Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Godfather, sequels, cartoons, Dune, James Bond etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    Rowan Atkinson. It had my dad curled up in his seat crying with laughter (he enjoys the humour of Rowan Atkinson's Bean and the Peter Sellers' The Party type of stuff)
    OOoooh. You mean the Black Adder. He'll always be the Black Adder to me. If your dad digs Pink Panther and Mr. Bean type humor, he'll probably appreciate the source of all that, French director/actor Jacques Tati. His Mr. Hulot creation is the source of all of that. It's essentially silent Chaplin style film set to sound:

When I was a kid (I was born in 1980) my dad was busy working on his PhD and money was tight, and having grown up in WW2, and having had to drop out of high school at 16 to work (and putting himself through night school to get his Senior Certificate, then his B.Com, Hons, Masters and PhD), he's never really seen the point of spending much money on entertainment.

What we used to do was go hiking and camping in the Natal Drakensberg instead, or go mountain biking.
    That's understandable. I don't know how it was in New Zealand, but a lot of Boomers in the States had parents that lived through the Depression, and ended up with the same penny pinching behavior as their parents. While my dad did take me to the cinema quite a bit, he also followed me around the house turning off lights, and told me to wear a heavier sweater in the winter in the house when I complained it was cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      You mean you don't picture Frank Oz?
      Not really. And funny you should mention that because I was just telling some friends the other day that when I heard Frank Oz and Jim Henson's voices when I was a kid, I didn't picture the "actor" so much as I pictured "puppet." They were the "puppet" voices.

Comment

yep

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertain...ectid=12245346

Source: NZ Herald

Beloved British comedian Rowan Atkinson has reportedly told friends he is planning a reboot of the cult black comedy Blackadder and is "extremely excited".

The Mr Bean superstar is set to team up with his original co-stars again to bring the 80s series back to life, including Tony Robinson, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, The Sun reports.

It had been previously reported the cast would perhaps consider a one-off show, but now it's believed a full fifth series is being considered.

The original series ran for four seasons between 1983 and 1989, with each season taking place in a different period of history.

The new season - according to a source of the Sun's - will be set in the "modern day", in which Edmund Blackadder (Atkinson) would be a university lecturer.

According to the Sun, the stars agreed to reboot the series after meeting at London members' club Soho House.

A source said: "They were all having a great laugh and they are all old friends. So they just said, 'Yes, let's do it'. It is being written now. Rowan has been saying he is extremely excited.

"It will be in the modern day. Blackadder will be a lot older, of course, so they've come up with the ageing university lecturer idea."

The source also added: "Curtis and Atkinson have discussed guest appearances from stars such as Tom Hardy and Russell Brand."

© Copyright Original Source

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          OOoooh. You mean the Black Adder. He'll always be the Black Adder to me. If your dad digs Pink Panther and Mr. Bean type humor, he'll probably appreciate the source of all that, French director/actor Jacques Tati. His Mr. Hulot creation is the source of all of that. It's essentially silent Chaplin style film set to sound:

Thanks, I will suggest it to him (he is a fan of Charlie Chaplin as well so yeah)

That's understandable. I don't know how it was in New Zealand South Africa [ftfy], but a lot of Boomers in the States had parents that lived through the Depression, and ended up with the same penny pinching behavior as their parents. While my dad did take me to the cinema quite a bit, he also followed me around the house turning off lights, and told me to wear a heavier sweater in the winter in the house when I complained it was cold.
          Yeah my dad was born in 1939 (turned 80 last month) and one of his formative memories (during the war) was my grandmother showing him her empty coin purse telling him there wasn't any money for anything (another was his cousin, an orphan who lived primarily with my grandparents, getting special treatment from his uncles etc because he was an orphan).

The lights thing is the same (I joke that my dad is part mole).
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Yu Yu Hakusho was another one of the somewhat darker shows I watched growing up.
            IIRC if Yoshihiro Togashi had been allowed he would have probably taken the story of Yu Yu Hakusho in a completely different direction than it ended up going, but the editors and publishers wouldn't allow him his creative freedom. And it shows. It's a great story, with interesting characters, but in terms of originality and breaking free from the mold it's not that much different from all the other shounen manga/anime of the time.

When it comes to Hunter X Hunter however, which he ended up creating after being finished with YYH, he did not have these limits on his creative freedom however, and for some reason he was allowed a very flexible schedule when it came to chapter releases, and both of these were probably the main contributing factors as to why HxH has ended up becoming in my opinion one of the best, if not the best, shounen manga (and why the 2011 anime is one of the best shounen anime) of all time. Watching Togashi go through all of the common and often cliched tropes of the genre, masterfully deconstructing them into their smallest details and then put them back together as something fresh and improved is honestly such a treat and I don't think I'll ever tire of it.

Then there's Vinland Saga (by Yukimura Makoto) which got an anime this year, with 6 episodes released already. The manga that the anime is based on is simply phenomenal, and with the way the anime adaption has been going so far it's looking like it's shaping up to be just as great as the source material. If Studio Wit doesn't mess up horribly it will probably end up being anime of the year for me, and probably contending for anime of the decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Most the Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon stuff is unwatchable nowadays. Courage the Cowardly Dog was good but that was ages ago.
              I miss "Boomerang." Nostalgic '60s fun.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Ah, yeah. Adventure Time. That's the name of it. My brother wouldn't let his girls watch it because he thought it was too out there.
                Around here, for people of my generation, Adventure Time has a completely different meaning.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

That's understandable. I don't know how it was in New Zealand, but a lot of Boomers in the States had parents that lived through the Depression, and ended up with the same penny pinching behavior as their parents. While my dad did take me to the cinema quite a bit, he also followed me around the house turning off lights, and told me to wear a heavier sweater in the winter in the house when I complained it was cold.
                  I'd be a better person if that had been my case. Instead it was the opposite. My mom was a Depression kid (my dad was almost ten years younger), and her family struggled. My g'parents on that side came over from "the old country" (Transylvania, at the time). Mum and her friends did things like use tar bubbles off the street as chewing gum, and put gum or other sticky stuff on the end of sticks in order to fish for cookies in storm drains. She was determined my life would NOT be like that, so I was spoiled really excessively. It was fun, but not good life prep.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

They're working on a new one....

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      Not really. And funny you should mention that because I was just telling some friends the other day that when I heard Frank Oz and Jim Henson's voices when I was a kid, I didn't picture the "actor" so much as I pictured "puppet." They were the "puppet" voices.
                      Muppet

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Really!?!?! Awesome!!!!

Tony Robinson had a hilarious idea for them to be hippies in the Sixties. Okay, now it would have to be aging Hippies but still...
                        There was a Christmas special in which part of it was set in the distant future.

Comment

• There also this masterful little comedy special of Rowan Atkinson as Doctor Who.

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            I miss "Boomerang." Nostalgic '60s fun.
                            Boomerang is still around. It's just that... well..

Comment

• Now if we can just get Rowan Atkinson playing James Bond in an animated sequel to the Godfather set on Dune

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Now if we can just get Rowan Atkinson playing James Bond in an animated sequel to the Godfather set on Dune
                                So basically an animated Johnny English sequel that parodies Moonraker, but instead of an evil industrialist, the villain is the head of a powerful Mafioso family.

Yeah, I could get behind that.

Comment