Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The part of texas summer where you sweat in your own house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, some of the newer units have a hose sleeved inside a hose, so you have inflow and outflow. The humidity (or condensate) is expelled with the hot air.

(or maybe that's what you're calling a "dual hose"?)

No, it actually had 2 hoses that attached to the back of the unit, and both fit into strip that went into the window, held there by the partially closed window.

I took pictures of it when we were getting rid of it. I'll try to find them, if I still have them.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      No, it actually had 2 hoses that attached to the back of the unit, and both fit into strip that went into the window, held there by the partially closed window.

I took pictures of it when we were getting rid of it. I'll try to find them, if I still have them.
      No, that's exactly what I thought you meant - very common. The idea of the one "hose in a hose" was so that you could vent it through a hole in the wall just like you would vent a dryer hose.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, that's exactly what I thought you meant - very common. The idea of the one "hose in a hose" was so that you could vent it through a hole in the wall just like you would vent a dryer hose.
        And I can't find the photos, so I probably deleted them.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

And I can't find the photos, so I probably deleted them.
          The problem with venting through a partially closed window was that the top of the window that was partially open had to also be insulated with a foam strip or something to keep bugs from coming in. But we're on the same page!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The problem with venting through a partially closed window was that the top of the window that was partially open had to also be insulated with a foam strip or something to keep bugs from coming in. But we're on the same page!
            We have screens in all our windows, always have had. So there was no issue for us with bugs coming in. We have sliding windows, which worked well to hold the ac thingy in the window, and just got a shortened old blind (shade) stick to "lock the window in place. Our daughter took the unit when we installed ac, but they have windows that crank out, so I don't know if it ever worked well for them. I don't know how the hoses can be held in place in that sort of window.

Comment

We have screens in all our windows, always have had. So there was no issue for us with bugs coming in. We have sliding windows, which worked well to hold the ac thingy in the window, and just got a shortened old blind (shade) stick to "lock the window in place. Our daughter took the unit when we installed ac, but they have windows that crank out, so I don't know if it ever worked well for them. I don't know how the hoses can be held in place in that sort of window.
              Ah - I had switched to "window unit" in the window, where it's sticking out and you have to remove the screen. Yeah, with just the hose unit, the screens could stay in place.

Back when I was a cop, and window units were becoming popular, burglars loved them. Many people didn't secure the partially opened window, just allowing its own weight to hold the unit in place. So the burglars, would slide the window up, steal the unit, then have ready access to the house through the open window.

Central air so much more wunderfuller.

Comment

Did yours have kind of a "dryer hose" vent to the outside?

Some of them collect water in a pan, that needs to be emptied - those are mostly dehumidifiers. Most of the mobile air conditioners get rid of condendsate water and hot air by the "dryer hose" to the outside.

But you're certainly correct about the size - even though they're not very big, if you have a cramped room, they take up about the same footprint as a night stand.
                Yeah mine has a dryer hose.

There is a plug at the bottow that I'm supposed to open to make sure all the moisture drains out. I recall that even with units that sit mugwumps in the window, there has to be a drain anyways...? But it's definitely a AC
                Last edited by DesertBerean; 08-18-2019, 04:03 PM.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I've had two (well, three but the other one is still in the box) and they do work, but they don't last very long for me. The first one made it three years - the second about a year and a half. I'm keeping the third for emergencies - but I wouldn't recommend them except when you REALLY can't get a window unit.

And honestly, a cheap window unit will last for years and handle a bedroom with no trouble - for less money. Even if you have to pay to have it installed like I did, you come out better.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    I've had two (well, three but the other one is still in the box) and they do work, but they don't last very long for me. The first one made it three years - the second about a year and a half. I'm keeping the third for emergencies - but I wouldn't recommend them except when you REALLY can't get a window unit.

And honestly, a cheap window unit will last for years and handle a bedroom with no trouble - for less money. Even if you have to pay to have it installed like I did, you come out better.
                    Yeah, and the window unit market has become quite competitive, so they're quieter, cheaper, more energy efficient, less expensive....

I have one in my office window at the Church because I'm often up there alone, and I hate to run the whole "office complex" unit just for my own office.

They even come with remote controls, timers, efficiency modes...

Comment

Yeah, and the window unit market has become quite competitive, so they're quieter, cheaper, more energy efficient, less expensive....

I have one in my office window at the Church because I'm often up there alone, and I hate to run the whole "office complex" unit just for my own office.

They even come with remote controls, timers, efficiency modes...
                      I just got a new one installed in my bedroom - $150~ and it came with a remote! It has several modes but I haven't messed with it much yet.

It was half the size of the 'small' unit it replaced!

I've used but don't own right now window units that both heat and cool. It worked fine for chilly nights but I didn't live there during the winter so not sure I'd want to depend on just that. But it did work.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                        Yeah mine has a dryer hose.

There is a plug at the bottow that I'm supposed to open to make sure all the moisture drains out. I recall that even with units that sit mugwumps in the window, there has to be a drain anyways...? But it's definitely a AC
                        The one I have now is actually designed to run with some water in the bottom of it; some people don't like that and drill a drain hole, but the idea is that the circulating fan blowing over water has a cooling effect. It works well as a dehumidifier, though (and larger units have air purifiers built in as well).
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          The one I have now is actually designed to run with some water in the bottom of it; some people don't like that and drill a drain hole, but the idea is that the circulating fan blowing over water has a cooling effect. It works well as a dehumidifier, though (and larger units have air purifiers built in as well).
                          I just checked my unit - it does have a DRY option which means it can dehumidfy. So I guess that answers my question.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            I just checked my unit - it does have a DRY option which means it can dehumidfy. So I guess that answers my question.
                            Pretty much any air conditioner is a dehumidifier, as well, simply by how they work.

Comment

Air conditioner got fixed. Yay.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Sounds something like a "swamp cooler" and increasing the humidity by having a fan blow over water does not work all that well in areas with high humidity.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment