconstitutional, because the whole basis of the decision was that it wasn't unconstitutional. I'm feeling very confused, as if you're looking at a different case or law than I am.
    Let me reread it - that's not my recollection.

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  5. #14
    tWebber demi-conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,273
    Amen (Given)
    172
    Amen (Received)
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Why can't the democrats every just play by the existing rules? Rather than winning within the bounds of the law, they decide to change the rules. They want to eliminate the electoral college because they lost the election, now they want to restructure the supreme court because Trump got some conservatives in.

    It's sad.
    Do thinking of long term. If Dems 'play by rules' you lose, definitely. Culture is for them to lose, now they go crazy, only chance for you.

    It is best thing that can happen.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

  6. #15
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,532
    Amen (Given)
    13983
    Amen (Received)
    28844
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Often when one of them gets caught breaking this or that law they immediately start declaring that we need a new law. If you didn't obey the old law why in the world should anyone believe you'd obey any new ones?
    Waaaaannnnhhhhh.... we had more home runs than the other team, and they still won!!!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  7. #16
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Waaaaannnnhhhhh.... we had more home runs than the other team, and they still won!!!
    There's actually a question about whether or not those runs were legit...



    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  9. #17
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,532
    Amen (Given)
    13983
    Amen (Received)
    28844
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    There's actually a question about whether or not those runs were legit...


    But I saw them taking Imodium and making frequent trips to the bathroom!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  10. #18
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But I saw them taking Imodium and making frequent trips to the bathroom!





    Hey!!!

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  12. #19
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,505
    Amen (Given)
    32
    Amen (Received)
    1408
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Why can't the democrats every just play by the existing rules? Rather than winning within the bounds of the law, they decide to change the rules. They want to eliminate the electoral college because they lost the election, now they want to restructure the supreme court because Trump got some conservatives in.

    It's sad.
    You mean like giving a presidents supreme court nomination a hearing, instead of holding the position hostage to the "will of the people," only to then observe, only a few years later, that if the same situation arises in 2020, they will seat a justice as soon as possible, and to heck with "the will of the people?" You mean like that?

    ETA: BTW, this post in no way implies my agreement with the positions taken by the left in the OP. Personally, I think packing the court is a bad idea. Frankly, I think the entire politicization of the courts has been incredibly bad for us as a nation. But I do think complaining about "playing by the rules" is more than a little disingenuous, when BOTH parties do it. And I personally think the electoral college needs to go, and it has noting to do with "I lost" since I'm not a democrat and didn't even vote for Gore in 2000. I think it needs to go because it was a bad idea and does not reflect the modern forces at work within the country.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 08-15-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  13. Amen Teallaura, JimL amen'd this post.
  14. #20
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,615
    Amen (Given)
    5596
    Amen (Received)
    23878
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    You mean like giving a presidents supreme court nomination a hearing, instead of holding the position hostage to the "will of the people," only to then observe, only a few years later, that if the same situation arises in 2020, they will seat a justice as soon as possible, and to heck with "the will of the people?" You mean like that?

    ETA: BTW, this post in no way implies my agreement with the positions taken by the left in the OP. Personally, I think packing the court is a bad idea. Frankly, I think the entire politicization of the courts has been incredibly bad for us as a nation. But I do think complaining about "playing by the rules" is more than a little disingenuous, when BOTH parties do it.
    I have no clue what you just said.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •