Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nero Became Demon Possessed After Paul's Testimony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nero Became Demon Possessed After Paul's Testimony?

I'm listening to a commentary by Chuck Smith on Philippians 1.

Chuck makes a comment about Paul's first appearance before Nero, in which Paul was set free, then a subsequent appearance 2 years later, where Paul was martyred.

He didn't say it exactly like that, but that's not the point....

He suggests that, following Paul's presentation of the Gospel in his defense before Nero, Nero became a "mad man". That PRIOR to this, Nero was a fairly decent ruler.

I've just googled some sources that tend to agree that there was a drastic change in Nero, but they attribute it more to the death of his mother, or the death of Agrippa, or some other event.

Comments?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Supernatural intervention would explain why Nero took such an interest in a small religious group that should not have seemed to be that much of a threat to the order of the empire.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I'm listening to a commentary by Chuck Smith on Philippians 1.

Chuck makes a comment about Paul's first appearance before Nero, in which Paul was set free, then a subsequent appearance 2 years later, where Paul was martyred.

He didn't say it exactly like that, but that's not the point....

He suggests that, following Paul's presentation of the Gospel in his defense before Nero, Nero became a "mad man". That PRIOR to this, Nero was a fairly decent ruler.

I've just googled some sources that tend to agree that there was a drastic change in Nero, but they attribute it more to the death of his mother, or the death of Agrippa, or some other event.

Comments?
      I've read somewhere that he seemed to go off the rails around the time of the death of Seneca, who was one of his chief advisors.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I've read somewhere that he seemed to go off the rails around the time of the death of Seneca, who was one of his chief advisors.
        Would the timing of that be near Paul's first trial, I wonder?

ETA: Not his FIRST trial - his first appearance before Nero at Rome.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Supernatural intervention would explain why Nero took such an interest in a small religious group that should not have seemed to be that much of a threat to the order of the empire.
          Chuck is suggesting that Nero had the Gospel presented to him in such a powerful way, but because he was all about "Nero is Emperor supreme", it only enraged him as he thought about it, and literally drove him mad. Possibly even demon possessed.

Comment

By the way, thanks for the serious responses -- let's PLEASE not let this go to spam or goofy nonsense, OK?

Comment

Chuck is suggesting that Nero had the Gospel presented to him in such a powerful way, but because he was all about "Nero is Emperor supreme", it only enraged him as he thought about it, and literally drove him mad. Possibly even demon possessed.
              Is part of his argument based on the strong impact that Paul's gospel presentation had on Felix?
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Is part of his argument based on the strong impact that Paul's gospel presentation had on Felix?
                He seems to focus more on --- paraphrasing --- "I finally have an opportunity to speak to CAESAR - imagine if CAESAR became a Christian", and that Paul put everything he had into that presentation - more than ever before....

Sure, supposition on Smith's part, but not unreasonable.

Comment

Is it a common orthodox belief that Paul in fact faced Nero two times? Personally, I believe it to be true, but from what I remember in my apologetic days it's a pretty controversial idea and I didn't think it was that common in Christian circles.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    Is it a common orthodox belief that Paul in fact faced Nero two times? Personally, I believe it to be true, but it's pretty controversial idea and I didn't think it was that common in Christian circles.
                    Hmmmm.... I don't think I've ever run into anybody who has disputed two trials or hearings before Nero. Apparently, it's pretty common in MY circles.

But that's why I like to ask.

Comment

Is it a common orthodox belief that Paul in fact faced Nero two times? Personally, I believe it to be true, but from what I remember in my apologetic days it's a pretty controversial idea and I didn't think it was that common in Christian circles.
                      Been checking into that, and found this...

During Paul’s first imprisonment, he awaited trial before Roman governors Felix and Festus (Acts 24–26). He then was under house arrest in Rome for two years (28:30), awaiting an appearance before Nero. Scholars believe Paul was released sometime in AD 62 because the Jews who had accused him of being “a real pest and a fellow who stirs up dissension” (24:5) didn’t press their case before the emperor. However, during Paul’s second imprisonment in the Mamertine dungeon, he had apparently received a preliminary hearing and was awaiting a final trial (2 Timothy 4:16). He didn’t expect acquittal; he expected to be found guilty, in all likelihood, for hating humankind. From there, Paul believed only his execution would be left (4:6–7), which was probably carried out in AD 68.3

It triggered a memory from Seminary WAY back in the day.... one of the points being that Paul's imprisonment in Rome was 'house arrest' where he was allowed to rent his own quarters, but the second imprisonment was not so cushy.

Comment

Been checking into that, and found this...

During Paul’s first imprisonment, he awaited trial before Roman governors Felix and Festus (Acts 24–26). He then was under house arrest in Rome for two years (28:30), awaiting an appearance before Nero. Scholars believe Paul was released sometime in AD 62 because the Jews who had accused him of being “a real pest and a fellow who stirs up dissension” (24:5) didn’t press their case before the emperor. However, during Paul’s second imprisonment in the Mamertine dungeon, he had apparently received a preliminary hearing and was awaiting a final trial (2 Timothy 4:16). He didn’t expect acquittal; he expected to be found guilty, in all likelihood, for hating humankind. From there, Paul believed only his execution would be left (4:6–7), which was probably carried out in AD 68.3

It triggered a memory from Seminary WAY back in the day.... one of the points being that Paul's imprisonment in Rome was 'house arrest' where he was allowed to rent his own quarters, but the second imprisonment was not so cushy.
                        Maybe I'm getting this confused with the other side. Skeptics definitely discount this idea and believe that Paul's first imprisonment was his final, so I'm probably mixing the two up. It's been awhile.

Comment

Maybe I'm getting this confused with the other side. Skeptics definitely discount this idea and believe that Paul's first imprisonment was his final, so I'm probably mixing the two up. It's been awhile.
                          Yeah, it's been ... 40+ years? ... for me.

“after defending himself successfully, it is currently reported that the Apostle again went forth to proclaim the Gospel, and afterwards came to Rome a second time, and was martyred under Nero.”

(Eusebius, Historia Ecclesiastica, 2.22).

Comment

Whether he was demon possessed or not Nero had a particular skill in killing people in cruel and unusual ways. His name can also be 666. Honestly, this guy is one of the scariest historical figures that I know. I still think Czar ivan might be a little more terrifying.
                            sigpic

Comment

The second one being when 2 Timothy was probably written? (Since it appears a lot more pessimistic about his situation on earth).

Comment