Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 118

Thread: Nero Became Demon Possessed After Paul's Testimony?

  1. #1
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,780
    Amen (Given)
    14533
    Amen (Received)
    29513

    Nero Became Demon Possessed After Paul's Testimony?

    I'm listening to a commentary by Chuck Smith on Philippians 1.

    Chuck makes a comment about Paul's first appearance before Nero, in which Paul was set free, then a subsequent appearance 2 years later, where Paul was martyred.

    He didn't say it exactly like that, but that's not the point....

    He suggests that, following Paul's presentation of the Gospel in his defense before Nero, Nero became a "mad man". That PRIOR to this, Nero was a fairly decent ruler.

    I've just googled some sources that tend to agree that there was a drastic change in Nero, but they attribute it more to the death of his mother, or the death of Agrippa, or some other event.

    Comments?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  2. #2
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,595
    Amen (Given)
    1896
    Amen (Received)
    5068
    Supernatural intervention would explain why Nero took such an interest in a small religious group that should not have seemed to be that much of a threat to the order of the empire.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

  3. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  4. #3
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    62,576
    Amen (Given)
    1254
    Amen (Received)
    22465
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm listening to a commentary by Chuck Smith on Philippians 1.

    Chuck makes a comment about Paul's first appearance before Nero, in which Paul was set free, then a subsequent appearance 2 years later, where Paul was martyred.

    He didn't say it exactly like that, but that's not the point....

    He suggests that, following Paul's presentation of the Gospel in his defense before Nero, Nero became a "mad man". That PRIOR to this, Nero was a fairly decent ruler.

    I've just googled some sources that tend to agree that there was a drastic change in Nero, but they attribute it more to the death of his mother, or the death of Agrippa, or some other event.

    Comments?
    I've read somewhere that he seemed to go off the rails around the time of the death of Seneca, who was one of his chief advisors.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  5. Amen Teallaura, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
  6. #4
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,780
    Amen (Given)
    14533
    Amen (Received)
    29513
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I've read somewhere that he seemed to go off the rails around the time of the death of Seneca, who was one of his chief advisors.
    Would the timing of that be near Paul's first trial, I wonder?

    ETA: Not his FIRST trial - his first appearance before Nero at Rome.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  7. #5
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,780
    Amen (Given)
    14533
    Amen (Received)
    29513
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Supernatural intervention would explain why Nero took such an interest in a small religious group that should not have seemed to be that much of a threat to the order of the empire.
    Chuck is suggesting that Nero had the Gospel presented to him in such a powerful way, but because he was all about "Nero is Emperor supreme", it only enraged him as he thought about it, and literally drove him mad. Possibly even demon possessed.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  8. #6
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,780
    Amen (Given)
    14533
    Amen (Received)
    29513
    By the way, thanks for the serious responses -- let's PLEASE not let this go to spam or goofy nonsense, OK?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  9. Amen Raphael amen'd this post.
  10. #7
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,595
    Amen (Given)
    1896
    Amen (Received)
    5068
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Chuck is suggesting that Nero had the Gospel presented to him in such a powerful way, but because he was all about "Nero is Emperor supreme", it only enraged him as he thought about it, and literally drove him mad. Possibly even demon possessed.
    Is part of his argument based on the strong impact that Paul's gospel presentation had on Felix?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

  11. Amen Teallaura, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
  12. #8
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,780
    Amen (Given)
    14533
    Amen (Received)
    29513
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Is part of his argument based on the strong impact that Paul's gospel presentation had on Felix?
    He seems to focus more on --- paraphrasing --- "I finally have an opportunity to speak to CAESAR - imagine if CAESAR became a Christian", and that Paul put everything he had into that presentation - more than ever before....

    Sure, supposition on Smith's part, but not unreasonable.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  13. Amen KingsGambit, Teallaura, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
  14. #9
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,190
    Amen (Given)
    408
    Amen (Received)
    1514
    Is it a common orthodox belief that Paul in fact faced Nero two times? Personally, I believe it to be true, but from what I remember in my apologetic days it's a pretty controversial idea and I didn't think it was that common in Christian circles.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

  15. #10
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,780
    Amen (Given)
    14533
    Amen (Received)
    29513
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Is it a common orthodox belief that Paul in fact faced Nero two times? Personally, I believe it to be true, but it's pretty controversial idea and I didn't think it was that common in Christian circles.
    Hmmmm.... I don't think I've ever run into anybody who has disputed two trials or hearings before Nero. Apparently, it's pretty common in MY circles.

    But that's why I like to ask.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  16. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •