Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The part of texas summer where you sweat in your own house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The part of texas summer where you sweat in your own house.

Goodness gracious it feels like a toaster oven. My fan does little. Sleep is hard. What can I do about this?
    sigpic

Air conditioner. Buy one. It doesn't get better without it.

In the meantime:

Get some small towels and soak them. Wring out and place in the freezer (use wax paper between to keep them from freezing to each other). Once frozen (usually within an hour or two - depends on how wet they are), take one out and wrap around the base of your neck. Exchange them as needed.

Take a shower. Go to bed wet. Don't dry your hair - in fact, wet it again after it does dry.

Freeze water in soda bottles or whatever is available and put them (in a dish pan ) in front of the fan. Exchange as needed.

Open the TOP part of the window as well as the bottom - it let's hot air escape.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

In the meantime:

Get some small towels and soak them. Wring out and place in the freezer (use wax paper between to keep them from freezing to each other). Once frozen (usually within an hour or two - depends on how wet they are), take one out and wrap around the base of your neck. Exchange them as needed.

Take a shower. Go to bed wet. Don't dry your hair - in fact, wet it again after it does dry.

Freeze water in soda bottles or whatever is available and put them (in a dish pan ) in front of the fan. Exchange as needed.

Open the TOP part of the window as well as the bottom - it let's hot air escape.
      Thank you.
      sigpic

Comment

If you have 2 fans, put one in the open window in your bedroom facing into the room, and another one in another room in an open window facing out. Cool air is pulled through the rooms by this method and vented outside via the second fan.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

When I lived with my parents in south Texas, we had central air but my mother would not allow anyone to turn on the air conditioner at night. One of the things I did to keep cool was getting my pajamas wet and turning on the ceiling fan. I did eventually buy a window unit.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
            Goodness gracious it feels like a toaster oven. My fan does little. Sleep is hard. What can I do about this?
            Jump in the pool, even though it may feel a little soupy.

The cracks that usually form in the dirt in the pasture are big enough to reach your hand down into -- been a while since I've see it that bad.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              If you have 2 fans, put one in the open window in your bedroom facing into the room, and another one in another room in an open window facing out. Cool air is pulled through the rooms by this method and vented outside via the second fan.
              That's how you build a convection oven.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                They have those very nice "in room" ones that don't have to be installed in a window. They have really come down in price and gone up in quality.

Like this little guy...

global-air-portable-air-conditioners-ypl3-10c-64_1000.jpg

They're about $200, and can be moved from room to room. Often, there's just one vent hose that needs to be at a window.

They're really quiet and energy efficient, and they serve not just to cool, but to get rid of some of that $@&$&# humidity!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  They have those very nice "in room" ones that don't have to be installed in a window. They have really come down in price and gone up in quality.

Like this little guy...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39127[/ATTACH]

They're about $200, and can be moved from room to room. Often, there's just one vent hose that needs to be at a window.

They're really quiet and energy efficient, and they serve not just to cool, but to get rid of some of that $@&$&# humidity!
                  I got one for a guest who needed to be frozen. Keep in mind they take up room, so not ideal for tight spaces.
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    I got one for a guest who needed to be frozen. Keep in mind they take up room, so not ideal for tight spaces.

Did yours have kind of a "dryer hose" vent to the outside?

Some of them collect water in a pan, that needs to be emptied - those are mostly dehumidifiers. Most of the mobile air conditioners get rid of condendsate water and hot air by the "dryer hose" to the outside.

But you're certainly correct about the size - even though they're not very big, if you have a cramped room, they take up about the same footprint as a night stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Did yours have kind of a "dryer hose" vent to the outside?

Some of them collect water in a pan, that needs to be emptied - those are mostly dehumidifiers. Most of the mobile air conditioners get rid of condendsate water and hot air by the "dryer hose" to the outside.

But you're certainly correct about the size - even though they're not very big, if you have a cramped room, they take up about the same footprint as a night stand.
                      Couldn't the hose empty the water into a bathtub, shower or toilet if running it through a window isn't feasible?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Couldn't the hose empty the water into a bathtub, shower or toilet if running it through a window isn't feasible?
                        For a dehumidifier, yes, but for an air conditioner to be efficient, it has to exhaust the hot hair outside the cooled envelope, or it's working against itself.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          No, the hose mostly moves hot air out. It would be like trying to cool the house by opening the fridge.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

We had one of those with a dual hose, one brought air in and the other vents it out, all in the same thingy that sat in the window. It also worked as a dehumidifier, but we never actually used it because it is normally not as humid here as other parts of the world.

This year has been exceptionally humid, but we got central air about 4 years ago, so we gave our little portable conditioner away at that time.

It was placed in our dining room, and it did work well for that room and the living room, but unless you turned it to face the kitchen, it did little to cool that room off, and it did less to cool the bedrooms.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              We had one of those with a dual hose, one brought air in and the other vents it out, all in the same thingy that sat in the window. It also worked as a dehumidifier, but we never actually used it because it is normally not as humid here as other parts of the world.
                              Yeah, some of the newer units have a hose sleeved inside a hose, so you have inflow and outflow. The humidity (or condensate) is expelled with the hot air.

(or maybe that's what you're calling a "dual hose"?)

Comment