Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Godfather, sequels, cartoons, Dune, James Bond etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    The Expanse is pretty good, and pretty well-cast, from what I remember of the books. Amos is, physically, totally different than he's described, but I think the actor absolutely nails the violent sociopath part, so I can overlook the physical inaccuracies.
    I thought the actor for Amos was a great match. I think the only difference is in the book I believe he is older and balding?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I thought the actor for Amos was a great match. I think the only difference is in the book I believe he is older and balding?
      IIRC, in the books he's described as older, chubby, kind of babyfaced and just generally an ugly guy. But I think the actor is fantastic and probably my favorite part of the show, so I don't mind that.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        IIRC, in the books he's described as older, chubby, kind of babyfaced and just generally an ugly guy. But I think the actor is fantastic and probably my favorite part of the show, so I don't mind that.
        They nailed Alex though. Indian with a Texas accent.

They really couldn't do Naomi right though, she was supposed to be a belter, elongated and skinny.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          Animation is something I've been into since I was little. I still want to see Incredibles 2 since I really liked the first one.
          That's cool. I think I was raised in that period where Disney was trying really hard to make live action films a bigger thing than their animation division, and so it never really stuck with me. I like weird adult cartoons like Fantastic Planet, and Ralph Bakshi's stuff, and when those adult/gory Japanimation films first started getting big in the late 80s and 90s I was into that stuff for a bit (movies like Akira, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell), but unless it's something like The Secret of the Kells, Kubo and the Two Strings, or Persepolis, I don't really go too far out of my way to watch it. I have a coworker who only watches those films though. He's got kids, which makes sense, but his only frame of reference when it comes to film is Pixar animation type stuff. I really liked Wall-E, and the first Incredibles movie, but like I said, the sequel didn't really do it for me.

Comment

I was unable to even get halfway through Dune, the book. So damn boring with all those idiotic names and titles of people.

The Expanse series is a pretty good adaptation of the books. They had to leave some stuff out of course, but the overall plot follows the books pretty close so far.
            Yeah, Dune the book just seemed too rooted in the real world. I seem to remember a scene in the books that described Duke Leto's home on Caladan as looking something like a big Western ranch house or something. That's probably completely off, but that's the image it left in my head. And then Frank Herbert robbed the whole mythos of it's supernatural and mystical overtones too, and that got on my nerves. The things I loved about the film (other than being a major David Lynch nerd) is that the film really runs with the prophetic Messianic concept. Also, I love the costume and set design of that film. Visually, I think it still beats out most films today, even if the storyline isn't as smooth as it should be. Would love to see a director's cut of the film, but that'll never happen. The Syfy TV series was pretty decent as well. Wondering how the movie is going to look as I'm kind "eh" on Denis Villeneuve (I thought his Blade Runner sequel nailed the look and atmosphere, but I wasn't sold on the plot).

I haven't read the books, but I really liked the Expanse TV series. I actually stopped mid-season two because I got lost following all of the plots and characters, but picked up again when I heard it was going to be cancelled and thought it was really well done.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              I have to disagree, I have been a Bond fan since I was a kid in the sixties, and I think Skyfall was the all time best Bond film. And Craig the best Bond.
              Having read the books I think that Craig is unequivalently closest to the way Bond was written. Connery is second.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Yeah, Dune the book just seemed too rooted in the real world. I seem to remember a scene in the books that described Duke Leto's home on Caladan as looking something like a big Western ranch house or something. That's probably completely off, but that's the image it left in my head. And then Frank Herbert robbed the whole mythos of it's supernatural and mystical overtones too, and that got on my nerves. The things I loved about the film (other than being a major David Lynch nerd) is that the film really runs with the prophetic Messianic concept. Also, I love the costume and set design of that film. Visually, I think it still beats out most films today, even if the storyline isn't as smooth as it should be. Would love to see a director's cut of the film, but that'll never happen. The Syfy TV series was pretty decent as well. Wondering how the movie is going to look as I'm kind "eh" on Denis Villeneuve (I thought his Blade Runner sequel nailed the look and atmosphere, but I wasn't sold on the plot).

I haven't read the books, but I really liked the Expanse TV series. I actually stopped mid-season two because I got lost following all of the plots and characters, but picked up again when I heard it was going to be cancelled and thought it was really well done.
                I have been listening to the audiobooks from Audible. They are really well done. I don't seem to have much time to read books any more so I listen to audiobooks in the car. If you want me to send it to you PM me your email address. Audible lets you send one book to anyone who has not received one before.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Having read the books I think that Craig is unequivalently closest to the way Bond was written. Connery is second.
                  I never read the books, Craig just seems more real and rugged - who can cross over to the suave side when necessary.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    I never read the books, Craig just seems more real and rugged - who can cross over to the suave side when necessary.
                    In the books when Bond enters a room everyone instinctively realizes that a shark has just swam into the lagoon. Just by watching how he moves and acts you know that this is a very dangerous person. Still, he can and usually is very charming and refined as well as well educated.

What he wasn't was a smug buffoon who's always smirking and letting loose with a series of one-liners. IOW, Roger Moore as Bond.

That being said I enjoyed most of the Bond movies with Moore it's just that his version was nothing like James Bond. It was The Saint but now working for the government.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post

Dune seemed to me like Herbert wanted to be Tolkien - by imitating The Hobbit.

I don't CARE what the moss on the tree looks like!!!! It should not take four pages to describe one little glen that the characters have a conversation in!!!!!

He also wanted to be Heinlein - let's see how much useless junk we can stuff around a plot to sound intellectual and cool...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Dune seemed to me like Herbert wanted to be Tolkien - by imitating The Hobbit.

I don't CARE what the moss on the tree looks like!!!! It should not take four pages to describe one little glen that the characters have a conversation in!!!!!

He also wanted to be Heinlein - let's see how much useless junk we can stuff around a plot to sound intellectual and cool...

Not sure there were a whole lot of trees on Arrakis (which was popularly known as "Dune" because it was, you know, a desert planet). In fact IIRC they noted that having a plant of any sort was considered an exorbitant luxury and display of wealth since you could afford to "waste" water on it.

That said, I for one enjoyed how he established a full working society and culture that actually made sense and was an intrical part of the story rather than just some two dimensional back drop.

Comment

Not sure there were a whole lot of trees on Arrakis (which was popularly known as "Dune" because it was, you know, a desert planet). In fact IIRC they noted that having a plant of any sort was considered an exorbitant luxury and display of wealth since you could afford to "waste" water on it.

That said, I for one enjoyed how he established a full working society and culture that actually made sense and was an intrical part of the story rather than just some two dimensional back drop.
                          The Hobbit

Eh, I liked parts of Dune - but he did spend a lot of time in the proverbial weeds, which was what I was getting at.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            The Hobbit

Eh, I liked parts of Dune - but he did spend a lot of time in the proverbial weeds, which was what I was getting at.
                            The high level of detail is what made the setting "real" rather than merely a cardboard backdrop

Now if you want a book with a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of useless detail, try reading Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros. He literally spent several pages describing in excruciating detail what the main characters were wearing while attending some function

Comment

In the books when Bond enters a room everyone instinctively realizes that a shark has just swam into the lagoon. Just by watching how he moves and acts you know that this is a very dangerous person. Still, he can and usually is very charming and refined as well as well educated.

What he wasn't was a smug buffoon who's always smirking and letting loose with a series of one-liners. IOW, Roger Moore as Bond.

That being said I enjoyed most of the Bond movies with Moore it's just that his version was nothing like James Bond. It was The Saint but now working for the government.
                              Seems like a bit of a weakness for a spy to walk into a room and put everyone on alert.

Comment

Seems like a bit of a weakness for a spy to walk into a room and put everyone on alert.
                                You didn't know if he was a spy. He could be some high level criminal or even someone's body guard. The only thing you knew is that this was someone you shouldn't muck around with.

Comment