Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: The part of texas summer where you sweat in your own house.

  1. #21
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,487
    Amen (Given)
    11871
    Amen (Received)
    25280
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    We have screens in all our windows, always have had. So there was no issue for us with bugs coming in. We have sliding windows, which worked well to hold the ac thingy in the window, and just got a shortened old blind (shade) stick to "lock the window in place. Our daughter took the unit when we installed ac, but they have windows that crank out, so I don't know if it ever worked well for them. I don't know how the hoses can be held in place in that sort of window.
    Ah - I had switched to "window unit" in the window, where it's sticking out and you have to remove the screen. Yeah, with just the hose unit, the screens could stay in place.

    Back when I was a cop, and window units were becoming popular, burglars loved them. Many people didn't secure the partially opened window, just allowing its own weight to hold the unit in place. So the burglars, would slide the window up, steal the unit, then have ready access to the house through the open window.

    Central air so much more wunderfuller.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  2. Amen mossrose, Teallaura amen'd this post.
  3. #22
    42nd Mojave Year DesertBerean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Barstow, CA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    6,459
    Amen (Given)
    5504
    Amen (Received)
    2146
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Did yours have kind of a "dryer hose" vent to the outside?

    Some of them collect water in a pan, that needs to be emptied - those are mostly dehumidifiers. Most of the mobile air conditioners get rid of condendsate water and hot air by the "dryer hose" to the outside.

    But you're certainly correct about the size - even though they're not very big, if you have a cramped room, they take up about the same footprint as a night stand.
    Yeah mine has a dryer hose.

    There is a plug at the bottow that I'm supposed to open to make sure all the moisture drains out. I recall that even with units that sit mugwumps in the window, there has to be a drain anyways...? But it's definitely a AC
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 08-18-2019 at 02:03 PM.

  4. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  5. #23
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    14,548
    Amen (Given)
    8409
    Amen (Received)
    5369
    I've had two (well, three but the other one is still in the box) and they do work, but they don't last very long for me. The first one made it three years - the second about a year and a half. I'm keeping the third for emergencies - but I wouldn't recommend them except when you REALLY can't get a window unit.

    And honestly, a cheap window unit will last for years and handle a bedroom with no trouble - for less money. Even if you have to pay to have it installed like I did, you come out better.

  6. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
  7. #24
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,487
    Amen (Given)
    11871
    Amen (Received)
    25280
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I've had two (well, three but the other one is still in the box) and they do work, but they don't last very long for me. The first one made it three years - the second about a year and a half. I'm keeping the third for emergencies - but I wouldn't recommend them except when you REALLY can't get a window unit.

    And honestly, a cheap window unit will last for years and handle a bedroom with no trouble - for less money. Even if you have to pay to have it installed like I did, you come out better.
    Yeah, and the window unit market has become quite competitive, so they're quieter, cheaper, more energy efficient, less expensive....

    I have one in my office window at the Church because I'm often up there alone, and I hate to run the whole "office complex" unit just for my own office.

    They even come with remote controls, timers, efficiency modes...
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  8. Amen DesertBerean, mossrose, Teallaura amen'd this post.
  9. #25
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    14,548
    Amen (Given)
    8409
    Amen (Received)
    5369
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, and the window unit market has become quite competitive, so they're quieter, cheaper, more energy efficient, less expensive....

    I have one in my office window at the Church because I'm often up there alone, and I hate to run the whole "office complex" unit just for my own office.

    They even come with remote controls, timers, efficiency modes...
    I just got a new one installed in my bedroom - $150~ and it came with a remote! It has several modes but I haven't messed with it much yet.

    It was half the size of the 'small' unit it replaced!

    I've used but don't own right now window units that both heat and cool. It worked fine for chilly nights but I didn't live there during the winter so not sure I'd want to depend on just that. But it did work.

  10. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  11. #26
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,976
    Amen (Given)
    6145
    Amen (Received)
    11766
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Yeah mine has a dryer hose.

    There is a plug at the bottow that I'm supposed to open to make sure all the moisture drains out. I recall that even with units that sit mugwumps in the window, there has to be a drain anyways...? But it's definitely a AC
    The one I have now is actually designed to run with some water in the bottom of it; some people don't like that and drill a drain hole, but the idea is that the circulating fan blowing over water has a cooling effect. It works well as a dehumidifier, though (and larger units have air purifiers built in as well).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  12. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  13. #27
    42nd Mojave Year DesertBerean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Barstow, CA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    6,459
    Amen (Given)
    5504
    Amen (Received)
    2146
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    The one I have now is actually designed to run with some water in the bottom of it; some people don't like that and drill a drain hole, but the idea is that the circulating fan blowing over water has a cooling effect. It works well as a dehumidifier, though (and larger units have air purifiers built in as well).
    I just checked my unit - it does have a DRY option which means it can dehumidfy. So I guess that answers my question.

  14. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  15. #28
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,487
    Amen (Given)
    11871
    Amen (Received)
    25280
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I just checked my unit - it does have a DRY option which means it can dehumidfy. So I guess that answers my question.
    Pretty much any air conditioner is a dehumidifier, as well, simply by how they work.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  16. Amen DesertBerean, Teallaura amen'd this post.
  17. #29
    tWebber TheWall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,560
    Amen (Given)
    1453
    Amen (Received)
    1710
    Air conditioner got fixed. Yay.

  18. #30
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,573
    Amen (Given)
    1091
    Amen (Received)
    18764
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    The one I have now is actually designed to run with some water in the bottom of it; some people don't like that and drill a drain hole, but the idea is that the circulating fan blowing over water has a cooling effect. It works well as a dehumidifier, though (and larger units have air purifiers built in as well).
    Sounds something like a "swamp cooler" and increasing the humidity by having a fan blow over water does not work all that well in areas with high humidity.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  19. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •