Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Godfather, sequels, cartoons, Dune, James Bond etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I was a little let down when I heard that the characters in the show were going to voice acted by a bunch of Hollywood celebrities. One of the things I LOVE about The Dark Crystal is how alien and foreign it is. I don't want Mark Hamill, Simon Peg, or Helena Bonham-Carter's faces in my mind while I'm listening to Skesis arguing with one another. I never really got the point of celebrity voice-overs anyhow. I mean, you can't see their face, just hire some regular who does this full time (and yea, I realize this is pretty much Hamill's full time job now).

You mean you don't picture Frank Oz?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'll guess I'll have to watch that sometime when Mrs CP isn't home - she doesn't like that kind of film.
      It's quite good. You get to see more of how the main characters evolved and devolved over the decades.

And it's the one where we get the "I'm smart!" scene.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Depends on the show. I loved the 1980's TMNT cartoon, ...
        Pet peeve: That was one of those cases where the first few episodes had really great art and animation -- like, theater-quality -- and then the later ones appeared cheap and rushed by comparison. I *really* noticed that with "Gargoyles."
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Mark Hamill is actually a really good voice actor. I mean, he's now the most iconic voice for The Joker for most Batman fans. He's also got a rather wide range of voices too.
          His Hobgoblin voice is about the same as his Joker voice, IIRC.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            Pet peeve: That was one of those cases where the first few episodes had really great art and animation -- like, theater-quality -- and then the later ones appeared cheap and rushed by comparison. I *really* noticed that with "Gargoyles."
            Yeah, that always bugged me too. I still loved the show, same with Gargoyles. Still it is understandable, you have to make a good first impression.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post

Rowan Atkinson. It had my dad curled up in his seat crying with laughter (he enjoys the humour of Rowan Atkinson's Bean and the Peter Sellers' The Party type of stuff)
              I always though Atkinson's best character was the Black Adder.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                His Hobgoblin voice is about the same as his Joker voice, IIRC.
                It might be similar, but if I'm remembering right not the same. Another good voice actor is Jim Cummings, most of the time you can make out it is still him, but he does a good job. I mean he does Scar's singing voice for part of Be Prepared, and most people didn't notice.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I always though Atkinson's best character was the Black Adder.
                  The second Black Adder was my favorite.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    The second Black Adder was my favorite.
                    The first Black Adder was just another of his dimwitted goofball characters. Now don't get me wrong, it was still hilarious. But I liked seeing him branch out into a different type of character which he did in the later versions.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      The first Black Adder was just another of his dimwitted goofball characters. Now don't get me wrong, it was still hilarious. But I liked seeing him branch out into a different type of character which he did in the later versions.
                      They're working on a new one....
                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                        They're working on a new one....
                        Really!?!?! Awesome!!!!

Tony Robinson had a hilarious idea for them to be hippies in the Sixties. Okay, now it would have to be aging Hippies but still...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Really!?!?! Awesome!!!!

Tony Robinson had a hilarious idea for them to be hippies in the Sixties. Okay, now it would have to be aging Hippies but still...
                          yep

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertain...ectid=12245346

Source: NZ Herald

Beloved British comedian Rowan Atkinson has reportedly told friends he is planning a reboot of the cult black comedy Blackadder and is "extremely excited".

The Mr Bean superstar is set to team up with his original co-stars again to bring the 80s series back to life, including Tony Robinson, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, The Sun reports.

It had been previously reported the cast would perhaps consider a one-off show, but now it's believed a full fifth series is being considered.

The original series ran for four seasons between 1983 and 1989, with each season taking place in a different period of history.

The new season - according to a source of the Sun's - will be set in the "modern day", in which Edmund Blackadder (Atkinson) would be a university lecturer.

According to the Sun, the stars agreed to reboot the series after meeting at London members' club Soho House.

A source said: "They were all having a great laugh and they are all old friends. So they just said, 'Yes, let's do it'. It is being written now. Rowan has been saying he is extremely excited.

"It will be in the modern day. Blackadder will be a lot older, of course, so they've come up with the ageing university lecturer idea."

The source also added: "Curtis and Atkinson have discussed guest appearances from stars such as Tom Hardy and Russell Brand."

© Copyright Original Source

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Disney Afternoon wasn't confined to Disney Channel. Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, et al
                            Oh right. I had forgotten about those.

Seventies would have included The Fox and The Hound - only Disney movie animated movie I really didn't like. The Wall would technically fit. But yeah, none of the studios were doing nearly as much animation then.
                            I don't think I ever actually saw the Fox and the Hound. I mean, I was familiar with it of course, but I just never got around to seeing it. The Wall was a film I rented during my experimental phase.

I only knew one of the three - although I think the second is a second go round for that character.

Most the Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon stuff is unwatchable nowadays. Courage the Cowardly Dog was good but that was ages ago.

Comment

Well, they aired the same shows on ABC as well. TailSpin, DuckTales, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck etc. I only had Disney when I was really young, and much later in life since cable was expensive.
                              Yep, I remember now.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit might have been "PG", but it wasn't exactly a kids movie. Under todays rating it should be at least PG-13.
                              You think? It's been years since I've seen it, but it seemed relatively tame to me. Especially compared to Bakshi's one really bad movie that came out a few years later to capitalize on Roger Rabbit, Cool World. The 80s was a weird period for cinema though. Lots of "PG" films back then allowed for a couple cuss words and suggestive sexuality, and plenty of PG-13 included what would be deemed today as R-rated nudity. So you probably have a point.

I will never understand why some people think of animation as "kids stuff". Just because a show isn't rated R doesn't mean it is "just for kids".
                              That's true. I don't think animation itself implies child-like, and there are plenty of non-R rated animated movies that I appreciate as an adult. I think the stigma comes from the fact that a lot of cartoons intentionally craft their plots, dialogue, music, and artistry to appeal to children first, adults second (if adults are even considered). When I see a bunch of wacky dinosaurs with big eyes and funny voices telling jokes and doing prat falls, I don't think it's a stretch to think that maybe it's not really intended for the most sophisticated of audiences. Not to say that adults can't find it entertaining, but who is the intended audience there?

This topic does sort of lead into a more serious concern of mine about Peter Pan syndrome though, something that I think a lot of adults in the modern age are often unwittingly participating in to some extant (myself included).

That would be Adventure Time for the dog and kid with the white hat. I never really got into it, but I do have to appreciate the animation. Gravity Falls is great, heck even my mom and dad like it. It's not often we get a show all of us enjoy watching.
                              Ah, yeah. Adventure Time. That's the name of it. My brother wouldn't let his girls watch it because he thought it was too out there.
                              Last edited by Adrift; 08-15-2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Mark Hamill is actually a really good voice actor. I mean, he's now the most iconic voice for The Joker for most Batman fans. He's also got a rather wide range of voices too.
                                Yeah, I think it's still a little weird to me that he is now so celebrated for that. Guy had what was essentially a failed career (Slipstream and Guyver weren't exactly runaway hits), he does a stint as Joker on the Batman animated series, a whole generation of kids grow up on it, and he's now legendary for it. I hope he's getting paid some big bucks for it.

Comment