Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Team Rugged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    From National Review:
    Source: The Unburied Truth About Jim Jones

An atheist, Jones cleverly realized, quite early on, that religion could serve as a vehicle to attract followers to his social-justice views and his “church.” Masquerading as a Christian preacher, he ultimately founded the People’s Temple, which grew substantially thanks to followers’ donations. Jones would later readily admit that he asked himself what would be the best method to spread Marxism and decided on doing so by infiltrating Christians and preaching Marxism disguised as religion. In a 1977 New York Times interview, his wife reportedly admitted that Jones was promoting Marxism by mobilizing people via religion, and that he referred to the Bible as a paper idol he must destroy.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

He claims to have become an atheist when he was young, after the death of his mother: "I was an atheist even then, and at that funeral parlor they held me up to look at her, and when I got down, I was bitter." Major language warning for this link. Jones had a foul mouth.
    Ah, so a FAKE preacher!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Okay - but FYI other sources say he wasn't. More an adherent of Marx than the Bible.

About the other, I couldn't find any info. I'm dubious of anything put out by the SPLC but I have no real knowledge of the group so...
      I think you're getting overly hung up on incidental mentions of the SPLC when the initial source of the controversy was a primary source document from the group itself.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        when the initial source of the controversy was a primary source document from the group itself.
        Where to read?
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

I think you're getting overly hung up on incidental mentions of the SPLC when the initial source of the controversy was a primary source document from the group itself.
          A discredited source is a bad source. SPLC has been discredited for decades - frankly, I don't understand anyone giving them credence now.

Knowingly using a discredited source brings the article's research into question. Couple that with anonymously leaked emails - yeah, we need some more substance here.

I reserve judgment because I don't have enough to work with yet.
          Last edited by Teallaura; 08-18-2019, 02:03 PM.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            A discredited source is a bad source. SPLC has been discredited for decades - frankly, I don't understand anyone giving them credence now.
            I'll guess it's because they pretty much label anyone who they disagree with a hate group which is useful to liberals.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This is extremely frustrating. I asked if anybody here had heard of this and everybody is getting hung up on the fact that an article I used to illustrate context happened to mention the SPLC. It's like when somebody writes a very long post, happens to mention Wikipedia once, and the only reply is "hurr durr anybody can edit Wikipedia" and ignores the entire rest of the post.

Just ignore the part of the article that mentions SPLC if it makes you feel better.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

This is extremely frustrating. I asked if anybody here had heard of this and everybody is getting hung up on the fact that an article I used to illustrate context happened to mention the SPLC. It's like when somebody writes a very long post, happens to mention Wikipedia once, and the only reply is "hurr durr anybody can edit Wikipedia" and ignores the entire rest of the post.

Just ignore the part of the article that mentions SPLC if it makes you feel better.
                I could not have been any more honest in my post #2.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What part of 'I don't know' doesn't answer your question? I don't know and I have reason to question the article (question, not doubt). What research I did online didn't turn up anything useful - just another cookie cutter article and a downed FB page.

Maybe they're insurrectionists - maybe they are taking the whole Armor of God thing and paintball guns and running with it. Using the more militaristic language of the Bible has been used to better appeal to men - who for some weird reason aren't interested in whether or not the parlor needs new doilies - but without actually being heretical. I don't have enough to work from and I do have reason to question the article.

Sheesh...
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

You have a point so I took another look at the article. It's obviously very biased against whatever Team Rugged is. Assuming that the positions of the group are represented accurately, I agree with a previous post about theological flags going up. It's not a group I would get involved with.

To answer your original question, I never heard of them. However I live across the country from Seattle so it's not very likely I would have.

For me, an article like this raises the question on how should a Christian respond when the society around him turns hostile. While the guy in the article doesn't have the correct answer, I'm not sure what the correct response is.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I block ads, so I am unable to read the actual article. I can only comment on what I can find via other sources, which is not much.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Every now, also then, article on fake problem, not real problem.

Comment

I asked a Facebook friend who lives in the Pacific NW. She's never heard of the group. She pointed me to this article in the Spokane Spokesman-Review. It does cite the SPLC, but only in regard to one specific point about "Pastor Weaver," AFAICT. The article's embedded link to an off-site article about Weaver shows him to be unambiguously loony. It too cites the SPLC, but again, only on one item of looniness.

IMO, it's becoming more likely that the group is a bunch of wackadoodles.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            Like relic of hundred years old.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              The article's embedded link to an off-site article about Weaver shows him to be unambiguously loony. It too cites the SPLC, but again, only on one item of looniness.

Be fair, this must be what he learnt as child. Normal 50 years ago.

Comment

I found this video of Shea and Team Rugged.

https://www.facebook.com/mattsheawa/...3318946874340/

Comment