Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72

Thread: To Reduce Gun Violence, Congress Must Address Mental Health

  1. #11
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The problem is, though, who gets to determine which people are too mentally ill to own a gun? Do they take the gun just because someone is on anti-depressants? Claiming depression causes suicides? What about bipolar? And how long? People's mental states change over time and with treatment. And perfectly normal people can snap or become mentally ill and never even see a doctor. How do you catch them?

    And isn't taking guns away from someone because they MIGHT do something kinda like that movie "Minority Report" where people got arrested based on what some psychics predicted they were going to do?

    I am just worried the anti-gun people will abuse this. "Oh, he voted for Trump! Obviously a white supremacist nutjob who can't be trusted with a gun!"
    You use similar safe guards for confinement - and limit it to the time that the person is so unwell that gun ownership - and driver's licensing - are a danger to self and others. I think tying it to driving will help - only the urban insane folks will support loose requirements to take people's licenses.

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  2. #12
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,488
    Amen (Given)
    341
    Amen (Received)
    1318
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    You use similar safe guards for confinement - and limit it to the time that the person is so unwell that gun ownership - and driver's licensing - are a danger to self and others. I think tying it to driving will help - only the urban insane folks will support loose requirements to take people's licenses.
    Driving is not as political of an issue as guns, so it can't really be compared.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

  3. #13
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,841
    Amen (Given)
    5494
    Amen (Received)
    23656
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

    If they own a MAGA hat they're patently a risk to the public at large and need to have any firearms they own confiscated.

    except with the way liberals are labeling every Trump supporter a Nazi, that is probably not a joke but what will really happen. And there are a lot of liberal doctors and judges out there.

  4. #14
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,841
    Amen (Given)
    5494
    Amen (Received)
    23656
    And how long do you keep the guns from someone? They would need a followup hearing to determine if they are sane enough to have a gun again. And does the government "store" these confiscated guns so they can be given back? Guns are pretty expensive.

  5. #15
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    59,351
    Amen (Given)
    1218
    Amen (Received)
    21626
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    except with the way liberals are labeling every Trump supporter a Nazi, that is probably not a joke but what will really happen. And there are a lot of liberal doctors and judges out there.
    That's one of my issues with the red flag laws currently being proposed. They confiscate the firearms and then later, in a few weeks or months, they hold a hearing where you finally get to defend yourself. Kinda turns due process on its head and pretty much like Carroll's Queen of Hearts when she declares in Alice in Wonderland "Sentence first! Verdict afterwards."

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  6. #16
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,841
    Amen (Given)
    5494
    Amen (Received)
    23656
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    That's one of my issues with the red flag laws currently being proposed. They confiscate the firearms and then later, in a few weeks or months, they hold a hearing where you finally get to defend yourself. Kinda turns due process on its head and pretty much like Carroll's Queen of Hearts when she declares in Alice in Wonderland "Sentence first! Verdict afterwards."
    Minority Report.

  7. #17
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Driving is not as political of an issue as guns, so it can't really be compared.
    I didn't compare them - I said both should be impacted and that tying them together might strengthen the gun safe guards.


    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  8. #18
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    That's one of my issues with the red flag laws currently being proposed. They confiscate the firearms and then later, in a few weeks or months, they hold a hearing where you finally get to defend yourself. Kinda turns due process on its head and pretty much like Carroll's Queen of Hearts when she declares in Alice in Wonderland "Sentence first! Verdict afterwards."
    And this would be why - the terms have to be spelled out in the legislation - tying it to something that everyone will have issues with makes (more) sure that the terms are spelled out and are as fair as possible - and overseen as fairly as possible.

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  9. #19
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,488
    Amen (Given)
    341
    Amen (Received)
    1318
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    And this would be why - the terms have to be spelled out in the legislation - tying it to something that everyone will have issues with makes (more) sure that the terms are spelled out and are as fair as possible - and overseen as fairly as possible.
    Good luck.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

  10. #20
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,841
    Amen (Given)
    5494
    Amen (Received)
    23656
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    And this would be why - the terms have to be spelled out in the legislation - tying it to something that everyone will have issues with makes (more) sure that the terms are spelled out and are as fair as possible - and overseen as fairly as possible.
    voting?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •