Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

The more I try to be good the more I see how I am not. I also see how I have changed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more I try to be good the more I see how I am not. I also see how I have changed.

I am both inspired and distressed sometimes when I think about all of this I could use a hug. I want to help folks.
    sigpic

Just follow His example.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
      The more I try to be good the more I see how I am not
      Which is why we need Jesus and be thankful that His grace comes without conditions (aside from accepting it).

Anywho...

Last edited by rogue06; 08-16-2019, 05:27 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have a friend in the ministry who loves to brag "I give better hugs because I use deodorant".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

By the way, when you say "The more I try to be good the more I see how I am not", you're in pretty good company.

Scripture Verse: Romans 7

13 Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. 15 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

© Copyright Original Source

Who will deliver you from this, little brother? The same Jesus Christ our Lord who delivered Paul.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            By the way, when you say "The more I try to be good the more I see how I am not", you're in pretty good company.

Scripture Verse: Romans 7

13 Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. 15 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

© Copyright Original Source

Who will deliver you from this, little brother? The same Jesus Christ our Lord who delivered Paul.
            Yup. I know all too well just how much I don't deserve His grace so for several years I tried to make myself more worthy -- and continued to fail miserably. Finally I admitted to myself what I already knew, that I'd never be worthy and asked Jesus to save me. Well, go figure, since then I have become a better person (still have a LONG ways to go). What I failed so badly at on my own I am doing better at with His help.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Yup. I know all too well just how much I don't deserve His grace so for several years I tried to make myself more worthy -- and continued to fail miserably. Finally I admitted to myself what I already knew, that I'd never be worthy and asked Jesus to save me. Well, go figure, since then I have become a better person (still have a LONG ways to go). What I failed so badly at on my own I am doing better at with His help.
              One thing that I heard long ago that has really helped me is this simple little couplet....

The devil will always minimize the sin to get you to do it
              Then he'll maximize it when you've done it to keep you in chains

( or something to that effect - go with the intent, rather than the wording )

Comment

"That is why the Christian is in a different position from other people who are trying to he good. They hope, by being good, to please God if there is one; or—if they think there is not—at least they hope to deserve approval from good men. But the Christian thinks any good he does comes from the Christ-life inside him. He does not think God will love us because we arc good, but that God will make us good because He loves us..." (C.S. Lewis)

"Oh! look not after great things: small breathings, small desires after the Lord, if true and pure, are sweet beginnings of life. You must become a child, you must lose your own will quite by degrees. You must wait for life to be measured out by the Father, and be content with what proportion, and at what time, He shall please to measure. Oh! be little, be little, and then you will be content with little; and if you feel now and then a check or a secret smiting, in that is the Father's love; be not over wise, nor over eager in your own willing, running, and desiring, and by degrees come to the knowledge of your Guide, who will lead you step by step in the path of life, and teach you to follow, and in His own season powerfully judge that which cannot nor will not follow. Be still, and wait for light and strength." (Isaac Penington)

Blessing and grace and a ,

Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment