Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 165

Thread: Confirmations of the New Testament

  1. #1
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,194
    Amen (Given)
    382
    Amen (Received)
    218

    Confirmations of the New Testament


    This video covers evidence that the New Testament is written accurately by eyewitnesses, confirmed by secular writers, archaeology, and cultural details that we know about from other sources. For example, it discusses the authenticity of the ossuary of James, the brother of Jesus, and the accuracy of saying 4 drachmas equals one shekel.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    Last edited by lee_merrill; 08-17-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  2. Amen Raphael, Revvy1337 amen'd this post.
  3. #2
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,183
    Amen (Given)
    1529
    Amen (Received)
    964
    I will take a close look, but all this has been here before, but it is understood by all that the Bible is set in history and contains historical facts like all ancient documents. It does not lead to the conclusion that the NT was written by eye witnesses.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  4. #3
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,183
    Amen (Given)
    1529
    Amen (Received)
    964
    The historical writings of China are considered more accurate than the West, including a very accurate description and dating and description of the greatest catastrophic river flood in Chinese history before written records were known, but they still report dragons, and supernatural occurrences.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-18-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  5. #4
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,964
    Amen (Given)
    6137
    Amen (Received)
    11757
    So, handwave followed by handwave. Keep up the good fight, shunya.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  6. Amen Raphael, Teallaura, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  7. #5
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,194
    Amen (Given)
    382
    Amen (Received)
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    … it is understood by all that the Bible is set in history and contains historical facts like all ancient documents. It does not lead to the conclusion that the NT was written by eye witnesses.
    Well, you need to address the points made in the video that the NT was written by eyewitnesses.

    The historical writings of China are considered more accurate than the West...
    Yet Luke has been proven over and over again to be an accurate historian. And does China show that the NT is inaccurate? No.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  8. Amen Raphael, Teallaura amen'd this post.
  9. #6
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    14,545
    Amen (Given)
    8402
    Amen (Received)
    5366
    Presupposition is not disproof.

  10. #7
    tWebber Rushing Jaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Near my best friend (see photo above)
    Faith
    Catholic XPian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    662
    Amen (Given)
    1907
    Amen (Received)
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I will take a close look, but all this has been here before, but it is understood by all that the Bible is set in history and contains historical facts like all ancient documents. It does not lead to the conclusion that the NT was written by eye witnesses.
    And it cannot confirm the *theological* claims of the NT, which are what really matter. It is small gain to know that Pontius Pilate occupied the position assigned him by the NT, if the theological claims of the NT are not true. It is their truth that is of crucial importance.
    Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 08-18-2019 at 05:25 PM.

  11. #8
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,183
    Amen (Given)
    1529
    Amen (Received)
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    So, handwave followed by handwave. Keep up the good fight, shunya.
    I have listened to the video, and yes all the points brought up in the video have been addressed in other threads throughout the history of Tweb. Again, it is recognized that the Bible is set in history, and historical accuracy of some facts does not make the NT a first recorded and witnessed account of the life of Jesus.

    All the historians cited recorded third hand information. This is well known.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  12. #9
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,183
    Amen (Given)
    1529
    Amen (Received)
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
    And it cannot confirm the *theological* claims of the NT, which are what really matter. It is small gain to know that Pontius Pilate occupied the position assigned him by the NT, if the theological claims of the NT are not true. It is their truth that is of crucial importance.
    OK from the perspective of the believer, but not the subject of the thread.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  13. #10
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,457
    Amen (Given)
    11861
    Amen (Received)
    25266
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I have listened to the video...
    But did you watch the audio?



    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  14. Amen Faber, Teallaura, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •