Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Team Rugged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Rugged?

Does anybody here know anything about this "Team Rugged" group that a Washington state Rep. has been linked to? Reportedly it seeks to train children for a "holy war" and may have anti-Semitic connections. Given that most reporters don't get religion at all, I wanted to see if anybody here knows more about this group that is not reflected in this article, but I'll say from the outset that this doesn't look good.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...t-in-holy-war/

Yes, I'm intentionally starting this thread here and not in Civics.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I see no reason to avoid mentioning that the Rep's name is Matt Shea, given that virtually all Google hits related to "Team Rugged" refer to his association with them, and that his Wikipedia page contains a plethora of concerning facts and allegations about him.

If that page is mostly or even significantly accurate, it would seem to justify concerns about Team Rugged.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

demi is surprised, why so concerned? Antifa much much worse, militarised Christians to that is like weak reaction to action.

Or is problem cos this militia trains youths??
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Wow. The theological flags are really going up on this one...
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I read a couple articles - the SPLC was cited in both which does not improve the article's credibility for me.

Facebook page was taken down.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I am getting use to a whole bunch of groups being called Christian that really shouldn't be. This has probably been since the beginning of Christianity. I remember it since Jim Jones and the Branch Davidaians. Regrettfully this will be used to smear all Christians.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                I am getting use to a whole bunch of groups being called Christian that really shouldn't be. This has probably been since the beginning of Christianity. I remember it since Jim Jones and the Branch Davidaians. Regrettfully this will be used to smear all Christians.
                Jones would have been the first to tell anyone he wasn't a Christian. Heck he wasn't even a theist. The Wikipedia entry on him accurately describes him as a "civil rights preacher." And from that article:

By the early 1970s, Jones began deriding Christianity as "fly away religion", rejecting the Bible as being a tool to oppress women and non-whites, and denouncing a "Sky God" who was no God at all.[16] He wrote a booklet titled "The Letter Killeth", criticizing the King James Bible.[43] Jones also began preaching that he was the reincarnation of Gandhi, Father Divine, Jesus, Gautama Buddha, and Vladimir Lenin. Former Temple member Hue Fortson, Jr. quoted him as saying, "What you need to believe in is what you can see…. If you see me as your friend, I'll be your friend. As you see me as your father, I'll be your father, for those of you that don't have a father…. If you see me as your savior, I'll be your savior. If you see me as your God, I'll be your God."[11]

In a 1976 phone conversation with John Maher, Jones alternately stated that he was an agnostic and an atheist.[44] Marceline Jones admitted in a 1977 New York Times interview that Jones was trying to promote Marxism in the U.S. by mobilizing people through religion, citing Mao as his inspiration.[40] She stated: "Jim used religion to try to get some people out of the opiate of religion". He had slammed the Bible on the table yelling "I've got to destroy this paper idol!"[40] In one sermon, Jones said, "You're gonna help yourself, or you'll get no help! There's only one hope of glory; that's within you! Nobody's gonna come out of the sky! There's no heaven up there! We'll have to make heaven down here!"[11]

He was an openly Marxist-Leninist atheist.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Jones would have been the first to tell anyone he wasn't a Christian. Heck he wasn't even a theist. The Wikipedia entry on him accurately describes him as a "civil rights preacher." And from that article:

By the early 1970s, Jones began deriding Christianity as "fly away religion", rejecting the Bible as being a tool to oppress women and non-whites, and denouncing a "Sky God" who was no God at all.[16] He wrote a booklet titled "The Letter Killeth", criticizing the King James Bible.[43] Jones also began preaching that he was the reincarnation of Gandhi, Father Divine, Jesus, Gautama Buddha, and Vladimir Lenin. Former Temple member Hue Fortson, Jr. quoted him as saying, "What you need to believe in is what you can see…. If you see me as your friend, I'll be your friend. As you see me as your father, I'll be your father, for those of you that don't have a father…. If you see me as your savior, I'll be your savior. If you see me as your God, I'll be your God."[11]

In a 1976 phone conversation with John Maher, Jones alternately stated that he was an agnostic and an atheist.[44] Marceline Jones admitted in a 1977 New York Times interview that Jones was trying to promote Marxism in the U.S. by mobilizing people through religion, citing Mao as his inspiration.[40] She stated: "Jim used religion to try to get some people out of the opiate of religion". He had slammed the Bible on the table yelling "I've got to destroy this paper idol!"[40] In one sermon, Jones said, "You're gonna help yourself, or you'll get no help! There's only one hope of glory; that's within you! Nobody's gonna come out of the sky! There's no heaven up there! We'll have to make heaven down here!"[11]

He was an openly Marxist-Leninist atheist.
                  Was he ever a Bible teacher? I thought he started out as one, then really weirded out.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Was he ever a Bible teacher? I thought he started out as one, then really weirded out.
                    That's what the movie showed but it's debated. Wikipedia doesn't support it - although he sought the pulpit with the Methodist church the Wiki article states he was attempting to infiltrate it.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The teen study Bible my church youth group used 20 years claimed that he was genuinely convinced he was the Messiah.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        The teen study Bible my church youth group used 20 years claimed that he was genuinely convinced he was the Messiah.
                        Who, Jones?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Who, Jones?
                          Yes.

But I'd like to get the thread back on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Yes.

But I'd like to get the thread back on topic.
                            Okay - but FYI other sources say he wasn't. More an adherent of Marx than the Bible.

About the other, I couldn't find any info. I'm dubious of anything put out by the SPLC but I have no real knowledge of the group so...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              From National Review:
                              Source: The Unburied Truth About Jim Jones

An atheist, Jones cleverly realized, quite early on, that religion could serve as a vehicle to attract followers to his social-justice views and his “church.” Masquerading as a Christian preacher, he ultimately founded the People’s Temple, which grew substantially thanks to followers’ donations. Jones would later readily admit that he asked himself what would be the best method to spread Marxism and decided on doing so by infiltrating Christians and preaching Marxism disguised as religion. In a 1977 New York Times interview, his wife reportedly admitted that Jones was promoting Marxism by mobilizing people via religion, and that he referred to the Bible as a paper idol he must destroy.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

He claims to have become an atheist when he was young, after the death of his mother: "I was an atheist even then, and at that funeral parlor they held me up to look at her, and when I got down, I was bitter." Major language warning for this link. Jones had a foul mouth.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment