Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Godfather, sequels, cartoons, Dune, James Bond etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The high level of detail is what made the setting "real" rather than merely a cardboard backdrop

Now if you want a book with a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of useless detail, try reading Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros. He literally spent several pages describing in excruciating detail what the main characters were wearing while attending some function
    The Wheel of Time was like that. I don't think I could have read the books. I listened to the audiobook and he would spend 15 minutes describing some woman's dress. Who cares? The story was great, but it probably could have been half the size if he left out the useless trivia.

Comment

The high level of detail is what made the setting "real" rather than merely a cardboard backdrop

Now if you want a book with a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of useless detail, try reading Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros. He literally spent several pages describing in excruciating detail what the main characters were wearing while attending some function
      Actually, The Hobbit and Dune are the only two that really irk me with useless detail. I grant you need SOME detail to make it real - but describing moss?!?!? That was what killed The Hobbit for me - I trudged all the way through but

As for the other book - no, no thank you....

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Actually, The Hobbit and Dune are the only two that really irk me with useless detail. I grant you need SOME detail to make it real - but describing moss?!?!? That was what killed The Hobbit for me - I trudged all the way through but

As for the other book - no, no thank you....

I liked the Hobbit, but I never could read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. same reason, pages of useless drivel, like the stupid elvish songs.

Comment

You didn't know if he was a spy. He could be some high level criminal or even someone's body guard. The only thing you knew is that this was someone you shouldn't muck around with.
          Still, a good spy is supposed to be inconspicuous and blend into the background.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I liked the Hobbit, but I never could read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. same reason, pages of useless drivel, like the stupid elvish songs.
            That was more of an issue with The Silmarillion

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Still, a good spy is supposed to be inconspicuous and blend into the background.
              Yeah, they made that point several times but Bond was more than just a spy. He was an assassin. The whole "licensed to kill" thing. And his targets weren't political targets but extremely dangerous folks surrounded by even more dangerous folks.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah, they made that point several times but Bond was more than just a spy. He was an assassin. The whole "licensed to kill" thing. And his targets weren't political targets but extremely dangerous folks surrounded by even more dangerous folks.
                well it would go double for an assassin. Just look at Ninjas.

Comment

well it would go double for an assassin. Just look at Ninjas.
                  In reality ninjas were no match in a head-to-head fight with a samurai. Bond was fighting a lot of "samurai."

Comment

In reality ninjas were no match in a head-to-head fight with a samurai. Bond was fighting a lot of "samurai."

but obviously Ninjas are no match for pirates.

Comment

but obviously Ninjas are no match for pirates.
                      While a lot of people think ninja tactics and techniques were a major influence in special forces training, FWIU both pirates and Southwestern Native American (especially Apache) had a much bigger influence.

Comment

I loved that book, even the agonizing detail. Something about the way he wrote...I just loved it.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          That's cool. I think I was raised in that period where Disney was trying really hard to make live action films a bigger thing than their animation division, and so it never really stuck with me. I like weird adult cartoons like Fantastic Planet, and Ralph Bakshi's stuff, and when those adult/gory Japanimation films first started getting big in the late 80s and 90s I was into that stuff for a bit (movies like Akira, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell), but unless it's something like The Secret of the Kells, Kubo and the Two Strings, or Persepolis, I don't really go too far out of my way to watch it. I have a coworker who only watches those films though. He's got kids, which makes sense, but his only frame of reference when it comes to film is Pixar animation type stuff. I really liked Wall-E, and the first Incredibles movie, but like I said, the sequel didn't really do it for me.
                          I grew up when Disney Afternoon was a big thing, so some of my favorite stuff goes way back. I also watched Underdog, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and other really old stuff. I like anime too, some of my favorites are Rorouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho Spirit Detective, and oddly enough Ultimate Muscle. More recently the DuckTales reboot, and Gravity Falls have been some of my favorites. Gravity Falls is something you might like with the horror/mystery theme. It is one I can recommend for most ages.

Comment

Sounds like just about any of Anne Rice's novels.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              Yeah, like I said, it really depends on the adaptation. I think people are crazy when they complain about, say, the Lord of the Rings adaptations, which seemed to me as faithful as possible given the format. On the other hand, people HATE the Dune adaptation, where I prefer it over the book. Arguably the 60s Batman show was a straight adaptation of the 50s and 60s comics of the time. I was a little too old for the whole TMNT thing, but I know that the initial comic was pretty dark, and framed on Frank Miller's Daredevil run.
                              the Amazon adaption of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens is a pretty faithful adaptation. In the where it diverges from the book it's pretty much because that works better on screen than in print.

Edit To Add: and the new Watership Down on Netflix. I found that to be a very good adaption of the book (why yes, a book about rabbits having a war happens to be one of my favourite books)
                              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                                I grew up when Disney Afternoon was a big thing, so some of my favorite stuff goes way back. I also watched Underdog, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and other really old stuff. I like anime too, some of my favorites are Rorouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho Spirit Detective, and oddly enough Ultimate Muscle. More recently the DuckTales reboot, and Gravity Falls have been some of my favorites. Gravity Falls is something you might like with the horror/mystery theme. It is one I can recommend for most ages.
                                I enjoyed Rorouni Kenshin because it rarely ever relied on super powers or abilities. In fact it often explained how some of the tricks that were thought to be magical were accomplished.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X