Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Nero Became Demon Possessed After Paul's Testimony?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Lead poisoning? Oh yeah! The Romans would drink wine out of lead bowls. Didn't turn out so good. Anyways, what would go through Nero's mind at the final Judgement? Oh *insert Latin curse word* ?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    No, but it would explain a sudden change in character.
    There are any number of things that can explain that as well. To me, demon possession is such an "out there" hypothesis that it's not even worth considering.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Lead poisoning? Oh yeah! The Romans would drink wine out of lead bowls. Didn't turn out so good. Anyways, what would go through Nero's mind at the final Judgement? Oh *insert Latin curse word* ?
    Rome used lead pipes for plumbing and actually sweetened wine with white lead, as well.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Rome used lead pipes for plumbing and actually sweetened wine with white lead, as well.
    Humans are stupid. Why does God care about us? We act so dumb! And I bet some fundy atheist will complain that God did not baby proof the Universe for us. Human proof? Is that even possible?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    More of a problem is that they would have private taps into the water coming into the city through the aqueducts which were often lead pipes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    There are any number of things that can explain that as well. To me, demon possession is such an "out there" hypothesis that it's not even worth considering.
    Yes, but you have to consider that this is what Mike Licona would call a "religiously charged context".
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Having said that I agree there is no firm evidence this is what happened. This is nothing more than speculation.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

9. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    That would be the difference. I don't consider demon possession to be an out there hypothesis.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

11. Amen Teallaura, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Humans are stupid. Why does God care about us? We act so dumb! And I bet some fundy atheist will complain that God did not baby proof the Universe for us. Human proof? Is that even possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    More of a problem is that they would have private taps into the water coming into the city through the aqueducts which were often lead pipes.
    To be fair, they did not know lead was poisonous - it's just one heck of a lot easier to work with, plentiful and tastes sweet.

Remember Marie Curie - no one's idea of dumb - carried radium around in glass vials all the time. She simply had no way to know until it was too late.

Sure, humans come mostly in size stupid (sometimes extra stupid ) but simply not knowing something isn't stupidity.

13. Amen Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    That would be the difference. I don't consider demon possession to be an out there hypothesis.
    Yeah - I'm unsure that we can point to an exact diagnosis this late in history, but demon possession isn't off the table. If we had evidence about how the Gospel affected him - if he really did hear it - then this might well be.

I just think Satan is lazy so lead would be my first guess - IF he really had some intervening factor and wasn't just a nut with the reins off.