Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nero Became Demon Possessed After Paul's Testimony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
    Whether he was demon possessed or not Nero had a particular skill in killing people in cruel and unusual ways. His name can also be 666. Honestly, this guy is one of the scariest historical figures that I know. I still think Czar ivan might be a little more terrifying.
    He's right up there with some other extremist nutjobs I never want to meet.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      He's right up there with some other extremist nutjobs I never want to meet.
      I think it's unlikely you will be meeting him in the New Jerusalem.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        The second one being when 2 Timothy was probably written? (Since it appears a lot more pessimistic about his situation on earth).
        I think that's the conventional wisdom.... though I realize I got most of my training from conservative biblical sources.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I think it's unlikely you will be meeting him in the New Jerusalem.
          Amen and Amen!

Comment

By the way, thanks for the serious responses -- let's PLEASE not let this go to spam or goofy nonsense, OK?
            What?!? And defy the Tweb tradition?

Well... I guess we can wait a little while before spamming smiley mad.gif

Seriously though, the early part of his reign was pretty stable, whether that was due to the influence of his mother and advisors is unknown but he did start deteriorating rapidly after their deaths.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I dunno - when 'kill Mommy' is on your To Do list, you are probably already pretty far gone.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                I dunno - when 'kill Mommy' is on your To Do list, you are probably already pretty far gone.
                But that was about 62 AD - about the same time Paul was in prison in Rome.

Comment

But that was about 62 AD - about the same time Paul was in prison in Rome.
                  OK, maybe I got that wrong - he killed mommy in 59, so....

Comment

OK, maybe I got that wrong - he killed mommy in 59, so....
                    The fact he had her killed kinda indicates there was a problem before her death. Doesn't eliminate the hypothesis, however. Some people will descend quickly - others slowly. He could have been on slow descent - killing Mommy might well have sped it up.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The fact he had her killed kinda indicates there was a problem before her death. Doesn't eliminate the hypothesis, however. Some people will descend quickly - others slowly. He could have been on slow descent - killing Mommy might well have sped it up.
                      Yeah, nobody ever said he was a good boy.

Comment

Killing off relatives, even close ones, was not exactly something new or unique with Nero. IIRC, it was something his mother did fairly regularly.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I've read somewhere that he seemed to go off the rails around the time of the death of Seneca, who was one of his chief advisors.
                          IF his unhinging lines up roughly with the death of Seneca, and with a clash with Paul, it could be that Seneca was a moderating influence and Nero blamed Paul, and therefore Christians in some way for his death (we're not dealing with the most stable of people in Nero)
                          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Weren't most of the Caesars insane?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Weren't most of the Caesars insane?
                              Nero, yes. Caligula, yes. "Most" is overstating things quite a bit.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Nero, yes. Caligula, yes. "Most" is overstating things quite a bit.
                                I read an article some time back which made a pretty good case that Caligula wasn't nearly as crazy as he was portrayed. Debauched and depraved, without a doubt? But insane... maybe not so much.

For instance one of the primary examples put forth to illustrate his insanity is that Caligula made his favorite horse, Incitatus, a Roman Senator and even proposed making him a consul.

The story is regarded by some to be fictitious political propaganda of the time but even if true it very well could have been Caligula mocking and ridiculing his political adversaries (principally the Senate).

Comment