Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nero Became Demon Possessed After Paul's Testimony?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Nero Became Demon Possessed After Paul's Testimony?

I'm listening to a commentary by Chuck Smith on Philippians 1.

Chuck makes a comment about Paul's first appearance before Nero, in which Paul was set free, then a subsequent appearance 2 years later, where Paul was martyred.

He didn't say it exactly like that, but that's not the point....

He suggests that, following Paul's presentation of the Gospel in his defense before Nero, Nero became a "mad man". That PRIOR to this, Nero was a fairly decent ruler.

I've just googled some sources that tend to agree that there was a drastic change in Nero, but they attribute it more to the death of his mother, or the death of Agrippa, or some other event.

Comments?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Supernatural intervention would explain why Nero took such an interest in a small religious group that should not have seemed to be that much of a threat to the order of the empire.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

3. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm listening to a commentary by Chuck Smith on Philippians 1.

Chuck makes a comment about Paul's first appearance before Nero, in which Paul was set free, then a subsequent appearance 2 years later, where Paul was martyred.

He didn't say it exactly like that, but that's not the point....

He suggests that, following Paul's presentation of the Gospel in his defense before Nero, Nero became a "mad man". That PRIOR to this, Nero was a fairly decent ruler.

I've just googled some sources that tend to agree that there was a drastic change in Nero, but they attribute it more to the death of his mother, or the death of Agrippa, or some other event.

Comments?
    I've read somewhere that he seemed to go off the rails around the time of the death of Seneca, who was one of his chief advisors.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

5. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I've read somewhere that he seemed to go off the rails around the time of the death of Seneca, who was one of his chief advisors.
    Would the timing of that be near Paul's first trial, I wonder?

ETA: Not his FIRST trial - his first appearance before Nero at Rome.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Supernatural intervention would explain why Nero took such an interest in a small religious group that should not have seemed to be that much of a threat to the order of the empire.
    Chuck is suggesting that Nero had the Gospel presented to him in such a powerful way, but because he was all about "Nero is Emperor supreme", it only enraged him as he thought about it, and literally drove him mad. Possibly even demon possessed.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    By the way, thanks for the serious responses -- let's PLEASE not let this go to spam or goofy nonsense, OK?

9. Amen Raphael amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Chuck is suggesting that Nero had the Gospel presented to him in such a powerful way, but because he was all about "Nero is Emperor supreme", it only enraged him as he thought about it, and literally drove him mad. Possibly even demon possessed.
    Is part of his argument based on the strong impact that Paul's gospel presentation had on Felix?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

11. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Is part of his argument based on the strong impact that Paul's gospel presentation had on Felix?
    He seems to focus more on --- paraphrasing --- "I finally have an opportunity to speak to CAESAR - imagine if CAESAR became a Christian", and that Paul put everything he had into that presentation - more than ever before....

Sure, supposition on Smith's part, but not unreasonable.

13. Amen KingsGambit, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Is it a common orthodox belief that Paul in fact faced Nero two times? Personally, I believe it to be true, but from what I remember in my apologetic days it's a pretty controversial idea and I didn't think it was that common in Christian circles.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Is it a common orthodox belief that Paul in fact faced Nero two times? Personally, I believe it to be true, but it's pretty controversial idea and I didn't think it was that common in Christian circles.
    Hmmmm.... I don't think I've ever run into anybody who has disputed two trials or hearings before Nero. Apparently, it's pretty common in MY circles.

But that's why I like to ask.