Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Rugged?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Team Rugged?

Does anybody here know anything about this "Team Rugged" group that a Washington state Rep. has been linked to? Reportedly it seeks to train children for a "holy war" and may have anti-Semitic connections. Given that most reporters don't get religion at all, I wanted to see if anybody here knows more about this group that is not reflected in this article, but I'll say from the outset that this doesn't look good.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...t-in-holy-war/

Yes, I'm intentionally starting this thread here and not in Civics.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I see no reason to avoid mentioning that the Rep's name is Matt Shea, given that virtually all Google hits related to "Team Rugged" refer to his association with them, and that his Wikipedia page contains a plethora of concerning facts and allegations about him.

If that page is mostly or even significantly accurate, it would seem to justify concerns about Team Rugged.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    demi is surprised, why so concerned? Antifa much much worse, militarised Christians to that is like weak reaction to action.

Or is problem cos this militia trains youths??
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wow. The theological flags are really going up on this one...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I read a couple articles - the SPLC was cited in both which does not improve the article's credibility for me.

Facebook page was taken down.

7. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am getting use to a whole bunch of groups being called Christian that really shouldn't be. This has probably been since the beginning of Christianity. I remember it since Jim Jones and the Branch Davidaians. Regrettfully this will be used to smear all Christians.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

9. Amen Teallaura, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I am getting use to a whole bunch of groups being called Christian that really shouldn't be. This has probably been since the beginning of Christianity. I remember it since Jim Jones and the Branch Davidaians. Regrettfully this will be used to smear all Christians.
    Jones would have been the first to tell anyone he wasn't a Christian. Heck he wasn't even a theist. The Wikipedia entry on him accurately describes him as a "civil rights preacher." And from that article:

By the early 1970s, Jones began deriding Christianity as "fly away religion", rejecting the Bible as being a tool to oppress women and non-whites, and denouncing a "Sky God" who was no God at all.[16] He wrote a booklet titled "The Letter Killeth", criticizing the King James Bible.[43] Jones also began preaching that he was the reincarnation of Gandhi, Father Divine, Jesus, Gautama Buddha, and Vladimir Lenin. Former Temple member Hue Fortson, Jr. quoted him as saying, "What you need to believe in is what you can see…. If you see me as your friend, I'll be your friend. As you see me as your father, I'll be your father, for those of you that don't have a father…. If you see me as your savior, I'll be your savior. If you see me as your God, I'll be your God."[11]

In a 1976 phone conversation with John Maher, Jones alternately stated that he was an agnostic and an atheist.[44] Marceline Jones admitted in a 1977 New York Times interview that Jones was trying to promote Marxism in the U.S. by mobilizing people through religion, citing Mao as his inspiration.[40] She stated: "Jim used religion to try to get some people out of the opiate of religion". He had slammed the Bible on the table yelling "I've got to destroy this paper idol!"[40] In one sermon, Jones said, "You're gonna help yourself, or you'll get no help! There's only one hope of glory; that's within you! Nobody's gonna come out of the sky! There's no heaven up there! We'll have to make heaven down here!"[11]

He was an openly Marxist-Leninist atheist.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Jones would have been the first to tell anyone he wasn't a Christian. Heck he wasn't even a theist. The Wikipedia entry on him accurately describes him as a "civil rights preacher." And from that article:

By the early 1970s, Jones began deriding Christianity as "fly away religion", rejecting the Bible as being a tool to oppress women and non-whites, and denouncing a "Sky God" who was no God at all.[16] He wrote a booklet titled "The Letter Killeth", criticizing the King James Bible.[43] Jones also began preaching that he was the reincarnation of Gandhi, Father Divine, Jesus, Gautama Buddha, and Vladimir Lenin. Former Temple member Hue Fortson, Jr. quoted him as saying, "What you need to believe in is what you can see…. If you see me as your friend, I'll be your friend. As you see me as your father, I'll be your father, for those of you that don't have a father…. If you see me as your savior, I'll be your savior. If you see me as your God, I'll be your God."[11]

In a 1976 phone conversation with John Maher, Jones alternately stated that he was an agnostic and an atheist.[44] Marceline Jones admitted in a 1977 New York Times interview that Jones was trying to promote Marxism in the U.S. by mobilizing people through religion, citing Mao as his inspiration.[40] She stated: "Jim used religion to try to get some people out of the opiate of religion". He had slammed the Bible on the table yelling "I've got to destroy this paper idol!"[40] In one sermon, Jones said, "You're gonna help yourself, or you'll get no help! There's only one hope of glory; that's within you! Nobody's gonna come out of the sky! There's no heaven up there! We'll have to make heaven down here!"[11]

He was an openly Marxist-Leninist atheist.
    Was he ever a Bible teacher? I thought he started out as one, then really weirded out.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

12. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Was he ever a Bible teacher? I thought he started out as one, then really weirded out.
    That's what the movie showed but it's debated. Wikipedia doesn't support it - although he sought the pulpit with the Methodist church the Wiki article states he was attempting to infiltrate it.