Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Godfather, sequels, cartoons, Dune, James Bond etc.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    ftfy

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Disney channel was a premium cable service that my parents couldn't afford.
    Well, they aired the same shows on ABC as well. TailSpin, DuckTales, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck etc. I only had Disney when I was really young, and much later in life since cable was expensive.

Yeah, I was a cartoon addict in the 70s and 80s, but filmwise, my dad was taking me to see The Dark Crystal and Heavy Metal, and Heavy Metal wasn't really intended for children. Besides maybe The Secret of NIMH and The Black Cauldron, I'm straining to think of animations that were theaters when I was a kid. The Last Unicorn? Dot and the Kangaroo? Disney didn't ramp up the animation big time till the 90s I guess. By the time films like An American Tale and Roger Rabbit came out I was already too old for that stuff.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit might have been "PG", but it wasn't exactly a kids movie. Under todays rating it should be at least PG-13. I will never understand why some people think of animation as "kids stuff". Just because a show isn't rated R doesn't mean it is "just for kids".

No idea what those are. I think the last Japanimation movie I saw was maybe the Cowboy Bebop movie or Spirited Away. I never got into the anime cartoon series. I attempted to watch that one with the giants, and it was too goofy and scatterbrained to keep my attention. Watched the first episode of that one show, I think it's called One Punch Man, or something, and it was just too silly. I think I just don't...get...anime. I got it in the late 80s and 90s cause it was grown up R-rated (and sometimes X-rated) stuff in a cartoon. And to me and my high school pals it was cool and edgy, but I'm completely out of the loop with the stuff that's going on today.
    Rorouni Kenshin was also known as Samurai X. Yu Yu Hakusho was another one of the somewhat darker shows I watched growing up.

Yeah, I heard of Gravity Falls. Every now and then I'll check something out when my nieces are over, but they're teens now, so they don't watch cartoons much. I watched a few episodes of the Misadventures of Flapjack and that trippy cartoon with that kid with the white hat, and his talking dog with them a few years ago. Weird psychedelic stuff I probably would have dug in my, ahem, experimental phase.
    That would be Adventure Time for the dog and kid with the white hat. I never really got into it, but I do have to appreciate the animation. Gravity Falls is great, heck even my mom and dad like it. It's not often we get a show all of us enjoy watching.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was a little let down when I heard that the characters in the show were going to voice acted by a bunch of Hollywood celebrities. One of the things I LOVE about The Dark Crystal is how alien and foreign it is. I don't want Mark Hamill, Simon Peg, or Helena Bonham-Carter's faces in my mind while I'm listening to Skesis arguing with one another. I never really got the point of celebrity voice-overs anyhow. I mean, you can't see their face, just hire some regular who does this full time (and yea, I realize this is pretty much Hamill's full time job now).

Never saw the sequel. I'll have to check it out some time.

Bean movie?

That's a shame. The theater experience has changed dramatically since I was a kid. It used to be an experience. I mean it was a big deal. It feels much less so nowadays. The picture itself just doesn't look right. It all feels like it's produced and cut on a TV show level. Might be something lost between film and digital. I miss picture grain, and soundtracks that were as epic as the picture on giant screens, and before every film was part of a massive franchise or a reboot.
    Mark Hamill is actually a really good voice actor. I mean, he's now the most iconic voice for The Joker for most Batman fans. He's also got a rather wide range of voices too.

4. Amen KingsGambit, Teallaura, Raphael, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Disney Afternoon wasn't confined to Disney Channel. Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, et al

Seventies would have included The Fox and The Hound - only Disney movie animated movie I really didn't like. The Wall would technically fit. But yeah, none of the studios were doing nearly as much animation then.

I only knew one of the three - although I think the second is a second go round for that character.

Most the Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon stuff is unwatchable nowadays. Courage the Cowardly Dog was good but that was ages ago.
    Regular Show was ok, but before that the last really good show I remember from them was Symbionic Titan, but it got cancelled quickly because they couldn't think of any toys to make for it. This in a show that featured aliens and robots.

Right now the only thing I watch regularly is the DuckTales reboot, which is really good. I'm hoping they bring in Darkwing Duck as a new series alongside it. They've actually kind of got everything set up too. If you liked the old DuckTales, I'd say check it out. The art style worried me a bit, but I'm really enjoying it. I'm almost liking it better than the original, which is a really high bar for me. I even got the old show on DVD to compare the two. The people working on it clearly care about the source material, but do enough new to make it their own thing. There are only a small handful of changes they made that I don't like, and given how much I like the remainder, that's not much to ask.

6. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was a little let down when I heard that the characters in the show were going to voice acted by a bunch of Hollywood celebrities. One of the things I LOVE about The Dark Crystal is how alien and foreign it is. I don't want Mark Hamill, Simon Peg, or Helena Bonham-Carter's faces in my mind while I'm listening to Skesis arguing with one another. I never really got the point of celebrity voice-overs anyhow. I mean, you can't see their face, just hire some regular who does this full time (and yea, I realize this is pretty much Hamill's full time job now).
    I can agree with you on the Simon Pegg and the Helena Bonham-Carter, but outside of Star Wars Mark Hamill has been a very prolific and successful voice actor. As Brum noted, he's acknowledged as being the best animated Joker for years.

Never saw the sequel. I'll have to check it out some time.
    Completely different animation style, way more young kid friendly. Not a bad movie, but you wouldn't think the one was a sequel of the other going from the style

Bean movie?
    Rowan Atkinson. It had my dad curled up in his seat crying with laughter (he enjoys the humour of Rowan Atkinson's Bean and the Peter Sellers' The Party type of stuff)

That's a shame. The theater experience has changed dramatically since I was a kid. It used to be an experience. I mean it was a big deal. It feels much less so nowadays. The picture itself just doesn't look right. It all feels like it's produced and cut on a TV show level. Might be something lost between film and digital. I miss picture grain, and soundtracks that were as epic as the picture on giant screens, and before every film was part of a massive franchise or a reboot.
    When I was a kid (I was born in 1980) my dad was busy working on his PhD and money was tight, and having grown up in WW2, and having had to drop out of high school at 16 to work (and putting himself through night school to get his Senior Certificate, then his B.Com, Hons, Masters and PhD), he's never really seen the point of spending much money on entertainment.

What we used to do was go hiking and camping in the Natal Drakensberg instead, or go mountain biking.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

8. Amen Teallaura, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

You mean you don't picture Frank Oz?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

10. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'll guess I'll have to watch that sometime when Mrs CP isn't home - she doesn't like that kind of film.
    It's quite good. You get to see more of how the main characters evolved and devolved over the decades.

And it's the one where we get the "I'm smart!" scene.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

12. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    Depends on the show. I loved the 1980's TMNT cartoon, ...
    Pet peeve: That was one of those cases where the first few episodes had really great art and animation -- like, theater-quality -- and then the later ones appeared cheap and rushed by comparison. I *really* noticed that with "Gargoyles."
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

14. Amen Teallaura, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    Mark Hamill is actually a really good voice actor. I mean, he's now the most iconic voice for The Joker for most Batman fans. He's also got a rather wide range of voices too.
    His Hobgoblin voice is about the same as his Joker voice, IIRC.

Beige Nationalist.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Pet peeve: That was one of those cases where the first few episodes had really great art and animation -- like, theater-quality -- and then the later ones appeared cheap and rushed by comparison. I *really* noticed that with "Gargoyles."
    Yeah, that always bugged me too. I still loved the show, same with Gargoyles. Still it is understandable, you have to make a good first impression.